Camera/Camcorder conundrum - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 09-03-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Now that I have decided on my camera purchase (got the money sitting in the bank just waiting for the right time!!! smile.gif ) I am looking to upgrade my computer. My system is also acting up, so it is time to upgrade most of the components.

But I have a few more questions I'm hoping the more experienced guys can answer.

Since I will be likely doing my filming with a combination of the MP4 and AVCHD (for longer shots) I need something to edit those files.

I will be using my current Vegas 11.

As it stands right now, I have a few options. I want to get the best performance for my $$. So I need to decide what to spend my money on. Here are my thoughts..

I can get:
1.) AMD FX-8320 eight core CPU + nvidia GTX 550 ti
2.) AMD FX-8320 eight core CPU + 8GB ram (putting my total at 12GB) and stick with my current radeon HD 4870
3.) AMD FX-6300 six core CPU + Radeon HD 7700
4.) AMD FX-4350 quad core CPU + nvidia GTX 560 ti OR Radeon HD 7850

So what would be my best option to beef up my system? I am currently rocking 4GB of DDR3. Should I go with the 8/6 core CPU and upgrade the RAM? 8/6 core with a video card that can handle some CUDA and OpenCL (no opencl for the 4870 )

Or maybe the quad core and a combo of GPU and RAM upgrades? Or the 4 core with a higher level GPU? There are so many choices. I'm not looking for top of the line. I'm looking at budget.

Thanks again everyone for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 09-03-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezgod View Post

Now that I have decided on my camera purchase (got the money sitting in the bank just waiting for the right time!!! smile.gif ) I am looking to upgrade my computer. My system is also acting up, so it is time to upgrade most of the components.

But I have a few more questions I'm hoping the more experienced guys can answer.

Since I will be likely doing my filming with a combination of the MP4 and AVCHD (for longer shots) I need something to edit those files.

I will be using my current Vegas 11.

As it stands right now, I have a few options. I want to get the best performance for my $$. So I need to decide what to spend my money on. Here are my thoughts..

I can get:
1.) AMD FX-8320 eight core CPU + nvidia GTX 550 ti
2.) AMD FX-8320 eight core CPU + 8GB ram (putting my total at 12GB) and stick with my current radeon HD 4870
3.) AMD FX-6300 six core CPU + Radeon HD 7700
4.) AMD FX-4350 quad core CPU + nvidia GTX 560 ti OR Radeon HD 7850

So what would be my best option to beef up my system? I am currently rocking 4GB of DDR3. Should I go with the 8/6 core CPU and upgrade the RAM? 8/6 core with a video card that can handle some CUDA and OpenCL (no opencl for the 4870 )

Or maybe the quad core and a combo of GPU and RAM upgrades? Or the 4 core with a higher level GPU? There are so many choices. I'm not looking for top of the line. I'm looking at budget.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Do you have something against Intel? I have never found AMD chips to be good at decoding AVCHD video. An external GPU is a good idea, and you want CUDA (Nvidia) I think for Vegas, since it is optimized for it.
post #33 of 38 Old 09-03-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Do you have something against Intel? I have never found AMD chips to be good at decoding AVCHD video. An external GPU is a good idea, and you want CUDA (Nvidia) I think for Vegas, since it is optimized for it.

Nope, nothing against intel. It's just the price/performance is better with AMD. For similar performance, I'd need at least an i7 3770 (4core/8thread) which runs about $250, vs the 8320 (8core/8thread) which runs $150.

With my budget set the way it is, I just can't get the same performance/dollar if I go with the intel.

I need to get a new motherboard/cpu and power supply. I have budgeted myself $300 or less for the updates.

