post #31 of 39 Old 10-09-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedest View Post

Im using Premiere Pro, and it works really well with ProRes. Im getting almost no frame drops in real time playback during the editing process.
I'm to cheap for Premier Pro, but have been tempted many times.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 10-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I've tested Sony Vegas, Premiere Pro and DaVinci Resolve

Premiere Pro is a nice ballance between ease-of-use and great tools/plugins

If you want to go cheap, I know some people processing Blackmagic videos in Premiere CC with great results
post #33 of 39 Old 10-09-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Yep, you got it wrong Bill.

Blackmagic has 3 cameras. A 4k, a 2.5k and a 1080p camera. The pocket camera only shoots 1080p video. Im not talking about resolution. What makes the Blackmagic stand out from the crowd is:

- DYNAMIC RANGE: you have 13 stops of dynamic range. Our ordinary cameras have like 8 stops. That means less crushed shadows and less blown out highlights. Thats probably one of the best features of the camera, and you can see the difference in dynamic range wether you are using a 360p monitor or a 4k tv.

- COLOR INFO: those ordynary cameras record color information in 4:2:0 format. That means 3/4 of the color information is going to the trash. That results in a video with artificial colors, almost fluorescent. The Blackmagic records at 4:2:2 (preserves half of color info) and 4:4:4 (preserves all color info). That means natural colors, and Hollywood like colors.

- CODEC: ordinary cameras record videos at AVCHD 2.0 28+Mbps. Thats is A LOT of compression. That kind of compression reduces the amount of detail in your videos, creates more artifacts etc. The Blackmagic records at ProRes 422, the same CODEC used by professionals. The compression is at 220Mbps, so you will have more details, less compressions etc.

- RESOLUTION: In 1080p territory, the Blackmagic Pocket has one of the best resolutions, but that aspect is the least important of those 4.

- COMPUTER TO DEAL WITH THE VIDEOS: its actually the opposite of what you are thinking. Videos that are more compressed are harder to work with. Since the compression of AVCHD is 10 times higher, is actually worse to work with, and its very slow. Yes, the files of the Blackmagic will be bigger, and that means you will need a good amount of RAM memory, but the computer processor will thank you, because it's easier for them to work with ProRes!

We had that discussion a few months ago, about processing power, and let me tell you. Im currently editing A LOT of 4K RAW, 2.5K RAW and 1080p ProRes videos from BlackMagic IN MY NOTEBOOK, and its handling ALL of those files EASILY, so dont worry about post processing.

Here you can see a screen grab from the BlackMagic Pocket video that im currently playing with (And yes! Thats a video, not an HDR picture!!):

And here is a draw I made for you with the main differences biggrin.gif:D:D:D:D:D:D

In the left you have ALL 8-bit cameras, and in the right you have the BlackMagic.

1. The skyes in the 8-bit is artificial-blue and has no gradation, is just one big blue thing. In the Blackmagic it has gradations and it has a real-life blue color.

2. Due to the lack of dynamic range, the highlights are blown-out (white clouds) and your shadows are just a simple black mud. In the Blackmagic your highlights are preserved (detailed clouds) and you can see shadow information.

3. The colors in 4:2:0 space are really artificial.

4. Due to the lower compression, better codec and great sensor, the Blackmagic has more detail, as you can see in the pores I made in that dudes face biggrin.gif. Even if both are 1080p, the Blackmagic will look like a higher resolution video because of the amount of detail it preserves - so yes, you WILL be able to see the difference in your 1080p screen.

When you watch you videos made with 8-bit cameras you think: "Man, that video looks nice, but its not movie-like nice, what am I doing wrong?"

And the answer is: 8-bit cameras are NOT cinematic!!

The problem ends with the Blackmagic pocket, because its the first affordable digital camera that WILL GIVE you cinema like images!

This is easily the best and clearest explanation I've seen of why 10-bit 4:2:2 1080p is better than 8-bit 4:2:0 1080p and worth the extra hassle. Really looking forward to CinemaDNG RAW.

Now I just need to figure out which NLE to use. I tried Sony Vegas 12 last night and it was a bust - and the stable DaVinci Lite download wouldn't run on my machine - grrr. I'll download the Beta tonight - hopefully, I'll have better luck.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #34 of 39 Old 10-09-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poterium View Post

Nevertheless, thank you all for your replies. I am using cameras and camcorders for many years and I know, as it is obvious for anyone who has used both of them, that the quality of a video by a camera has nothing to do with the quality of it by a camcorder. Moreover, the camera is manufactured for photos! All the functions are set up for a certain purpose: photos! Even the way you can hold it. I find it very strange that it is so difficult to understand the difference between a camcorder and a camera... It is so obvious!!!

"So, please inform us what is it about the Panasonic SZ200 that disqualifies it, other than it looks like a camera?"
I' ve already have a Panasonic camera and, of course, the video quality and the relevant features of it are extremely worse with respect to my old video device Canon (5 years old)!
It is like you've been living under a rock for the last five years.

The only reasonable benefit for a traditional palmcorder is better handholding with one hand, but even this is not a hard fact if you use a photo-style camera with a decent-sized grip. Other than that you really need to look for features, not name. Many photo-style cameras do not offer zebras or composition lines or peaking or longer-than-30-minutes recording, etc. But other cameras do, so again, you need to look at the features you need, not at form-factor.

P.S. Your old Canon camcorder did not even have 1080p60 (or 1080p50, depending on where you live). A relatively small RX100 II with articulating screen and decent frame rate selection (60p and 24p) will shoot better video than anything you bought five years ago.
post #35 of 39 Old 10-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

And here is a draw I made for you with the main differences biggrin.gif:D:D:D:D:D:D

so pimples show up more with the bmpc? wink.gif
post #36 of 39 Old 10-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
thats pure art, my friend! biggrin.gif
post #37 of 39 Old 11-12-2013, 06:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Yep, you got it wrong Bill.

Blackmagic has 3 cameras. A 4k, a 2.5k and a 1080p camera. The pocket camera only shoots 1080p video. Im not talking about resolution. What makes the Blackmagic stand out from the crowd is:

[CUT]

The problem ends with the Blackmagic pocket, because its the first affordable digital camera that WILL GIVE you cinema like images!

I want to thank you for the superb explanation... really it was longtime that I "knew" these facts but now i've "understood" them smile.gif
But one question is : the Blackmagic Pocket has a viewfinder ?
And the other is: if i forget the x30 optical zoom feature the number of the available camcorder with the viewfinder will increase?

From my point of view the problem is not the "camera" form factor but the weight and the overall size of the camera like the Panasonic FZ200...
post #38 of 39 Old 12-05-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
https://vimeo.com/81085010 The HF-G30 is very good in very low light,i could not have used the EOS M for the second part of that film.It also shows the HF-G30s lens is great for wildlife.
post #39 of 39 Old 12-09-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page