Samsung Galaxy Note III camera rumored to pack 4K video capture, high-quality audio playback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 75
It looks like my next smartphone will have 4K when my 2 year Verizon contract for my HTC Droid DNA with 5" 1080p display expires in January 2015 . I think HDMI 2.0 for 4K 60fps and H.265 will be out by then along with lower cost 4K UHDTVs.
Quote:
What are you going to add to a smartphone series that's already gone big-screen, already has a stylus and already offers up a decent battery life? According to the Korea Economic Daily, Samsung believes adding a heavy-duty camera upgrade to 4K should do the trick. The news site's source (identified as an "industry official" rather than a Samsung employee), says the Galaxy Note III, which is likely to make its debut at IFA 2013, will be able to record video in Ultra High Definition. It's a significant pixel boost from the 1080p video capture available to last year's Galaxy Note II.

The company is likely hoping that offering up an opportunity to record in 4K will mean those smartphone owners are then more likely to upgrade their TV sets (to a Ultra HD Samsung model, naturally) to make the most of their crisp video content. Alongside a new camera, the same source reckons that audio quality will be bumped up to 24-bit, like LG's G2 and a step above the 16-bit audio tech in Samsung's existing Galaxy phones. No word on the previous notion of three differently-sized models and as the source material has gone through the Google Translate grinder, things aren't as clear as we'd have hoped. However, the Korea Economic Daily has past form when it comes to Samsung news. Next week, we're sure to hear all the finer details and we're taking bets on which company will be the first to claim "world's first".
http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/27/samsung-galaxy-note-iii-rumor-4k-video-recording/?utm_medium=feed&utm_source=Feed_Classic&utm_campaign=Engadget&ncid=rss_semi

Quote:
Leaked slides from a presentation in China seem to show that the new Sony Experia i1, code-named Honami, will have the ability to shoot video at 4K resolution

Technology news site Engadget spotted a post on the Chinese social networking site Weibo (which has now been deleted). The post showed some slides from a Sony marketing presentation about their new flagship smartphone the Experia i1. The slides show that the phone will be capable of shooting video at 4000 x 2000 pixels and one of the taglines is "How do you get 4K content? By shooting videos with a 4K cellphone" Of course 4000 x 2000 pixels is not one of the standard 4K resolutions but that may just be marketing simplifying the information for a non-technical audience.

The camera in the i1 is a 20 Megapixel unit with a rumoured resolution of 3936 x 5248 so that may be capable of shooting 4K video and the processor is a Quad core Qualcomm Snapdragon running at 2.2Ghz so there is plenty of processing power available.

Although the handset only has 16GB of memory onboard it has a micro SD slot for expansion and if it is using H265 encoding you should be able to get a reasonable amount of 4K footage on a memory card.

The big question of course is why would you want to shoot 4K video with your phone?

Sony have thrown a lot of weight behind 4K and have a complete end-to-end solution in the professional arena. Putting a 4K camera in the hands of consumers will only strengthen the demand for 4K TVs and if your smartphone is a Sony then why not buy a Sony 4K TV to go with it? In fact recently Sony were running a promotion where buyers of their high end TVs received a free Experia handset so maybe this model will be paired with their 4K TVs.

Of course it doesn't hurt that there are other 4K TVs on the market already and if the oft rumoured Apple TV turns out to be 4K resolution then that is yet another outlet for 4K video from your smartphone.

With IFA 2013 coming on the 6th of September we may not have long to wait until we find out if the Experia i1 is the worlds first smartphone capable of shooting 4K video.
http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/1000-will-sony-s-new-smartphone-shoot-4k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 official: 5.7-inch, Android 4.3, 4K @30fps video recording :
Quote:
As rumoured, 4K video recording is possible thanks to the presence of the Snapdragon 800 processor. It can shoot UHD content in 30fps for playback to a suitably high resolution display, but should you drop down to Full HD, 60fps video shooting is possible. Slow motion video - shot at 120fps - is possible when recording in 720p.

It is powered by a 3,200mAh battery and 32GB and 64GB models will be available. Both have microSD card slots to allow for expansion by a further 64GB.

The new Samsung Galaxy Note 3 will be available from 25 September in more than 140 countries including the UK. It will be coming to the US too later this year on Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile (US) and US Cellular.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/123340-samsung-galaxy-note-3-official-5-7-inch-android-4-3-4k-video-recording-and-advanced-s-pen
Old 09-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
thats why people keep saying that cameras are dying. so now cameras will have to keep up with CELLPHONES, not the other way around... damn...
Old 09-05-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 UHD sample :
Old 09-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
thats a really crappy video quality...
Old 09-06-2013, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just made a screenshot from a 4K Note 3 video on my 30" 2560x1600 monitor .

click on the following link to view 2560x1600 px screenshot:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3674/9690381510_ae27280abe_o.jpg

Quote:
The recently launched Samsung Galaxy Note 3 phablet is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor. Equipped with this chip, the Galaxy Note 3 is bestowed with the capability to record 4K videos with 3840 x 2160 resolution or four times larger than Full HD (1920 x 1080). Snapdragon 800’s capability to capture 4K videos was demonstrated at a workshop held in Beijing last July. Yesterday at an exclusive event held in Dusit Thani hotel (Makati), the folks at Samsung Philippines gave us a chance to play around with some units of the Galaxy Note 3 phablet. There, recorded a 4K video by using the device. We have uploaded the video on YouTube (above).

