Another newbie help me spend my money thread! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All-

Thanks for all the previous posts/threads that I've been lurking on for the past few days. I'm now finding myself constantly switching back and forth as to what new camcorder would work best for me.

We're looking for a new camcorder for the family and semi-prosumer uses on occasion. I've used the Canon XA10 and XA20 before, and loved them... however, I'm not looking to spend that much- nor even spend $1000 for some in Canon's G series. I'd like to keep the budget around $500, but will spend $700 if what I'm getting is THAT much better.

Our uses: mainly family video, so the $300 model would be good enough. At various times, and possibly more so in the future, I will be filming various hunting scenes/spots for a TV show- therefore multiple formats are important to me. Chances are, these spots will be mini-clips during the show's broadcast, so "good enough" will work, and if more is required, the host of the show will bring his equipment and we'll have a professional crew doing all the work.

My thoughts: External mic input is crucial. Doesn't need to be set up for a wireless- though, if there was that capability, at some point I could see myself picking up that gear. On board storage- nice to have in a pinch, but 98% of the time, memory cards will do the trick- and a single slot is fine. WiFi- probably why not get it? Light sensitivity- crucial- I'd love to have IR, but I know that's not going to be an option within my budget. This camera will definitely be used in low/no light situations.

SO... I'll leave it to the experts now. Even though I've mentioned Canon, I'm not only looking at that brand- it's just the brand I have the most familiarity with. We also own a Canon T4i, so for stills, time-lapse, etc, that would be used as well.

Thanks for the assistance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi scape - and welcome to the forum! It's going to be a challenge to find a camcorder in the $500 (or even $700) price range that is good for family video, low light, occasional broadcast use - and has wi-fi and external audio - all for $500-$700.

The Panasonic X920 will do the job, but the best price I could find was $830 via eBay.

Have you thought about getting a low light lens for your T4i and using it for video? You can get a fast $799 Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, for example, which will almost see in the dark.

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 3 Old 09-14-2013, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I agree you should consider using the T4i with a low light and silently focusing lens. T4i produces a brighter, more richly colorful video image than the Panasonic X920. T4i has richer audio quality too. Main advantage of the X920 is it has a large zoom range from its fixed lens.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page