Canon EOS 70D VS older Sony Camcorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 10-27-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am about to purchase an SLR camera

My main reason for getting an SLR was only to have something better than my point and shoot camera. This camera was more then I was planning on investing. However, after reading about how great the video is I would be willing to spend this much if it could replace my camcorder as well. I currently have a Sony HDR-SR12 1080i from about 5 years ago that has an amazing picture and 5.1 audio. So my main question is will the video and sound from this camera be at least equal to my camcorder?

A couple other questions... I believe I read it correctly that I can snap pictures while shooting video... will the pictures taken in this manner be as high a quality as pictures taken when not shooting video? What kind of battery life can I expect when shooting video?

Thanks for any help. I need to get something this week for an event next weekend.
So any thoughts on this camera or others will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 10-27-2013, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhutt View Post

I am about to purchase an SLR camera

My main reason for getting an SLR was only to have something better than my point and shoot camera. This camera was more then I was planning on investing. However, after reading about how great the video is I would be willing to spend this much if it could replace my camcorder as well. I currently have a Sony HDR-SR12 1080i from about 5 years ago that has an amazing picture and 5.1 audio. So my main question is will the video and sound from this camera be at least equal to my camcorder?

A couple other questions... I believe I read it correctly that I can snap pictures while shooting video... will the pictures taken in this manner be as high a quality as pictures taken when not shooting video? What kind of battery life can I expect when shooting video?

Thanks for any help. I need to get something this week for an event next weekend.
So any thoughts on this camera or others will be appreciated.

You'll be pleasantly surprised at the image and sound quality from the 70D. A couple of things it won't be able to do that your camcorder can do:

1. You won't be able to use the 70D's viewfinder when you're shooting video (the mirror blocks it) and
2. You won't be able to put it on a tripod at the back of the event and record for hours (it shuts off after 30 minutes of continuous recording and has to be restarted).

Other than those two issues, you'll probably be comfortable with the 70D as a replacement for the SR12.

Regarding stills - you won't be able to take high res still images with the 70D while recording video. I'm pretty sure that only mirrorless cameras such as the Panasonic GH3 and Nikon 1 series cameras are capable of simultaneous video/high res still image capture.

Hope that's helpful and good luck at the event!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #3 of 54 Old 10-28-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

I think I need to rethink my motives. Not sure if this is the right step for me. What I was thinking of doing may not even be possible....with acceptable results that is.

Example....The event this weekend is the start of my daughters new season for gymnastics competition. I usually just film them with my Sony. And I wanted to get an SLR to take some nice pictures. The reason I started looking at something along this quality line was when I found out it could do video so well.
I was thinking I could video and take photos at the same time with the same camera.... even if high quality photos during video were possible doing them at the same time is just not realistic I don't think. Trying to following action with video and going in for a close up photo simultaneously... well, I guess I didn't think that through to much.

I would still have to do the video with my Sony and let the wife take the photos (or vice versa).
So, now I'm thinking that it might not be wise to invest so much $$$ if I'm not going to do what I originally intended.

I should be able to get a really good SLR that takes great pictures for only half the price (if I don't concern myself about video)... correct?

Now I don't know what to do!!!
post #4 of 54 Old 10-28-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Having had a SR12 as my first HD cam Imo any modern cam or camera would give a better picture.
post #5 of 54 Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post

Having had a SR12 as my first HD cam Imo any modern cam or camera would give a better picture.

I thought this thing had an awesome picture.... I guess 6 years ago it did.
Thanks for depressing me!!frown.gif

I need to decide what route to take now. Let's assume video is not important. What camera would you recommend?

This will mainly be used at family gatherings.
My daughters sporting events and activities.
Vacation.... those types of things.
I'm no where near and never will be a professional photographer.... so my eye for detail is not going to be as good as many of yours.
If I want something that will simply take awesome pictures that blow my pocket cam out of the water how much do I really need to spend?
post #6 of 54 Old 10-28-2013, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

I thought this thing had an awesome picture.... I guess 6 years ago it did.
Thanks for depressing me!!frown.gif

I need to decide what route to take now. Let's assume video is not important. What camera would you recommend?

This will mainly be used at family gatherings.
My daughters sporting events and activities.
Vacation.... those types of things.
I'm no where near and never will be a professional photographer.... so my eye for detail is not going to be as good as many of yours.
If I want something that will simply take awesome pictures that blow my pocket cam out of the water how much do I really need to spend?

This is a site about camcorders - video. So, maybe you want to take that assumption elsewhere smile.gif. The Canon 70D is an excellent stills camera, and it will take good video too, if you ever want to drop your assumption.
post #7 of 54 Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

This is a site about camcorders - video. So, maybe you want to take that assumption elsewhere smile.gif. The Canon 70D is an excellent stills camera, and it will take good video too, if you ever want to drop your assumption.

