Shooting "Au naturel" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-08-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 143
No, not naked but using a camera's 'Neutral' (Canon) or 'Natural' (Panasonic) Picture Style mode. This mode lowers contrast, saturation and sharpening to look, well, more natural. Indeed, some say the Canon videos are too contrasty.

So, I shot a video using the 'Neutral' Picture Style on my Canon EOS M. This mode may be particularly useful for low light shots, and I went to shoot inside the NYC Public Library on 42nd Street, and in train stations (e.g., Grand Central Terminal).

One bonus: a bagpiper presented himself up close, at night, out in the street, so you get to hear the audio capability in all its glory. The audio was set to manual for natural sound, so the bagpipe, like in real life, is quite loud, GCT at its busiest and street noises are moderately loud, and the library is, quiet. This is a demonstration of the advantage of manual audio in capturing the dynamic range of sound in real life, naturally.

Is this video mode a good choice? Is dynamic range better than what you are used to seeing (as some say)? Are the colors too muted? Is this "look" a good one, or does one want a contrastier image? Or even more flat?

https://vimeo.com/74063702

YouTube version:

Choose 1080p.

Anyone else have example videos shot in neutral or natural styles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-09-2013, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I've been where internet connections have been lousy for a couple weeks but came back with about 30 GB of photos and video footage to work on. I'm still where the internet connection is weak so viewing your "natural" clip is not working well.

My first glance suggests your shooting skills and understanding of available light are more important than your "natural" camera settings. You've certainly got the DOF control working for you!

A first rate internet connection is still about two weeks away, so if this thread is still active I will try to study your clip a little and try to provide a clip or two from my trip.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-09-2013, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

I've been where internet connections have been lousy for a couple weeks but came back with about 30 GB of photos and video footage to work on. I'm still where the internet connection is weak so viewing your "natural" clip is not working well.

My first glance suggests your shooting skills and understanding of available light are more important than your "natural" camera settings. You've certainly got the DOF control working for you!

A first rate internet connection is still about two weeks away, so if this thread is still active I will try to study your clip a little and try to provide a clip or two from my trip.

Thanks. I am sure we all noticed the absence of your informative posts. I do love those shallow dof shots (don't know why). Look forward to future posts, and maybe some video!
post #4 of 4 Old 09-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That is sooooo much better than the default picture profile. Now your video is looking like a movie. Organic, better dynamic range, more color gradation.

Neutral picture profiles usually bring more noise in the shadows, and I see that happening in the canon, but I dont think it bothers that much

And dont worry about the looks. Its really good. Its far from cinema-flat, like the one you have in the blackmagic or in the other custom profiles that you can find for canon cameras (like the cinestyle). It has enough colors and contrast. You can use it that way straight out of the camera, without post processing.

Some examples of the technicolor cinestyle custom picture profile for canon (cinema flat)
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page