Need advice in getting a video camera - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-19-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey everyone, Im Valentin, a musician (lead guitar). I have been recording youtube videos for 4 years. Right now Im recording my videos with a webcam (that gives acceptable results) and in live I depend on friends with smartphones (which video results are OK at best).

Now I want to buy a new video camera for better video performance, and record live performances aswell.

For sound I will most likely be bying an external recorder (set my eyes on Zoom H2n).

I found Sony HDR-CX290E which seems to deliver a pretty good image but a good friend of mine really reccomends me to buy a DSLR camera.

My budget would be around 350-400$.

Im not an expert in video recording and Im hoping that you guys can help me.

My youtube channel for anyone who might be interested:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Valentintheguitarist

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-19-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Welcome to the forum! I enjoyed your video. Thank you. Electric guitar music has been a favorite since listening to Chuck Berry!

Video is easy. Smartphone pressure has put video quality in almost every camera, especially enough for YouTube. If the camera specs include "1080p60", the quality will be as good as YouTube can accept. A DSLR will work too, but they tend to be a little more difficult to operate effectively.

Getting good audio is much harder. I don't have experience with Zooms, but understand they do very well. The problem comes when using an external recorder to get the sound track and the video track to synchronize in the final video product.

The easy way to get good audio is with the camera itself. Many camcorders do quite well for sound if the camcorder is close enough to the source. If not, you might look at models that include a mic input. I don't think the Sony you are looking at will do that. Unfortunately cameras with mic input are typically more expensive.

In short, the Sony you are looking at will be much better than a webcam for both sound and video quality. If you can find a way to sync the H2N audio with the video from the camera, the combination you are looking at should work well.

Good luck.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-19-2013, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Welcome to the forum! I enjoyed your video. Thank you. Electric guitar music has been a favorite since listening to Chuck Berry!

Video is easy. Smartphone pressure has put video quality in almost every camera, especially enough for YouTube. If the camera specs include "1080p60", the quality will be as good as YouTube can accept. A DSLR will work too, but they tend to be a little more difficult to operate effectively.

Getting good audio is much harder. I don't have experience with Zooms, but understand they do very well. The problem comes when using an external recorder to get the sound track and the video track to synchronize in the final video product.

The easy way to get good audio is with the camera itself. Many camcorders do quite well for sound if the camcorder is close enough to the source. If not, you might look at models that include a mic input. I don't think the Sony you are looking at will do that. Unfortunately cameras with mic input are typically more expensive.

In short, the Sony you are looking at will be much better than a webcam for both sound and video quality. If you can find a way to sync the H2N audio with the video from the camera, the combination you are looking at should work well.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. As for synchronizing its not a problem at all - each one of my videos is synchronized since I record the audio through a sound card and some programms.

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page