Loud audio noise with Panasonic HDC HS900 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I can't seem to find anything on this by searching google. In fact, any search for "hdc hs900" in google simply brings up websites that used to sell it, and maybe a couple of manuals.

The issue is, I seem to get a lot of air noise with the camera, regardless of the microphone. Using the built-in mic provides really low volume to begin with, so I bought a Rode VideoMic Stereo Pro. The mic has great sound, but I still have the high level of noise. I've also tried a lavalier mic, with the exact same results.

Anybody have any experience with this? I don't think I'd mind if the noise could be removed, but it's just too much to remove with traditional noise removal software or EQ.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.

CGMI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Do you use auto for audio (AGC) or manual audio control? What are you recording, besides air?
post #3 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The AGC (automatic gain control) is for the on board mic only. The onboard mic isn't that great. It records at very low volume levels, and has almost no low end, even when you bump the input level and bass level up as far as it will go. That's why I bought a real mic to use with it.

I record all kinds of things, from documentaries and full length films to commercials. It's the same noise issue regardless of what you're recording.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmi View Post

The AGC (automatic gain control) is for the on board mic only. The onboard mic isn't that great. It records at very low volume levels, and has almost no low end, even when you bump the input level and bass level up as far as it will go. That's why I bought a real mic to use with it.

I record all kinds of things, from documentaries and full length films to commercials. It's the same noise issue regardless of what you're recording.

Well, I doubt you record "full length films" plugging a "real" mic into your hs900. You are joking, right? What exactly are you recording with your hs900? In any case, if you want good sound, you should use a "real" mic close to the source if you want to minimize ambient noise, and if you want the best sound you record sound externally into dedicated mic pre-amps, which will be quieter (although none of have "air noise" (not a term audio professionals use)). But I am sure you know that if you are shooting commercials and full-length films. Mic placement is more important than many technical features.

I have a Panasonic TM900, which is similar to your model. I have not noticed anything unusual about its audio properties compared to other camcorders with internal mics. It uses cardioid (directional) mics, which tend to have bass rolloff. And AGC works with external mics too - you have to turn AGC off. Are you recording in stereo or "surround sound" with the internal mics? If the latter, you will pick up more ambient noise away from the source.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Unbalanced audio means noise, for a person who "records all kinds of things" you should have known that. Built-in mic is not bad except that it picks up fan noise in a very quiet room.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Unbalanced audio means noise, for a person who "records all kinds of things" you should have known that. Built-in mic is not bad except that it picks up fan noise in a very quiet room.

I could not figure out whether he meant electrical noise (noisy preamps or noise from unbalanced line), or ambient noise (inflated by agc) or what. Perhaps he was too busy shooting commercials to learn about all of this. I would like to see a full length film shot on the sd900, though. With a "real" mic, of course.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Quote:

I could not figure out whether he meant electrical noise (noisy preamps or noise from unbalanced line), or ambient noise (inflated by agc) or what. Perhaps he was too busy shooting commercials to learn about all of this. I would like to see a full length film shot on the sd900, though. With a "real" mic, of course.
Why not? Tons of films shot with DV cameras, even with Hi8 cameras. CurrentTV guys used the HVR-A1U, which is basically an HDR-HC1 with XLR block and extra settings.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-04-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why not? Tons of films shot with DV cameras, even with Hi8 cameras. CurrentTV guys used the HVR-A1U, which is basically an HDR-HC1 with XLR block and extra settings.

I am not sure what your point is. CurrentTV failed. One can shoot anything with any camera - and there is lots of technically-poor stuff out there. Is your point the old "content trumps technical excellence," (which I don't disagree with) or what? It takes actually more skill to shoot something that looks good with a camera that has limitations. I guess it is helpful once in a while in a technically-oriented forum to say you can shoot anything with anything, to get some people to relax a bit about pixel-peeping.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-04-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is your point the old "content trumps technical excellence," (which I don't disagree with) or what?
Yup.
Quote:

It takes actually more skill to shoot something that looks good with a camera that has limitations. I guess it is helpful once in a while in a technically-oriented forum to say you can shoot anything with anything, to get some people to relax a bit about pixel-peeping.
Depending on limitations. Deeper DOF may be an artistic limitation but technical benefit for keeping stuff in focus. Crappy manual controls may be a limitation, but if automatic controls are decent and image stabilization is good, then this camera can be more usable for run-and-gun handheld shooting than a professional camera (I owned the JVC GY-HM100, it is a professional camera with pretty much non-existant image stabilizer and with bad sensitivity. The TM900 will runs circles around it when shooting handheld.)

As for stuff shot for CurrentTV with the HVR-A1U, check out any of these... Oh, crap! CurrentTV closed all its videos. Actually all I cared about was Vanguard program, but it is not available anymore. This is why I hat streaming. Ok, here is one, in 10-min segments but still in decent quality:

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page