How water resistant is Sony HXR-NX70U? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 08-17-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had the Sony HXR-NX70U for about 2 months now and shoot mostly falconry videos with it and have also used it for class projects but have never had a chance to test its water resistant abilities.

I am going to be going on vacation with my family in early November to Disney world and I don't have another camera so I am going to be bringing my NX70 with me to record.
I want to do ride footage and other stuff and want opinions on how camera would fair. Only 2 rides I know of that really would get you wet, 1 is Splash Mountain which I know the camera could handle since its not a lot of water.
The other is Kali River Rapids in Animal Kingdom. On that ride (if anyone has or hasnt been) you can get just a little splash or you could get a wave crashing down on you (watch a video of ride for example).

The camera would never be submerged or anything just at worst hit with a wave, I'm just not sure if the camera could handle that or not.. (I have the SquareTrade warranty on it but i'd rather not have to use it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-18-2013, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi OsiViper - I don't think you'll have any problems. Have you seen the Sony marketing video from when the NX70 was first introduced? It's pretty compelling:

And here is the NX70 display from NAB 2011, where Sony had the camera under a shower head:

This was one of the reasons for the buzz around the NX70 when it was first introduced. At the time, it was the least expensive pro waterproof solution. Now, at $1999, it is an even better deal.

Your camera should be OK at Disney.

Have a great vacation!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 3 Old 08-18-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea, I love the camera. Shoots great footage, love the image stabilization (not quite as nice as the new NX30).
And its not so large that it would be a pain to lug around on vacation.

Thanks for the reply. I thought it would be okay to use, just wasn't sure.
I saw the videos a while ago, but saw this one recently:

He used a heavier water flow than the sony test. He said
"To truly test the NX70′s rainproof capability I created the CVP CamShower (TM) system which was attached to the tripod and generated a localised tropical rainstorm of biblical intensity under which the NX70 shot a variety of test footage. During literally hours of water torture the NX70 performed flawlessly."
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page