Canon Camcorder direct copy to HDD - USB 3.0 HDD not working? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2013, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't seem to get a decent answer on this anywhere (Canon support information for the direct copy to HDD feature is weak at best), so thought i'd send out the question to the guru's on AVS smile.gif

So i've got a Canon Vixia HF M52, and also have the direct to USB HDD cable (UA-100), i've had success with portable USB2.0 drives but they're becoming more difficult to find due to the proliferation and cost of the portable USB 3.0 drives frown.gif Now I was able to find a portable USB 3.0 drive that had external power capabilities but I did not have any luck with the drive and wanted to see if anyone else has had any success.

Now if I can't find a decent solution to this, and don't want to lug around my laptop what other solutions\recommendations are out there to have a portable backup solution for my videos that i'm capturing?

These are the items i'm playing with right now;
Canon HF R52
Canon UA-100 (direct USB HDD cable)
OWC Mercury On-the-Go Pro (USB3.0 \ Firewire drive)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Here is a list of simple solutions. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Stand-Alone-Data-Storage/ci/3369/N/4083163867 Most seem expensive.

For simple backup, I would pick the one for $149: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/681428-REG/Digital_Foci_P19_500_PST_251_Photo_Safe_II.html

The more common solution is to buy enough SD cards that if one does fail, only part the data disappears. The reality is that the SD card failure rate is very low.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
USB 3 drives may need more power than the camera can provide. My USB 3 drives came with Y-shaped cable (one connector to the drive, two connectors to a computer) to draw power from two USB ports. These drives do not work when connected only to one USB port on my computer, they just click and cannot start.

Um, are you saying that your drive is powered externally, NOT through USB? In this case I cannot help. My Sony BD player is very finicky in this matter. It works with Buffalo USB-powered drives, but does not work with older Buffalo drives that have external power, go figure. Works with WD drive too.
post #4 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup5 View Post

So i've got a Canon Vixia HF M52, and also have the direct to USB HDD cable (UA-100), i've had success with portable USB2.0 drives but they're becoming more difficult to find due to the proliferation and cost of the portable USB 3.0 drives
These are the items i'm playing with right now;
Canon HF R52
Canon UA-100 (direct USB HDD cable)
OWC Mercury On-the-Go Pro (USB3.0 \ Firewire drive)

Are you using the camcorder battery or power adepter as the camera's power source?

If battery, try the plug-in power and see if different results.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

Are you using the camcorder battery or power adepter as the camera's power source?

If battery, try the plug-in power and see if different results.

Using camera plugged into power source, I don't think the camera will allow you to transfer video to the portable HDD without the camera being connect to external power. Additionally the hard drive is being powered through an external power source as well (it's not being bus powered, I don't think the camera has that capability).

This was a great idea IMHO from Canon, unfortunately it appears not much research went into it (unless i'm missing out on something). It also appears that the G10, G20 & G30 didn't support this feature (which is odd).
post #6 of 7 Old 08-20-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
In case you missed this...

According to the manual, it is important to initialize (aka "format") the external hard drive via the controls/settings on the HF M52 camcorder. (Which will erase everything on the hard drive.)

From then on, you can transfer the video files from the camcorder to the hard drive. (Meaning you don't have to initialize the drive every time you do a video transfer, but it has to first be set up/initialized that way in the beginning of using the drive.)

If you already have files on the drive, without initializing the drive from the camcorder, it won't work.

post #7 of 7 Old 08-21-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information XFWS,

Unfortunately I'm not able to see drive to initialize it in the USB3.0 enclosure, if I pull the drive and place it into a USB 2.0 enclosure it sees it fine and I can initialize it.

I'm OK with using it in the USB 2.0 enclosure, but the enclosure has been a little flaky so I would prefer to use it in the USB 3.0 enclosure (which also has firewire 800 support).
Reply Camcorders