Wireless Mic Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic camera and an Azden wireless mic. I create cooking videos for YouTube. I am having a problem with some of my viewers being unable to hear the sound that is recorded with my wireless mics. Most of my viewer say they hear it fine. It is almost like the ones that are not hearing it are not listening to it in stereo or from a ipad. I am editing it in Premiere Pro and exporting as 1080i with stereo chosen as the audio. The parts of my video that have regular music files they can hear fine...but as soon as I am talking with the mic they can't hear it.

It is strange because 99% of my users hear it just fine. I am at a loss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Please post a link to your cooking show. I want to listen (and learn to cook better)!
post #3 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Its www.youtube.com/amylearnstocook

Let me know if you can hear the mic audio. It seems like I am having this issue with only a few viewers. I am not sure if it is my mic, camera, Premiere Pro, or YouTube. It is very strange. I think Azdens are pretty good mics...Could it be an issue with mono vs. stereo?
post #4 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
On the featured video about your deep dark secret obsession with cooking equipment there is only a left channel on my computer. The right channel is silent. The left channel is clear and easy to listen to.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Are you hearing the music on both sides? Do you know if the mic records in stereo?
post #6 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If you cut meat with a different knife, will it taste different?

YouTube re-encodes all video and audio. It is not the mic.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

I will take a look at the video to see if it is doing it on my end before uploading it. Do you think it might help getting a stereo-mono adapter that splits the mono into stereo?
post #8 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 10:51 AM

I appreciate your help. We're gonna listen using headphones to see if we can mimic what you just notied. We'll also get a 1/8" mono jack to 1/8" stereo plug at Radio Shack to see if we can convert the mono mic into a fake stereo that populates both left and right channels. I'm guessing the people that have reported this problem only have one channel available (and its not the one with the sound). If I can get this plug today, we'll try it out tomorrow.

post #9 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy703 View Post

I will take a look at the video to see if it is doing it on my end before uploading it. Do you think it might help getting a stereo-mono adapter that splits the mono into stereo?

Yes. The Azden is recording mono, that's why your videos have the audio on the one side.
If you have an editor, Sony Vegas or similar, you can right-click on the audio clips/timeline (or however it's done in your editor) and convert to stereo without the need to buy a jack.

Or, as mentioned above, if you want to use the mono to stereo jack (right before it goes into the camcorder), they are only a couple of bucks.
You may want to get the jack and compare the results of converting in the editor and using the jack.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi Amy,

I have the same challenge with my Azden wireless mic. I use this $5 mono to stereo adapter when I plug the Azden into my Panasonic TM900.

It works like a champ and is a lot easier than fooling around with soundtracks in post.

Good luck!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #11 of 13 Old 10-12-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

It looks like the mono stereo adapter worked! Thanks everyone for your help. My next issue is going to be about cameras. I am thinking of moving to a more professional level camera in the future. I haven't been able to get my Panasonic V700 to work when it is against bright light. Still getting the lines. So...onward and upward. Are there any pro level cameras under $2,000?
post #12 of 13 Old 10-12-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

I haven't been able to get my Panasonic V700 to work when it is against bright light. Still getting the lines. So...onward and upward. Are there any pro level cameras under $2,000?

Have you tried manually adjusting the exposure?

The v700 also has a 46mm filter thread (the grooves located at the end of the lens).

You can screw on a 46mm neutral density filter to bring down the light/adjust the exposure:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/551374-REG/Panasonic_DMW_LND46_DMW_LND46_46mm_Neutral_Density.html

There are also variable ND filters that cover more stops of exposure than just a fixed amount, like in the first link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/839835-REG/Polaroid_PLFILFDND46_46mm_Neutral_Density_Fader.html

The Polaroid variable ND is kind of cheap. There are better ones such as ProMaster, Light Workshop, Tiffen, Hoya, etc.

With other brands, you may have to get a "46mm-to-52mm step up ring" along with a 52mm variable ND filter, or 46mm to.. ring and filter in a different size. Many of those brands don't make 46mm/that small.
post #13 of 13 Old 10-14-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Quote:

It looks like the mono stereo adapter worked! Thanks everyone for your help. My next issue is going to be about cameras. I am thinking of moving to a more professional level camera in the future. I haven't been able to get my Panasonic V700 to work when it is against bright light. Still getting the lines. So...onward and upward. Are there any pro level cameras under $2,000?
You should not get the lines even on a consumer cam. Still, shooting against bright light is a classic faux pas unless you are going for an effect.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page