Well, when I first started this thread video was high on the list....and there's not a camera forum on AVS;)
The realization that I wont be able to simultaneously take video and photos kinda screwed that up... not sure what I'm going to do now but I will have to get something in the next couple of days.
I didn't give myself thorough time to research.... reading online tutorials, forums, and you tube videos is starting to make my head spin.

Amazon has a great return policy if I don't like my decision.biggrin.gif

Back to video.... what about the Sony A77?
post #8 of 54 Old 10-28-2013, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 106
OK. Here is what I think is the bottom line: Best mirrorless, bigger-sensor camera for video, that also takes very good stills: Panasonic GH3 (maybe GX7). Best combination of video (not quite as good as the GH3 for video) and stills, with really good video and top-quality stills (better than GH3): Canon 70D.

Sony A77 inferior in video to both of the above. I know less about its stills, but it is not likely to be better than the Canon I would expect.

And, go to DPReview.com for forums on still cameras.
brunerww likes this.
post #9 of 54 Old 10-28-2013, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The realization that I wont be able to simultaneously take video and photos kinda screwed that up...

You may have missed it, but as I said earlier, the Panasonic GH3 can simultaneously take photos and video.

You can get this camera right now for $998 from Amazon, and, if budget alows, the new $698 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 lens.

With this camera/lens combination, your still images will "blow your pocket cam out of the water" - and your video images will make the SD12 look pretty sad by comparison.

If you need a still/video camera right now that can take simultaneous HD video and high resolution stills, the GH3 is pretty much the only way to go.

Again, hope this is helpful.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #10 of 54 Old 10-28-2013, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
As a former Canon Rebel T3i owner (a camera very simiar to the Canon 70D), I think the Olympus E-P5, E-M5 or E-M1 with 14-42mm kits lens (which is actually the equivalent of a 28-84mm Canon 70D lens) would meet your needs better than the Canon 70D because all these three Olympus's have:

1) Unique 5 axis image stabilization so you can shoot very steady hand held video of family gatherings and sports that looks as if the camera was on a tripod (even with a telephoto lens attached).
2) Mirrorless design enables you to be able to use the viewfinder while shooting video.
3) Refined sounding audio quality (not hardly any background recording noise)
4) Compact size compared to the 70D
5) If you need more zoom range the $500 Olympus or Panasonic 14-140mm zoom could be purchased (the equivalent of a 28-280mm Canon 70D lens) or the Olympus 40-150mm zoom (only $129.00)

The Panasonic GH3 would be another choice, but compared to the Olympus's you would have to sacrifice the

1) 5 axis image stabilization (a huge sacrifice if you attempt to shoot hand held sports action with a telephoto attached to the GH3)
2) Punchy, yet realistic looking Olympus still image and video colors (GH3 colors are bland in Standard picture style mode and look artificial and digital in Vivid picture mode)
3) Compact size

Video geeks prefer the GH3 over the Olympus's because of the greater range of video recording modes it offers (e.g. higher bitrate modes, higher and slower frame rate modes and slow motion recording modes) and because they are used to using fluid head tripods.
post #11 of 54 Old 10-28-2013, 10:43 PM

Here is yet another alternative: A new premium $700 compact fixed lens Olympus with a 10x zoom range, fast f2.8 lens for shooting indoor stills or video, multi-directional image stabilization, and built in viewfinder: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/stylus-1.html?utm_content=stylus1_learnmore_cta&utm_campaign=stylus1&utm_source=email_etprm&utm_medium=email It's too new to have been reviewed yet by any of the online camera reviewers.
post #12 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 03:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunerww View Post

You may have missed it, but as I said earlier, the Panasonic GH3 can simultaneously take photos and video.

Hybrid Camera Revolution
Well, I did see this earlier but I was probably fixed on the video quality everyone was hyping the D70 to have.... How is the video in in the GH3 compared to the D70?... or the Olympus that SD90 mentioned?
If I'm going to spend this much money then video quality would probably be the deciding factor since someone like me probably wont even notice the difference in the stills that much.

But then again, even if the D70 is the best video quality the mirrorless design of the others allowing me simultaneous video with full res photos will also come into play.
post #13 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 05:23 AM
Advanced Member

lordhutt - a little more info that you may find useful.

The 70D has a moire problem and its viewfinder stops working in video mode. See this video at the 17:49 point for an example of the 70D's challenge with moire (shimmering colored lines on patterned objects):

The Olympus Stylus 1 looks interesting, but it is a small sensor camera with no external mic jack.