Below are the specifications of the video based on Media Player Classic:

Type: MP4
Size: 123MB
Time: 21 seconds
Resolution: 3840 x 2160
Video format: MPEG4 Video (H264)
Audio format: AAC 48000Hz stereo 1536Kbps

For those who want to watch and verify the specifications of the video uploaded, you may download the actual file here.
http://www.hardwarezone.com.ph/tech-news-samsung-galaxy-note-3-records-4k-videos-qualcomm-snapdragon-800-cpu
Old 09-06-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Thanks very much for the links to the original videos, which gave me a chance to see what is going on. I think the resolution is impressive, but:

1. The bitrate is 47.9 Mbps. This is the same bitrate I get with the Canon EOS M, for 1/4th the resolution (1920 x 1080 versus 3840 x 2160) for the same frame rate, approximately. There will be plenty of compression artifacts if the video has movement.

2. The frame rate is variable - yes, that's correct, the frame rate varies - for this video, from 26.3 fps to 35 fps. Typical of cell phones.

3. The compressed (AAC) audio bitrate is only 128 kbps, the bare minimum. UHD video and below-SD audio, why?

Still an impressive accomplishment, but I am not trading in just yet (and note the shakiness due to no (or bad?) stabilization - UHD really exaggerates shake).
Old 09-06-2013, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedest View Post

thats a really crappy video quality...
agree.

I bet it falls apart completely in low light - the frame rate will probably drop down to single digits.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I agree that the hyran park video is poor, due to low light smearing. However, I think the hardwarezone video is very impressive on a 2560x1600 monitor. Be sure to watch the youtube at "original" quality or, better yet, download the original footage from

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bad669hf11lxvt2/samsung%20galaxy%20note%203%204k%202.mp4

If you also think the original hardwarezone video is "crappy", then please let us know what monitor you are using.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 4K settings menu :

My 2 year contract with Verizon for my HTC Droid DNA with 5" 1080p display expires in January 2015 so by then there should be the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with better 4K and IS along with Sony, Acer, HTC, Nokia, Apple , LG , Google etc with 4K smartphones.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:19 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I've seen a 4K (Original as designated at the bottom of the screen) video from the Acer Liquid S2 on YouTube and it showed similar symptoms as the Note 3's 4K did: bad stuttering and trailing in low to medium light scenes, noticeable artifacts in scenes with movement and much detail etc. I have no idea how those videos would have looked on a true 4K monitor, maybe better maybe worse as the closest I had to view them was a Macbook Pro's small 3K display.

In static scenes or scenes with barely a movement, the differences between those videos's 4K and 1080p versions were noticeable but not much. However once the cameras started to move or pan around the whole image started falling apart. It would be interesting to test shoot each specific 4K-capable smartphone in both 4K and 1080p or even 720p modes in exactly the same scene and conditions to see if 4K is too far a stretch for any of these phones or it's the hardware/software limitations that affect the video image from them in general.

The key requirements to make the video coming out of this first generation of 4K video taking devices look anything close to the true 4K image hyped up by the vendors would be for the shooter to hold the device as still as if it were on a tripod or steadycam AND with controlled movement of the subjects and background in the scene being shot. Neither are those a strength of the people who shoot videos on these devices nor typical conditions their videos are shot in.

So in the meantime I guess we have to make do with variable recording frame rates (as opposed to variable iris, shutter or filtering to control the exposure) , lens breathing (the annoying zoom-like effect when the lens refocuses), rolling shutter, wobbling, jelloing artifacts, blocky and smearing artifacts when there is movement in the scene which are normally caused by too low the bit rates or the inability of the IP to keep up, the shakiness because of ineffective or non-existent stabilization system, and the list goes on.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I bet the second generation of 4K smartphones with H.265 with faster GPUs and CPUs will be much better by the end of 2014. Samsung knows 4K in the Note 3 is not ready for primetime so they have not even mentioned it.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I wonder if you guys are experiencing the 4k playback limitations of your own devices? I have watched the 4k video from the Note 3 on my 2600x1600 Dell U3014 with a Radeon 7870 and found no playback issues. There was some motion blur when panning (as expected) but when the camera held a fixed position the video played smoothly with excellent resolution, clearly well above 1920x1080.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I had no problem but every 4K Note 3 video I viewed must have been taken by people who don't know how to hold a camera steady. It looks like 4K is going to be on most of the premium smartphones by the end of 2014 since most will be using Android 4.4 (KitKat) that supports 4K.