Cyberlink - HA footage is artifacting badly - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-02-2013, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have bought a great new computer, one good enough to manage the Cyberlink software..

I've got my camera set to HA.

My problem is that as a brand newbie to cyberlink PD Ultra 11, I'm confused about the settings, as I am getting very bad artifacting when the camera moves. My Panasonic HDwriter software never did that, but it is so basic I wanted something more.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to produce a nice looking HD video yet, too much interference.

I don't understand much about the settings.
Here's a breakdown of what I've done so far.

1. A video with most 25fps clips, all but one which was 50fps.
I had it generating shadow file.
I chose AVC 1920x1080/50i 16mbps and set the project frame rate at 25. I produced with svrt.
I neglected to choose avchd on the disc tab and had it on dvd instead. woops.
on watching it, it was horrible. All stripey and artifacty when the camera moved, when still it looked ok.
2. So I looked up the forum.
I unchecked generate shadow file, as with my new computer smile.gif it manages fine.
I took out that one 50fps clip.
I chose again AVC, 1920x1080/50i and put 25fps as project setting. oh...and PAL, always PAL.
In produce, I went to 2d disc, AVCHD, widescreen, H264 1920x1080/50i etc.
on watching the new 2 min clip, it was still bad, probably no better, or just barely.
3. Reading more,
I turned off HD video processing in settings
I turned on 'reduce video blocking' in Produce.
I chose again AVC 1920/1080/50i but this time picked 24mbps ?? why I don't know, as I'm not sure what that is.
and burned an AVCHD, 16:9 H264, 1920x1080/50i DVD.

I've made lots of videos with the footage from this camera, with basic old HD Writer from Panasonic, never did this before, so I'm a bit concerned that I've gone to the trouble of getting Cyberlink AND a new computer that can cope with it, just to get artifacting videos that are horrible to watch.

oh, PS. I'm a bit dense about technical things, and only know what half the settings mean, but I'm trying to learn, if you'd be so kind as to keep it simple!

Can you help?
Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Why shooting 25i if the cam can shoot 50p? With interlaced you need to be careful: either use interlaced project, render to interlaced and watch on device that can handle interlaced, or you need to deinterlace correctly to watch on YouTube. Either use interlaced project and deinterlace on render, or use progressive project and set up correct deinterlacing for editing. Cannot help with specific settings as I don't use Cyberlink.
post #3 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not shooting in 25i, it's 50i. Also, have previously done both, 50p and 50i, rendered and viewed on my big hd Samsung tv, with NO comparable difference.
As mentioned, the reason I choose 50i, is so I can also make avchd dvds.
I don't want to watch on you tube, I'm making beautiful HD dvds and blu rays.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymays View Post

I'm not shooting in 25i, it's 50i.
Same thing.
Quote:

Also, have previously done both, 50p and 50i, rendered and viewed on my big hd Samsung tv, with NO comparable difference.
TVs have built-in deinterlacers.
Quote:

the reason I choose 50i, is so I can also make avchd dvds. I don't want to watch on you tube, I'm making beautiful HD dvds and blu rays.
You can always downconvert to 25i (or 50i if you prefer this notation) from 50p. Or you can downconvert into 720p50. Or you can even keep it as 1080p50 as many modern Blu-ray players support this format. But you've chosen outdated interlaced format, now you need to handle it correctly. Keep it interlaced all the way through from ingestion to project to rendering, do not judge the result on computer, render a BD and watch on a TV, as your computer player may not have correct deinterlacing set up.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Ungermann,
That's something I didn't know! I had no idea 25i and 50i were the same thing. Who's the idiot that thought that up!!?
Well that actually clarifies a lot, now I can see cyberlink settings that match that. I thought I was looking for 50i.

Right, well the next thing is the interlaced v progressive thing. As mentioned my reasoning was so I could make avchd dvds, but now I have a NEW blu ray BURNER in my new computer, I suppose that argument has gone out the window.
I guess I'm keen on making sure I've got every style of backup covered. That's probably really silly. I want hard copies of my movies, as well as store them on ext. hard drive. I worried that blue ray was a fad that would go out of fashion, but I guess it's the dvd that is?

Re the downconverting. My camera of course does that, but it takes ages, so I thought it was easier to shoot in that in the first place.
OK, so I want good quality, I want to store the files safely...(very safely) and I want discs that I can both burn and play, in a mode that won't be obsolete too quickly.

Thankyou very much for your input and suggestions so far, I really appreciate it. (learned some stuff too).
Jenny
post #6 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had no idea 25i and 50i were the same thing. Who's the idiot that thought that up!!?
It is 25 frames/s, interlaced. Which can also be thought of 50 fields/s.
Quote:

Right, well the next thing is the interlaced v progressive thing. As mentioned my reasoning was so I could make avchd dvds, but now I have a NEW blu ray BURNER in my new computer, I suppose that argument has gone out the window.
I guess I'm keen on making sure I've got every style of backup covered. That's probably really silly. I want hard copies of my movies, as well as store them on ext. hard drive. I worried that blue ray was a fad that would go out of fashion, but I guess it's the dvd that is?
There is DVD (media) and DVD-Video (video format on DVD media). Similarly, there is Blu-Ray media, as well as Blu-ray Disc movie format. BD is good for long time storage just because of 25GB capacity. You can have one copy on BD, another on hard drive. No need to re-encode if you use BD as plain media. On the other hand, if you want to author Blu-ray Disc movie, then you need a certain file format (frame rate, frame size, bitrate, codec, directory structure).
Quote:

Re the downconverting. My camera of course does that, but it takes ages, so I thought it was easier to shoot in that in the first place.
OK, so I want good quality, I want to store the files safely...(very safely) and I want discs that I can both burn and play, in a mode that won't be obsolete too quickly.

Thankyou very much for your input and suggestions so far, I really appreciate it. (learned some stuff too).
1080p50 is the best quality and it is easier to work with simply because it is progressive and does not require deinterlacing. Yes, it takes more processing power than interlaced, but what you do and what computer does is much more straightforward. People usually edit their videos anyway, so I would shoot 1080p50 then edit and render into whatever format you prefer, and the choices are plentiful:

* keep 1080p50 and play on a computer or on a BD player that is capable of this frame rate
* downconvert to 1080/25i (a.k.a. 1080i50) for regular BD player
* downconvert to 720p50 for regular BD player (I prefer 720p50 to interlaced any day)
* downconvert to 576/25i (a.k.a. 576i50) for DVD (will not look good on big screen)
* downconvert to 25p and any suitable frame size for BD, DVD or YouTube by throwing out every other frame from 1080p50 (shoot with 1/50 shutter speed and you will get proper motion both for 50p/25i as well as for 25p).

IMHO, 1080p50 is the single best format that is out there. It is even better than 1080p60, because it is not possible to get from 60p to 24p without artefacts.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-04-2013, 02:27 PM

As a long time user of Cyberlink, my recommendation is to look at the top of the Cyberlink screen. You'll find Capture, Edit, Produce, and Create Disc. I find it best to create my production with titles, transitions, sound, etc., and then go directly from the raw (but edited) files to the final product. If your goal is a disk, then select Create Disc. There you can select the type of disk you want to produce and several others settings that allow you to match the raw clips to the final format for best disc playback.
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page