Neither the Canon nor the Olympus can record at 1080/60p for smooth action and/or slow motion. Neither of these cameras has a headphone jack. Neither can be used (like your SR12) to sit at the back of an auditorium to record a school play or other event because of their 30 minute continuous clip length limits.

Like a camcorder, the GH3 shoots for hours, not minutes. It has a headphone jack. Its viewfinder won't blank out in video mode like a DSLR - and it will give you the best 8 bit video image quality in this class, period.

Here are a few examples:

Documentary:

http://vimeo.com/66940018

http://vimeo.com/54076272

Narrative:

http://vimeo.com/49420579

http://vimeo.com/59543338

http://vimeo.com/beeldlab/thetide

http://vimeo.com/63792871

Wedding:

http://vimeo.com/77865466

I apologize for repeating myself, but if you need high resolution stills and video - and the ability to take stills while shooting video, the $998 (as of this post) Panasonic GH3 is probably your best option.

Good luck with your decision,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #14 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

You can get this camera right now for $998 from Amazon, and, if budget alows, the new $698 14-140mm f3.5-5.6 lens.

With this camera/lens combination, your still images will "blow your pocket cam out of the water" - and your video images will make the SD12 look pretty sad by comparison.

If you need a still/video camera right now that can take simultaneous HD video and high resolution stills, the GH3 is pretty much the only way to go.

Again, hope this is helpful.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

That may be exactly what I'm looking for as a next camera! There is a little longer lens that might work better for my goal of a wildlife lens. It's also a little cheaper. Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm/F4.0-5.6 Lens
post #15 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks brunerww.... I don't have time to watch all of those videos right this second but I will check them out this afternoon.... but I am like what I am seeing so far.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.
post #16 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:

How is the video in in the GH3 compared to the D70?... or the Olympus that SD90 mentioned?
Here are some brief 30-60 second hand held landscape clips from each camera:

Canon 70D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMuZJzFvfBY
Panasonic GH3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lriA6eRcr04
Olympus E-M5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MSM2Hkx8bk

Notice only the Olympus footage is real steady and that's because it has 5-axis image stabilization.
post #17 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
We all like different things,for me the GH3 colour lacks what Canon DSLR gives,regarding M&A i dont know if the GH3 is better than its predecessor but the one i owned had as bad M&A as i have seen https://vimeo.com/57369071 this is as bad as it was for me [hand held]and why i used a tripod if i could.
post #18 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

2. You won't be able to put it on a tripod at the back of the event and record for hours (it shuts off after 30 minutes of continuous recording and has to be restarted).

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Are there any cheap DSLRs in the $500 to $1000 range that can take nonstop 1080p videos for at least an hour or two?

I record classical music recitals/concerts regularly. . Some pieces last 50 to 70 minutes nonstop.

My current camcorder is the old Canon HF11 which produces pretty decent HD video quality. Like the OP, I'm looking to replace it... possibly with a DSLR with video capability.

Or am I better off staying with a real camcorder?
post #19 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The Panasonic GH2 and GH3 and even GX7 especially North American models can record non stop until theirs no more space on the card or no more battery power. They aren't DSLRs so you'd be able view your shots within the viewfinder if you really want to have as much battery power as possible.

Still, I wonder if they really mean at least 65 to 70 minutes for 1 battery and 130 to 140 minutes for the bigger battery when it comes to the GX7. I'm usually good reading info but that's throwing me off a bit. Panasonic probably made a mistake somewhere.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-GX7KS
post #20 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD90 View Post

Here are some brief 30-60 second hand held landscape clips from each camera:

Canon 70D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMuZJzFvfBY
Panasonic GH3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lriA6eRcr04
Olympus E-M5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MSM2Hkx8bk

Notice only the Olympus footage is real steady and that's because it has 5-axis image stabilization.

I downloaded all 3 and played in a loop on 3 24" monitors at the same time.
The Olympus was definitely the smoothest when panning across the castle. I don't know if it was my favorite picture when it was still though....

The 5-axis IS you are referring to.... is this a factor with any movement or just if you are shooting holding the camera in your hand.... Would it still be a factor if the camera was on a tri-pod?
<<<<ok, I just re-read your post #10 and think I got my answer to this last question>>>>>>>
post #21 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:

The 5-axis IS you are referring to.... is this a factor with any movement or just if you are shooting holding the camera in your hand.... Would it still be a factor if the camera was on a tri-pod?
The 5-axis offers no advantage if you are using a fluid head tripod. The purpose of the 5-axis is to help obviate the need to use a tripod to begin with. This 8 minute evaluation of the video capabilities of the Olympus E-P5 shows what its 5 axis can do for you in real life shooting situations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHsFTY67ADI
post #22 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD90 View Post

The 5-axis offers no advantage if you are using a fluid head tripod. The purpose of the 5-axis is to help obviate the need to use a tripod to begin with. This 8 minute evaluation of the video capabilities of the Olympus E-P5 shows what its 5 axis can do for you in real life shooting situations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHsFTY67ADI

I must have been editing my previous post when you replied.

