Edgertronic: Sub $5K high speed camera! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Edgertronic Kickstarter page

This is an amazing new high speed film camera. Doing things that could only previously be done with cameras costing 10x to 20x as much, this opens up high speed photography to a new group of people, including hobbyists, tinkerers, and hackers.

There is a rumor that the camera will, in the future, support an open-source SDK allowing even further control.

I am still learning about this, but I didn't want to delay in releasing information about this new camera. I know that the folks on AVS forum are among the most intelligent folks out there when it comes to new cutting edge technology, and this seems to be a real breakthrough in price-performance for doing some amazing new things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Or how about the Phantom Flex4K that does 4K RAW at 1000fps .
post #3 of 5 Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hey the specs on this Edgartronic aren't too shabby... 1280x1024 at 494 fps or 1280x720 (aka 720p) at 701 fps. Global shutter! But the buffer is only 8 seconds, the dynamic range looks poor, and the color footage has clear aliasing effects. Monochrome is the way to go on this one, with a 2 stop advantage and no color aliasing. It looks like they'll be selling the camera for $5k, which is a bit steep unless the image quality is outstanding which it won't be. Bottom line - the resolution and dynamic range can't compete with a Red Epic or a Phantom Flex. So this is for amateurs and hobbyists only. But it's too expensive for that market. So I predict bust.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-13-2013, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Maybe not. It would still be useful in applications where slow motion is used as a tool. IQ is not that important under those circumstances. For example, in a lab or something like that. A $5k price tag is normal for equipment like that. Some people I know have a small company that makes (among other specialized scientific equipment) a high pressure press that makes very small nanospheres. The construction is quite simple, basically a small steel chamber containing a filter and connections to a pressure source. They sell it for about $2.5k, and sell enough a year to generate around a million a year in revenue. I think this camera could generate much more revenue than that if it is marketed correctly since it would have more general application than these presses my friends make.

There can be a surprisingly significant market for a company that sells small specialized pieces of equipment to individuals or organizations that use video professionally as a tool but don't produce video of consumption. They may not sell many of these cameras to US the enthusiast, but that doesn't mean they wont sell many cameras. The big issue they will have is not so much their product, but marketing to the right people who might use it. If those folk are not aware of the camera, they won't buy it.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-13-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 68
The Beauty of Mud (4000 fps) :

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page