$3000 budget for another camcorder for class. What would you get? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have another camcorder to get from a grant received. I can spend around $3000 or a little more but not much more. What camcorder would you get? No real low light issues but I think when you get to this level most do well in low light anyway. Now, we don't have to spend it all if something for cheaper is better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Handheld our shoulder-mount. Fixed lens or not. Smaller sensor - larger sensor. CMOS or CCD (if you really need CCD). What media. What codec. What container. (The three above can be affected by computer system and NLE you are going to use). Any preference of a manufacturer. Interlaced or progressive (there are some cheap shoulder-mount interlaced-only cams). HD only or HD/SD. 60Hz scanning only or worldcam. Mini-jack or XLR. HDMI or HD-SDI. Buttons or touch-screen.

Lots of choices for this price. Some camcorders are better for some particular tasks than other. You need to figure out what you want, how you are going to edit, what other formats you are going to use, what is your NLE, what is your computer hardware, what style of videos you are going to create, etc, then narrow the choices, then decide.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
The AC90 has a ton of features including XLR inputs and only costs 1,739. Then theirs the Canon XA20 for $2,200. The XA20 is also feature packed and is a little smaller and lighter than the AC90.. The XA25 adds, HD-SDI output for $2,699. Might not be a feature the school needs. Although it's a little over budget, theirs the Panasonic AC130A. Unfortunately theirs no 1080 60p mode like the prior camcorders I mentioned but it's a higher class camera with 3X 1/3" chips. The price is $3,380. It's also the biggest and heaviest of the cameras I mentioned. I left out the Canon G30 ($1,699) since theirs no XLR inputs. It's true that you can get something like the Zoom H6 for $400 to go with it. Basically something like the Panasonic AC90, AC130 and the Canon XA20 would be good choices since they all have adequate features.

That's if you want a traditional type camera.

If this is going to be handheld by small students, then the XA20 might be the best choice in this case since it's the smallest and lightest.

-Correction-
Price of AC130 is $3,380

My Youtube page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Flickr page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is going to be tripod mounted most of the time at this point. I had narrowed it down to three choices and you kind of reaffirmed them. One was the Panasonic AG-AC90, the other was the Canon XA20, and the final was the Canon XF100. It is really a toss up overall as to which one to get. I don't think that anyone in the class or anyone else around will be able to tell the difference between the AC90 and the other two. I would save a lot of money and I could put that toward something else. As time goes by and we upgrade equipment maybe something better would be in the books but for now maybe the AC90 is the way I go unless someone can justify why something else other than the AC90.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi again ingeborgdot - Paulo has given you a great selection of <$3000 small sensor camcorders, which would be good for a TV/video production class. But if it's a film and TV production class, you may want to look at large sensor options such as the $3198 (with 18-200mm power zoom lens) Sony NEX-EA50. It's a large sensor, interchangeable lens shoulder mount with XLR inputs that shoots 1080/60p for nice smooth action or slow motion. Here is what this camera can do:

And here is a great review from Philip Johnston, the HD Warrior (this is the European model, so it shoots 1080/50p instead of 1080/60p):

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page