I was looking at the E-P5 on Amazon.
What is the deal with the lenses.... it seems all the SLR's I look at come with a lens like 18-55 for only about $175 or 18-35 for about $350

The Olympus paired with a 17mm lens bumps the price up $450 ... and an Olympus 75mm lens is $900
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-M-ZUIKO-DIGITAL-Panasonic-Cameras/dp/B00CI3TQSO/ref=pd_sim_p_2
... I'm confused why there is no 'range' like in other lenses and why are they so expensive?
Then I did find a 40-150 for only $200
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-40-150mm-F4-0-5-6-Panasonic-Cameras/dp/B0066J6EOU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383079225&sr=8-2&keywords=olympus+40-150

What is the deal with all of these price ranges....
post #23 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Hi quietmouse - Panasonics are the only cameras in the DSLR form-factor that will record for hours instead of minutes.

The Panasonic GH2 is out of production, the GH3 and GX7 are both $1000+ body only - so the only interchangeable lens camera in your price range that can record an entire concert is the new Panasonic G6 ($638 with the 14-42 kit lens on sale at Amazon).

Here is what this camera can do:

Music video:

http://vimeo.com/76081090

Documentary:

http://vimeo.com/73561266

Wedding:

http://vimeo.com/72010967

This camera will do a great job of recording a couple of hours of high quality video.

Cheers,

Bill
post #24 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I must have been editing my previous post when you replied.

I was looking at the E-P5 on Amazon.
What is the deal with the lenses.... it seems all the SLR's I look at come with a lens like 18-55 for only about $175 or 18-35 for about $350

The Olympus paired with a 17mm lens bumps the price up $450 ... and an Olympus 75mm lens is $900
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-M-ZUIKO-DIGITAL-Panasonic-Cameras/dp/B00CI3TQSO/ref=pd_sim_p_2
... I'm confused why there is no 'range' like in other lenses and why are they so expensive?
Then I did find a 40-150 for only $200
http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-40-150mm-F4-0-5-6-Panasonic-Cameras/dp/B0066J6EOU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1383079225&sr=8-2&keywords=olympus+40-150

You are comparing expensive fast prime fixed focal length lenses to slow DSLR zooms.

The equivalent lens for Olympus cameras would be the $145 Olympus 14-42mm f3.5-5.6.
post #25 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:

In the case of the E-P5, it looks like Olympus is offering it for the pricey sum of $999 body only and that you have to pay alot more if you want it bundled with the VF-4 detachable viewfinder and/or the 17mm prime lens. Alternatively, you could buy the body only and then get the 14-42mm II R zoom lens on ebay for $100 or so: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l2632.R2.TR2.TRC1.A0.Xolympus+14-42+II+R&_nkw=olympus+14-42+ii+r&_sacat=78997&_from=R40
An inexpensive way to get the 40-150mm zoom lens is to buy it here for $129.00: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OLYMPUS-M-40-150-mm-F-4-0-5-6-ED-Silver-Lens-For-PEN-OM-D-Cameras-Dealer-/111196909296?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item19e3da2ef0

Another way to go is to get a slightly used E-M5 from the Olympus outlet bundled with the 12-50mm zoom lens for $919: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/outlet/reconditioned-cameras/e-m5-with-m-zuiko-digital-ed-12-50mm-ez-black-body-black-lens-reconditioned.html Unlike the E-P5, the E-m5 already has a built in viewfinder. These slightly used Olympus outlet cameras have a 90 day factory warranty which you can extend up to 2 years if you buy an extended warranty from Olympus. Olympus and Canon have good customer service and warranty repair reputations. Panasonic does not.

Remember the Olympus's and Panasonic GH3, G6 and GX7 are micro four thirds cameras so the focal lengths of their lenses cannot be directly compared to the Canon 70D; e.g. the 12-50mm zoom of the Olympus E-M5 is equivalent to a 24-100mm Canon 70D zoom. And the 40-150mm Olympus zoom is equivalent to a Canon 80-300mm zoom. Thus the little 40-150mm Olympus zoom actually has more than twice the telephoto zooming power of the Canon 18-135mm. And it's a compact featherweight lens compared to the large and heavy Canon 18-135mm.
post #26 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

These varying opinions are killing me!!

