Does This Camcorder Exist? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-01-2013, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Looking for a camcorder under $2,000 that must be excellent in the following situation...

Shooting a play on stage indoors in good light from at least 100 feet away AND provide crystal clear video when zooming in on someone's face from that distance.

Is that even possible?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-01-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Wait for a 4K version of a 60x superzoom camera.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-01-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

Wait for a 4K version of a 60x superzoom camera.

2015...ish?
post #4 of 12 Old 10-01-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

2015...ish?
I agree, 2015 will be the year of 4K superzoom cameras.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by twelvexes View Post

Looking for a camcorder under $2,000 that must be excellent in the following situation...

Shooting a play on stage indoors in good light from at least 100 feet away AND provide crystal clear video when zooming in on someone's face from that distance.

Is that even possible?

Thanks.
(4K? Come on! The OP sounds like he wants to take a movie of his kid. If he is a pro, he would not be asking that question, here or anywhere.)

I see it is your first post here. Welcome.

You did not say if you are trying to create something for yourself or trying to "produce" a video for public consumption. You also didn't provide any background on your personal skills relating to photography and videography.

I've done plenty impromptu shooting like that at grade school and middle school performances with a Sony HX9V hand held. It is a three year old "point & shoot" with good video specs and decent zoom. My family and I like the results. I stand in the back with all the other parents and grandparents. The variety of equipment that shows up is part of my entertainment.

I think you would get excellent results with a Panasonic FZ200 set on a very solid tripod. It has a F2.8 lens and a lot of zoom. Set to shoot in 1080p60, you'll get great quality on any 1080p60 HD TV. You will need the tripod to avoid camera shake when you aim the camera and zoom in for the face shots.

Audio will be the hard part. Unless you have control over the production and can be in charge of the sound system, you will struggle. If you are 100 feet back and not plugged into the theater's sound system you have a challenge. Any current camcorder will get it, including all the echos and audience noises. There are settings you can change in the camera that can help. But, if you want better, you will need to set up a better sound recording system and mix it in on your computer in software.

Bill
post #6 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

(4K? Come on! The OP sounds like he wants to take a movie of his kid. If he is a pro, he would not be asking that question, here or anywhere.)

I see it is your first post here. Welcome.

You did not say if you are trying to create something for yourself or trying to "produce" a video for public consumption. You also didn't provide any background on your personal skills relating to photography and videography.

I've done plenty impromptu shooting like that at grade school and middle school performances with a Sony HX9V hand held. It is a three year old "point & shoot" with good video specs and decent zoom. My family and I like the results. I stand in the back with all the other parents and grandparents. The variety of equipment that shows up is part of my entertainment.

I think you would get excellent results with a Panasonic FZ200 set on a very solid tripod. It has a F2.8 lens and a lot of zoom. Set to shoot in 1080p60, you'll get great quality on any 1080p60 HD TV. You will need the tripod to avoid camera shake when you aim the camera and zoom in for the face shots.

Audio will be the hard part. Unless you have control over the production and can be in charge of the sound system, you will struggle. If you are 100 feet back and not plugged into the theater's sound system you have a challenge. Any current camcorder will get it, including all the echos and audience noises. There are settings you can change in the camera that can help. But, if you want better, you will need to set up a better sound recording system and mix it in on your computer in software.

Bill

Excellent advice and caution.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Bill

Sorry, should have provided more info.  Absolutely NOT a pro.  And yes, this would be used for personal consumption of family events.  Since at most of these events, it's very difficult to get up close, you end up standing way in the back and zooming in.  That's really my biggest concern.  I have a Sony Handycam that is several years old that is fine for close shooting.  Lately, I've even been using my Sony a57 DSLR camera with the 70-400mm telephoto lens to zoom in and shoot video.  And while that does get me in close enough to the action where I want to be, I'm looking for better quality video.

post #8 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

It seems to me you should be getting good video from an A57. What is wrong with the video quality? Could you be using the wrong camera settings? What do you do with the footage to get it to your TV or viewing device of choice.

Here is a clip from an Sony HX9V at its best setting. I used digital zoom a few times and it kills the optical quality, but not the smile quality. The girl with the flute is one of my partners in SS&G productions. She is obviously drop dead gorgeous. She is also charming and very smart. (Grin) I have no idea where the genes came from to make that kid, but near as I can tell she got all the good ones.

https://vimeo.com/67753124

I was too lazy to use a tripod, or even a monopod that night. Your A57 should do at least this well. If not, I standby my suggestion of an FZ200. If steady shooting performance video is the goal, I would also suggest you over do it on a tripod with a good fluid head. It will cost nearly what the camera costs. For smooth panning and zooming nothing works better than expensive tripods.

Can you post of sample of a video from the A57 that you don't like? Maybe some here will see solutions.

Bill

PS: Any chance you're trying to make DVDs?
post #9 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

I'm going to need to compare at home, but I don't believe my video is as clear as your example zoomed in that close from that distance.  Another issue I have is that my son takes swimming lessons indoors and they make all the parents watch from outside the pool through glass windows.  Any tips on how to make shooting video through glass better?

post #10 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
i think polarizer filters reduce reflections
post #11 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post

i think polarizer filters reduce reflections

I've also found that getting close to the glass works. The reflections don't focus. I've taken a lot of pictures of airplanes from and airplane with plastic windows. As long as I was close to the window, they came out good enough. No, not perfect. Somebody once said "98% of perfect is usually good enough."
post #12 of 12 Old 10-02-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip!

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page