Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera Ship Date Imminent? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-20-2013, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
As they would say in the movie War Games, "confidence is high". Of course we all know how that turned out smile.gif

That said, B&H has their hands on the BPCC and reports that they will receive first shipment on July 25th. And Wooden Cameras has several videos up demonstrating the camera with their accessories. Here's their overview video:

More details here.

Can't wait!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-21-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm looking forward to it. I just returned my Black Magic Cinema Camera MFT mount and will stick with the pocket cinema and possibly a 5D Mark III for its RAW and tons of feature. Or I may just add a complimentary Gh3 for the slow-mo. biggrin.gif I'm most likely going to pair the pocket cinema with the Nikon G to MFT mount speedbooster so the 3.07x crop will be about 2.18x crop (a bit less than the BMCC) and one stop faster (ie; it's like turning it into a native 1,600 ISO camera with 13 stops DR). I plan to pair that combo along with the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8, which will be about the full frame equivalent of 24-35mm F2.0 w/speedbooster. And also will pair it with the new Sigma 18-35mm F1.8, which will be 39-76mm F1.2 w/speedbooster.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-21-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sounds like a great plan, MT. I'm probably going to stick with the GH3 as my complement to the BPCC. I am very tempted by the Nikon to MFT Speed Booster - but I will probably wait for the Canon version so I can rent a 5D Mark III or a Canon C100 if I need to.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #4 of 14 Old 07-22-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera video - recorded at 220mbps ProRes 422. Sadly, no CinemaDNG RAW yet:

My take on it here.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #5 of 14 Old 07-24-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

New Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera video - recorded at 220mbps ProRes 422. Sadly, no CinemaDNG RAW yet:

My take on it here.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Saw this on BMCUser. The footage looks absolutely amazing coming out of such a tiny camera for such a small price. Even better, is that that this is only ProRes, and RAW is even more capable in post. biggrin.gif This camera is revolutionary and will be even more of a BEAST with speedbooster. It will be like having native 1,600 ISO with 13 stop of dynamic range. smile.gif
post #6 of 14 Old 07-25-2013, 05:47 PM

Liked: 11
Can't wait to get this sucker underwater.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-26-2013, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

International stores are now committing to in-stock dates:

Kiwi camera store Rubber Monkey says they'll have the Pocket Cinema Camera in stock for NZ$1595 on July 31st: http://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/Video/Video-Cameras/Video-Cameras/Blackmagic-Design-Pocket-Cinema-Camera

UK store CVP has posted an "expected" date of July 31st and a US$1025 price: http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/blackmagic_pocket_cinema_camera_mft

It would certainly be nice to see dates from Adorama and B&H!
post #8 of 14 Old 07-26-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Official statement from Blackmagic on new camera shipping:

Simon Westland of Blackmagic Design EMEA

"Blackmagic Design is making significant progress in production of the new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and Blackmagic Production Camera 4K. Full production manufacturing is underway on the Pocket Cinema Camera with first production units in final testing. This is inline with our initial expectations of the end of July and means the camera will start to ship in quantity during August. There are several weeks of work to do on Production Camera 4K before this will enter full production manufacturing, however we expect to ship the first quantities of this model before the end of August."
post #9 of 14 Old 03-13-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera marked down to $895 for one day only at Adorama via eBay!
post #10 of 14 Old 03-15-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a quick and completely random "Day for Night" test grade I did to see how far I could push a daylight image and dynamic range to resemble a full moon lit night. Best to click the image, so the forum's white border doesn't make it look darker than it should. Looks like the gamma shifted slightly after uploading as well.. Love the flexibility of RAW. An actual moon lit night like this is very difficult to capture the dark sky without too much noise and severely underexposed shadows and mid-tones. Not to mention in very low light you get poorer color saturation. This way the sun acts as a full moon and key light source. Of course their would be rules to follow for this method and it won't always work for every shot, but one trick is to make sure your highlights don't clip on any channel (ie; don't use 100% zebra. More like 75-85%). smile.gif

post #11 of 14 Old 03-17-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
RAW really makes things more fun. I cant wait to put my hands on 4k RAW.

It gives you freedom to be creative. And yes, I like heavy grading. And I like it for the same reason why people buy surrealistic paintings and dont hang pictures on their walls.

Here is my before/after, taken this weekend.

post #12 of 14 Old 03-18-2014, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

McDonalds "Supergood" first person POV ad campaign shot on $995 Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CWLSHUK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00CWLSHUK&linkCode=as2&tag=battleforthew-20

The Director/DP's rationale for selecting the BMPCC was interesting:
Quote:
“I also wanted it to look authentic, as if you are looking through a human eye, not a camera, so the footage had to have a sophisticated, cinematic look. Even though it’s a roving, quick point of view, I didn’t want over sharpened, highly compressed images or barreling distortion with a fish eye look. I wanted a naturalistic wide lens look with correct corners and smooth, high quality images, and I couldn’t have done it with any other tool...”

So, no 8-bit cameras and no GoPros smile.gif

http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com/2014/03/mcdonalds-supergood-ad-campaign-shot.html
post #13 of 14 Old 03-25-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Great behind-the-scenes pics and article - Rodney Charters (ASC, CSC) shoots with $40,000 Arri Alexa and $995 Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera on the set of the hit TNT show, Dallas: http://hybridcamerarevolution.blogspot.com/2014/03/see-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-on.html
post #14 of 14 Old 04-15-2014, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

TV commercial production company chooses $995 Pocket Cinema Camera over Alexa, RED and Canon Cinema EOS. I love the part where he convinces the client that it's OK to shoot the commercial with the BMPCC by comparing it to an iPhone smile.gif

http://blog.planet5d.com/2014/04/iconic-olympic-commercial-with-a-us-ski-jumper-shot-in-bmpc-raw/

Here's the final color-corrected cut:

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page