I've read tons of positive things about the D70
I have 'SD90' who is obviously on the Olympus side
'brunerww' who swears by the Panasonic
'marko41' taking sides with Panasonic and Canon

From what I can see, none of them has everything. They all have their strong points.

I might just be borrowing a camera for this weekend.... I don't know if I can read about this stuff anymore right now:eek:eek.gif
I will be getting something for sure... Just may take a little longer to decide than expected.

I appreciate all the help though.... I don't have enough knowledge and experience with this to make an easy decision.
post #27 of 54 Old 10-29-2013, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 514
So here's my perspective coming from a whole bunch of camcorders (including the SR12 in my distant past and most recently the Panasonic 920) as well as mirrorless DSLRs that included the NEX7, NEX6 (my wife's camera) and the GH2. I also still own the NEX VG30 which I'll be selling shortly. The problem I found with all of the Sony DSLRs was moire, occurring more frequently than I liked and to a greater degree than I liked. It really can destroy fine detail and once you see it, your eyes just gravitate toward it.

Most recently I had both the GH3 & GX7 in my possession. I tested both and found pros & cons to both. In the end I chose the GX7 based on pure picture quality. I found the color of the GX7 more natural and more saturated. Sharpness & detail was pretty much a draw. Although the GH3 produced a great picture, no matter how I fine tuned the color, I was always just a little bit dissatisfied. Keep in mind I'm more than a bit anal about this stuff and most people would not have been the least bit bothered as the GH3 does produce a fabulous picture.

However I found flesh tones to be more natural on the GX7 and the overall saturation to be more pleasing. It appeared that the GX7's image was just a bit more accurate. YMMV. In the end I'd say the overall PQ of the GX7 has exceeded anything I've gotten from my prior camcorders or DSLRs. It's almost devoid of moire and when it does occur, it's very minor.

What I liked better about the GH3 was the ergonomics (larger body that's a bit more comfortable to hold IMO), the mike input and the ability to shoot in .mov if that's important to you. However, interestingly, I found .mov to be a mixed blessing. Comparing the AVCHD files to the .mov files, you're immediately struck by a greater saturation & contrast with the .mov files. Upon closer inspection however, I found that the greater contrast was at times crushing blacks and hindering shadow detail. To recapture that shadow detail, I would back off on the contrast and wind up with a file that began to look not too much different than the AVCHD 28mpgs files.

OTOH, the GX7 has a more compact body, has in-body stabilization (for pictures only), produces arguably better videos, has better onboard sound and a VF that can be flipped up. It's really a matter of person choice. Regarding the audio, I found sound that was directed toward the front of the camera was picked up much better by the GX7 than the GH3. However the GH3 can accept outboard mikes and can negate that disadvantage quite easily if you chose to go outboard with your mike.

So in the end, these are two great cameras that produce a picture that will unquestionably surpass your SR12 in many ways.
brunerww likes this.
post #28 of 54 Old 10-30-2013, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

The Panasonic GH2 is out of production, the GH3 and GX7 are both $1000+ body only
The GX7 is actually $998 with the lens.
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Camera-14-42mm-Tilt-Live-Viewfinder/dp/B00E87OITK/ref=sr_1_4?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1383122599&sr=1-4
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/997465-REG/panasonic_dmc_gx7sk_lumix_dmc_gx7_mirrorless_micro.html

Still, Hunt's Photo Video who owns several stores around New England will be selling the camera lens package for a little under $900 if you include their mail in rebate but I believe that's only from the 1st to the 3rd of November during their Photo Video show.
http://wbhunt.com/events/hunts-show/
I'm not sure if you can buy it online at that special show price.
brunerww likes this.
post #29 of 54 Old 10-30-2013, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

I stand corrected, thanks Paulo. The GX7 body is indeed $898 at Amazon. That said, the lack of a mic jack is a deal breaker for me.

Something else to consider for those who are thinking about the GX7 as a camcorder replacement - its maximum continuous recording limit is about 2 hours , while the GH3's is approximately 4.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #30 of 54 Old 10-30-2013, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Bill, I can't recall ever recording a clip over 15 minutes for my own personal use, but that's me. I can see if you have a really long recital or something like that, it might be a limitation. But even then, there's bound to be a pause somewhere that would allow you to recycle your time limit.

I do think for some the lack of a mike input would be more of an issue if they didn't want to use a separate mike setup...it would for me if I was using it professionally. However for my own personal use, I'm finding the GX7's onboard mike to be quite nice and adequate for this kind of shooting.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page