Canon HF G30 problem/question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2013, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought a new Canon HF G30. I'm a hobbyist, and not particularly picky (I don't think). The camera is great, and has more options/features than anything I've owned before. But I began to notice a vignette effect when zoomed in to full telephoto. It began to bother me enough so that I've already sent the camera back to B&H for exchange, but I thought I'd ask here if this is something that's optically unavoidable with a 20x zoom, or does it look like something is wrong? I've removed the UV filter I had on it, and removed the lens hood - no improvement. It's easier to see over a plain background like sky or ocean.

The clip I've linked to below is a 28 Mbps AVCHD file, unprocessed, right off the SD card. About 77.5 MB. It's sloppy video of a helicopter that happened to fly by, but it's a good example of what I'm talking about. The vignette almost seems to bounce around, so I also tried turning off the image stabilization, but that didn't help either.

sample

I haven't received the replacement camera yet, but I'm suspecting I'll see the same thing with the new one. I'd appreciate any input on what you guys think is causing this.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2013, 03:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I haven't seen anything like that on my camera.

Are you using the digital zoom as well? Or the digital tele-converter?
Old 08-25-2013, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Nope, strictly optical zoom. Pretty obvious isn't it? I haven't seen this on any other camera I've owned, but I've never had an optical 20x zoom before.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Liked: 11
It sure looks like the vignetting is bouncing around roughly in sync with the camera shake/image stabilization. Perhaps post another shot with image stabilization off and an additional shot with image stabilization off and the camera locked down on a tripod, if your replacement camera shows the same problem.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The lens on my HF-G30 is great,no effects like you show,if the replacement is the same it must be a bad batch.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, that gives me a little hope that maybe it's just that one camera. If the replacement does the same thing, I'll post more examples including tripod shots. The problem is I'm going on a trip in about a month, so there probably isn't time for it to go to Canon and back. I'll hope for the best.

Thanks very much to all of you for your input.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Which stabilization mode were you using? I don't think dynamic works all that well with zoom, try using standard.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

I think it was dynamic during that shot, but I've tried turning image stabilization off altogether and it still occurred. If the replacement camera still has the same problem I'll do more testing and post more samples.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2013, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, I have played around a bit more with the camera and examined test shots I had done previously trying to replicate what you saw. The lens does show some moving vignetting at full zoom when pointed at the sky. But it only seems to do it when hand held, not when on a tripod.

I suspect it is due to stabilization. When the camera is hand held stabilization is trying to correct for motion, and that is causing the image to shift to the edges of the lens where optical performance is compromised. I think that is why the vignetting is wobbling around like that.

If you are using extreme zoom it is probably a good idea to have it mounted on a tripod.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Tugela for taking the time to do some testing. I'm sure I still saw vignetting when IS was turned off, but I will test more when I get the replacement. I guess I would still be disappointed at having vignetting at all, even if it was steady and didn't wobble. One of the main uses for my video cameras has been wildlife shots during hikes, so the ability to take relatively quick shots is important. Taking a tripod isn't always an option for some of the hikes I do.

Thanks again for your time. I'll keep you posted on what I find with the replacement. B&H just acknowledged getting the original back today, so I'm sure the replacement is still a week or more away.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay in completing this story. I’ve been too busy to upload any more video, but the new camera arrived and this is what I’ve concluded -

The replacement camera is exactly the same. There is a visible vignette when zoomed into full telephoto. This occurs no matter what settings are applied or turned off, image stabilization, etc., so this must be strictly a result of the optics. The bouncing of the vignette is a result of the image stabilization, and when IS is turned off, the vignette is stationary and doesn’t bounce around. But it’s still there.

So while I’m disappointed that the vignette is there at all, I suppose I tend to watch for it now rather than look at the subject. It’s not noticeable when there is a busy background, which should be most shots. It’s really only distracting when the background is flat, such as sky or a wall. I love the other features of the camera, so I’ll be keeping it and taking it with me on my upcoming trip to the Grand Tetons.

I appreciate everyone’s feedback and input. Thanks very much.