Some 8th grade football video highlights shot with Panasonic FZ200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a fairly new FZ200 owner. I wanted a still photo camera that is also capable of recording decent 1080p video...so I chose the FZ200. I just want to share some video highlights I shot last week of my son's 8th grade football game. I believe the FZ200 does a pretty good job at shooting videos. The below video was shot in 1080p MP4 60 fps format and in Shutter Priority Mode with shutter speed set to 1/125 sec. and Manual Exposure Compensation set to -1.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Loved it. Really talented kids. You might want to try AVCHD next time for a little better picture.

Best,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 12 Old 09-09-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Bill. I didn't choose the AVCHD because they are more difficult to edit...at least that's what I've read. I do know that Windows Moviemaker won't accept the AVCHD format. Can you recommend a decent editing program (maybe even free?) to edit the AVCHD format? Thanks.
post #4 of 12 Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJimN View Post

...Can you recommend a decent editing program (maybe even free?) to edit the AVCHD format? Thanks.
The common choices include Adobe Premier Elements (my favorite) and Sony's armature version of Vegas. Both are under $100 and include full AVCHD capability. File sizes are large, so strong computers are desired. Premier Elements runs on both Apple and PC computers.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-10-2013, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

RC Jim - I use Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12 ($35 at Amazon). I have been tempted to switch to Adobe Premiere Elements 11 because my friend Bill Sprague speaks so highly of it, but the $60 price tag stops me.

As Bill says, you need a "strong" computer to run these programs.

Sony Vegas runs well on my two year old Windows 7 (64 bit) machine with a 3GHz dual core CPU.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #6 of 12 Old 09-10-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

..... I have been tempted to switch to Adobe Premiere Elements 11 because my friend Bill Sprague speaks so highly of it, but the $60 price tag stops me.
Don't switch now!

Version 11 of Premier Elements was the first to fully endorse and support AVCHD. Version 12 is expected this month. I'm anxious to see if they have found anything of significance to add.

I wan't to emphasize that it is really not Premier Elements I "speak hightly of", but the amazing wealth of third party training in the way of video tutorials, old fashioned books and websites. The combination made Premier Elements the first video editing program that gave me the thrill of making videos. I suspect Sony's product would have given me the same thrill if I had conquered it first.

I have written many times that "the trick" is to pick any one of the popular editors, even blindly, and invest the time to learn it. The one you learn will be your favorite.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-10-2013, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

How much better is the video quality of AVCHD versus MP4? I really don't view videos on my HD TV. All of my videos will be either uploaded to Vimeo or YouTube. Is the quality of the AVCHD over MP4 that noticeable when viewing videos on Vimeo or YouTube?
post #8 of 12 Old 09-10-2013, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is Mpeg4 a mode the FZ200 has that the FZ150 not,my FZ150 has 50i or 50P 28Mbps
post #9 of 12 Old 09-10-2013, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post

Is Mpeg4 a mode the FZ200 has that the FZ150 not,my FZ150 has 50i or 50P 28Mbps

The FZ150 and the FZ200 shoot both AVCHD and MP4 (at 28mbps and 20mbps respectively).

See the FZ150 specs here: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz150/specifications.html

See the FZ200 specs here: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz200/specifications.html

Higher bitrates generally equate to superior image quality (not always). When I have some time, I will shoot some side-by-side between MP4 and AVCHD with my FZ150.

Cheers,

Bill
post #10 of 12 Old 09-10-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

How much better is the video quality of AVCHD versus MP4? I really don't view videos on my HD TV. All of my videos will be either uploaded to Vimeo or YouTube. Is the quality of the AVCHD over MP4 that noticeable when viewing videos on Vimeo or YouTube?
I doubt you'll see any difference. The only benefit is absence of file size limit per take: AVCHD video take can consist of multiple segments up to 4GB each (Canon uses 2GB segments). It is possible to have multi-segment MP4-based format (one example is XDCAM EX), but taken as they are, MP4 files by themselves do not provide seamless multi-file recording.

If you don't need takes longer than 30-minutes then I would not care switching to AVCHD.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-10-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

The FZ150 and the FZ200 shoot both AVCHD and MP4 (at 28mbps and 20mbps respectively).

See the FZ150 specs here: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz150/specifications.html

See the FZ200 specs here: http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/fz200/specifications.html

Higher bitrates generally equate to superior image quality (not always). When I have some time, I will shoot some side-by-side between MP4 and AVCHD with my FZ150.

Cheers,

Bill

Yes i forgot,:rolleyes:ive never even tried Mpeg4 on mine,and dont use 50P as i agree higher a bitrate does not necessarily improve the quality,on mine50P is no better than FSH,to be fair my FZ150 cant compete with my camcorder so does not get a lot of video use now,it has been a good servant camera though.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-10-2013, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

How much better is the video quality of AVCHD versus MP4?
Very marginally better and not worth the hassel of dealing with AVCHD in my opinion.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page