"Color Grading" - I don't get it - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 71 Old 10-21-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Bill, if it's not too much trouble, the AVCHD. I've pretty much decided on keeping the GX7 and returning the GH3. So I'd be shooting AVCHD. You are right, I do remember the card slot on those DVD players. I wonder if I still have one lying around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 10-21-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Yeah, that's always another solution and I've used it in the past (burn to BD). But it would be nice to have the project file on an SD card and just play it from some media player without stutter.
All those players have SD card slot. And if I remember correctly, files even don't have to be authored as BDMV or DVD-Video.
post #63 of 71 Old 10-21-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bill, if it's not too much trouble, the AVCHD. I've pretty much decided on keeping the GX7 and returning the GH3.
Why not the G6?
post #64 of 71 Old 10-21-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Bill, if it's not too much trouble, the AVCHD. I've pretty much decided on keeping the GX7 and returning the GH3. So I'd be shooting AVCHD. You are right, I do remember the card slot on those DVD players. I wonder if I still have one lying around.
I put your .mts file on an old transcend class 10 SD card. I put the card in the old panasonic BD30 and it didn't display. The BD30 was from before AVCHD 2.0. So, p60 was not part of the formula.

I put the SD card in a cheap USB card reader. USB 2.0 I think. I put the combo in my Sony S570 and it played maybe a little better than the WD TV player.

What other combination would you like be to try?
post #65 of 71 Old 10-21-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Why not the G6?

I'm going with the GX7 primarily because of the smaller size, better low light and a lack of reviews on the G6. At some point you have to bite the bullet. Every 2 weeks there's another camera.
post #66 of 71 Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

I put your .mts file on an old transcend class 10 SD card. I put the card in the old panasonic BD30 and it didn't display. The BD30 was from before AVCHD 2.0. So, p60 was not part of the formula.

I put the SD card in a cheap USB card reader. USB 2.0 I think. I put the combo in my Sony S570 and it played maybe a little better than the WD TV player.

What other combination would you like be to try?

No Bill, you helped a great deal. As a result of you jarring my memory about the BD players with the card slots, I did a bit of research. I returned the WD Live and exchanged it for a Panasonic BD player with card & USB slots (DMP-BDT330). There was also a Samsung with similar features, but I thought the likelihood of perfect playback would be better with Panasonic given it's their cameras and file formats.

So fortunately the player worked as advertised, perfect buttery smooth AVCHD playback. It even played the .mov files but indicated the audio format was incompatible. Since I'm going with the GX7, the issue of .mov files is irrelevant.

The interface is also quite nice, so it's a win win. smile.gif
post #67 of 71 Old 10-21-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

Yep, many videos online comparing the image quality to the GH2, plus G6 has the 60p for slow-mo, standard mic jack, wi-fi and focus peaking..
Last year the GH2 sold for $499 around Black Friday/Xmas season, coming up soon.

G6 is something to keep an eye on...

That was part of my decision making process on the GX7. Since the GX7 has better image quality than the GH2, and IMO based on what I saw, the GH3, it seemed likely the GX7 would also have better image quality than the G6. The sensor in the GX7 seems to be something special between its color, resolution and low light. It is odd that Panasonic omitted the mic jack on the 7 but included it on the G6. I'll never understand the marketing of these companies.

Fortunately the onboard audio is quite good and shouldn't present problems for run n gun shooting. smile.gif
post #68 of 71 Old 10-21-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

That was part of my decision making process on the GX7. Since the GX7 has better image quality than the GH2, and IMO based on what I saw, the GH3, it seemed likely the GX7 would also have better image quality than the G6. The sensor in the GX7 seems to be something special between its color, resolution and low light. It is odd that Panasonic omitted the mic jack on the 7 but included it on the G6. I'll never understand the marketing of these companies.

Fortunately the onboard audio is quite good and shouldn't present problems for run n gun shooting. smile.gif

Sorry. I had deleted the comment. Sometimes I blabber on too much.
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I like the GX7 features and size myself. I see why you're keeping it.
post #69 of 71 Old 10-22-2013, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sometimes though even i take some footage content that excites,an uncommon usualy nocturnal Otter but the quality is disapointing,in this case because using a x convertor no NDX filter could be used http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC6MErF23f8.
Watching on TV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT9NnhYatNg looks better if far from perfect,any views.
post #70 of 71 Old 10-22-2013, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Quote:

BD30 is a rather old model. The Sony should play 1080p60 just fine if you put SD card directly into SD slot (does it have it? Mine... I think it is the S390, does.)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Why not the G6?

I'm going with the GX7 primarily because of the smaller size, better low light and a lack of reviews on the G6. At some point you have to bite the bullet. Every 2 weeks there's another camera.
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_G6/
post #71 of 71 Old 10-22-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ I had seen that review before. There was nothing in it or anything else I had read, that made me believe the IQ would be as good or better than the GX7.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page