Canon HF R400 Stops Recording? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello! smile.gif

For some reason, my Canon HF R400 Camcorder (probably a week old) stops recording in the middle of recordings.

This has happened to me multiple times.

Today, I was recording a Piano cover, and it stopped recording around 2 minutes into it! I didn't even know until I watched it later on.
I tried it again, with the same result.

I read that it could be some sensor overheating, but the cam isn't turning off; It's just stopping the recording. Anyone know why?

Thanks! biggrin.gif

Sahil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It may be that you have it set to MP4 recording format and stops once it hits a storage limit.

If you set it to "AVCHD", you can keep recording for as long as you have power and/or memory space.

AVCHD produces mts files and one mts file should be enough for a song without the need to do anything else to it...but if you record for an extended period of time (like a play, event, etc.) the recording gets broken into separate mts files that need to be joined together on your computer into one file (later/after recording done) with either the included Pixela software that came with the camcorder, freeware tsmuxer or editors such as Sony Vegas, Premiere, etc.

Once the card is in a card reader or connected to your camcorder via USB, if you navigate through the folders, the mts files (all you need) are located in the STREAM folder.

This is not unique to your camcorder, with most current camcorders this has to be done. The files will still be there but to have continuous playback as one file, the individual files need to be joined together.

BTW, these Canon camcorders don't run risk of overheating such as the case with something like a T2i DSLR camera.
SahilC likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

It may be that you have it set to MP4 recording format and stops once it hits a storage limit.

If you set it to "AVCHD", you can keep recording for as long as you have power and/or memory space.

AVCHD produces mts files and one mts file should be enough for a song without the need to do anything else to it...but if you record for an extended period of time (like a play, event, etc.) the recording gets broken into separate mts files that need to be joined together on your computer into one file (later/after recording done) with either the included Pixela software that came with the camcorder, freeware tsmuxer or editors such as Sony Vegas, Premiere, etc.

Once the card is in a card reader or connected to your camcorder via USB, if you navigate through the folders, the mts files (all you need) are located in the STREAM folder.

This is not unique to your camcorder, with most current camcorders this has to be done. The files will still be there but to have continuous playback as one file, the individual files need to be joined together.

BTW, these Canon camcorders don't run risk of overheating such as the case with something like a T2i DSLR camera.

Thanks for your reply!

Storage limit? But I have a 16 gig SD card. Is there some other 'limit' I'm unaware of?

Aren't AVCHD files bigger? I think I read somewhere that MP4 is better for uploading to YouTube.
By the way, at the moment, I'm using mp4 at 60fps.

Now, if I DO start to use AVCHD, is what I'm saying correct: every time I upload the video, I'll have to join the multiple videos into one, then convert into a smaller file to upload to youtube?
post #4 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What are the settings you have set that causes your camera to stop recording ? It has to be something with the way your recording . I have a M50 and I have looked but I can't find anything on the camera but will check out the manual . I shoot in Manual Mode so I can control most of my settings and I use the AVCHD format all the time . I have tried MP4 and they're ok for looking at on your computer but if you want to record a DVD and watch on your TV you need to record in AVCHD . One big problem that I have found is no matter where you upload they are going to edit your movie again reguardless unless you are a paying customer . YouTube and Vimeo is where I use but not a paying customer to either so even tho Vimeo looks way better than YouTube they still edit your video to some length . I've not really found a reason to use the Cinemax mode yet and I don't like auto unless I don't care how the movie turns out . Try recording in manual mode with AVCHD and see if that still stops recording after a couple minutes . If it has nothing to do with your settings then perhaps you have a defective camera and I would contact support at canon about this before you go too long . You say you have had the camera for about a month . Has it done this from the very beginning ? BTW your SD Card should not effect the recording time in anyway and even in AVCHD with highest recording modes recording should not stop at 2 min intervals , only when the card is full . I don't read where the R400 has any internal memory . That is one disadvantage of a camera that does not have a built in memory frown.gif . One thing I like about my M50 is it has 8-gig internal flash drive and only one slot for a SD card which I use a 32-gig card .
SahilC likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilC View Post

Thanks for your reply!

Storage limit? But I have a 16 gig SD card. Is there some other 'limit' I'm unaware of?

Aren't AVCHD files bigger? I think I read somewhere that MP4 is better for uploading to YouTube.
By the way, at the moment, I'm using mp4 at 60fps.

Now, if I DO start to use AVCHD, is what I'm saying correct: every time I upload the video, I'll have to join the multiple videos into one, then convert into a smaller file to upload to youtube?

I meant limit as for as when recording in MP4. My impressions were it has limitations, but I'm not familiar enough with the mp4 setting - someone else would be better to comment on that.

In AVCHD, you should be able to have enough for one file/one song without having to join.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

@Ronlhodgh- I'm on stock settings, just I set it to Mp4 at 60 fps. That's it. Nothing else. And I've had it for a couple weeks, yes.

@xfws - but that doesn't make any sense to me. I did get one cover up last week, and it recorded properly about 3 minutes. And I don't think they'd even include mp4 if it could only record for half a minute, right?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-24-2013, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
According to the specifications this is what it should record with a 32-gig SD card ;

32GB SD Memory Card in AVCHD:*
LP (1440 x 1080) 12 hours 15 minutes**
FXP (1920 x 1080) 4 hours 10 minutes**
MXP (1920 x 1080) 2 hours 55 minutes**
NTSC 60p (1920 x 1080) 2 hours 30 minutes**

32GB SD Memory Card in MP4:
4Mbps (1280 x 720): 17 hrs. 20 min.
17Mbps (1920 x 1080): 4 hr. 10 min.
24Mbps (1920 x 1080): 2 hr. 55 min.
35Mbps (1920 x 1080): 2 hr. 20 min.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/consumer_camcorders/vixia_hf_r400#Specifications
post #8 of 8 Old 08-25-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilC View Post

@xfws - but that doesn't make any sense to me. I did get one cover up last week, and it recorded properly about 3 minutes. And I don't think they'd even include mp4 if it could only record for half a minute, right?

I had initially thought the MP4 feature only recorded one 4GB clip without continuing ..but Ron's post shows otherwise.
/sorry about that
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page