Here is what I had planned on buying..

http://www.microcenter.com/product/401796/FX_8320_Black_Edition_35GHz_AM3_Boxed_Processor

http://www.microcenter.com/product/388180/970DE3-U3S3_770_AM3_ATX_AMD_Motherboard

http://www.microcenter.com/product/378824/Maximum_Power_650_Watt_ATX_Power_Supply

so that leaves me with these 2 options...and I go a little bit over budget...

http://www.microcenter.com/product/409617/GeForce_GTX_550Ti_1GB_PCI-Express_Video_Card_-_Refurbished

OR

http://www.microcenter.com/product/385181/Ballistix_Sport_8GB_DDR3-1600_%28PC3-12800%29_CL9_Desktop_Memory_Module
post #34 of 38 Old 09-03-2013, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 129
The Intel chip you cited is last generation. And for video encoding/decoding, what is your reference about the performance comparison of the AMD versus the Intel, for the current-generation? As I understand it at the high end AMD is not competitive with high-end Intel (I am not selling anything).

Also, my understanding of computer economics is that it is almost never cost effective to build your own computer compared with purchasing whole computers (it's economies of scale). Perhaps you should go to a computer site for advice.
post #35 of 38 Old 09-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
everything i hear, dont skimp on the psu! the mbrd doesnt list amd fx as a compatible cpu, even tho the socket is am3+. maybe im missing something there?
post #36 of 38 Old 09-03-2013, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

The Intel chip you cited is last generation. And for video encoding/decoding, what is your reference about the performance comparison of the AMD versus the Intel, for the current-generation? As I understand it at the high end AMD is not competitive with high-end Intel (I am not selling anything).

Also, my understanding of computer economics is that it is almost never cost effective to build your own computer compared with purchasing whole computers (it's economies of scale). Perhaps you should go to a computer site for advice.

Some benchmarks. Note: the fx-8320 is just a down clocked fx-8350 (which has an unlocked multiplier and can run at the same clock speed easily.)
ve

In single threaded applications, Intel tends to wipe the floor with amd. There is no question about that. But in multi threaded programs, they are on par with more expensive Intel models.

With regard to the buy vs build. It is almost always cheaper to build if you are patient in getting your components. Take for example an HP computer. Go on their website and often to,es they will charge $150 for a processor 'upgrade' when the price difference between the 2 models is $30 if you just bought it.

Aside from that...I already have a case, hard drives, ram, and my operating system. So really, all I am doing is upgrading a few components.
Quote:
. everything i hear, dont skimp on the psu! the mbrd doesnt list amd fx as a compatible cpu, even tho the socket is am3+. maybe im missing something there?

The thing I liked about that PSU ( other than the price) was the fact that everything is on a single +12v line. The psu also has plenty of good reviews. Also, I have heard of other people's builds using that CPU/mobo combo. Their website lists am3+ processors up to 140w, including 'fx-8300' This one is only 125w. So it should work fine.

edit: You know what....I think I'll be safe on the mobo...they released an 'updated' version of that motherboard.

980DE3-U3S3 that specifically states that it supports the fx-8320.

Unfortunately, that leaves me now with enough budget to upgrade my RAM and not my video card. Unless I drop down th the FX-6300, but then I lose 2 cores!
post #37 of 38 Old 11-27-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Since. Last we spoke, I have built my editing rig, and I am now about to jump on the amazing g6 deals going on right now!!

with that in mind, I'm going to need to pick up a few accessories with it. Has anybody used any of those wasabi batteries? Or is it recommended to stick with panny's batteries? Also is there any particular lens filters I should get? Or any other must haves?

thanks again for all your help guys! Greatly appreciated!
post #38 of 38 Old 11-27-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi pezgod - Your timing is great - the Panasonic G6 is $498 right now with the 14-42 kit lens right now at B&H - but I would jump on it - no telling how long the sale will last - prices are starting to creep up at Amazon and Adorama, where it is now $548, as of this post.

I would stick with OEM Panasonic batteries because third party batteries may not be able to communicate 'power remaining' and other information to the camera.

I do recommend an inexpensive $14 third party AC adapter so you can plug the camera in for long continuous recordings indoors.

The filters I recommend for your starter lens (46mm filter diameter) are:

- UV (to protect the lens more than anything else),

- a circular polarizer to keep the sky from washing out and

- a variable ND for depth of field control when outdoors (I use a 77mm variable ND with the appropriate step up ring for each of my lenses).

I assume you have a tripod? If not, I recommend the $140 Ravelli AVTP Professional. A great value for money fluid head tripod.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page