What current Canon or Sony camcorder are comparable or better than the Canon HF10/HF11/HF100 camcorders from a few years ago? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Canon HF11 HD camcorder that I bought a few year ago. I believe it's similar to the HF10 or HF110 camcorders.

I have not kept up with the camcorder market in a while.

Which current Canon or Sony HD camcorders are comparable or better(in video quality) to the Canon HF10/HF11/HF100?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You can compare anything to anything. Depends on particular features you are looking for.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:05 PM

Liked: 11
I have a broken HF20 (which is close in age and quality to the HF10)...

Right now, I am considering the refurbished HF G10 (available at direct from Canon for $650.00... Originally $1,500.00), or the Canon HF R42 (currently MSRP for $450.00)...

The HF10 was about a $1,000 camera back in the day... If you are willing to pay that much, the newer (but not newest) Canon HF G20 is available for about that price...
Old 10-29-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post

I have a broken HF20 (which is close in age and quality to the HF10)...

Right now, I am considering the refurbished HF G10 (available at direct from Canon for $650.00... Originally $1,500.00), or the Canon HF R42 (currently MSRP for $450.00)...

The HF10 was about a $1,000 camera back in the day... If you are willing to pay that much, the newer (but not newest) Canon HF G20 is available for about that price...

I went to a local store and played with the Canon R42. I brought my own card so I can bring the video back home for viewing on my own TV.

I was surprised that the R42's picture was just as good as my vintage Canon HF11. How is this possible? It's only a little over $400 now.
Compare this to the almost $1000 that I paid for my HF11 a few years ago. frown.gif

My HF11 is actually working perfectly, but I'm just having that itch to try something new, with a new 4-year warranty. biggrin.gif
Old 10-29-2013, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietmouse View Post

My HF11 is actually working perfectly, but I'm just having that itch to try something new, with a new 4-year warranty.
There is absolutely no reason for it unless you must have 60p or native 24p.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I went to a local store and played with the Canon R42. I brought my own card so I can bring the video back home for viewing on my own TV.

I was surprised that the R42's picture was just as good as my vintage Canon HF11. How is this possible? It's only a little over $400 now.
Compare this to the almost $1000 that I paid for my HF11 a few years ago. frown.gif

My HF11 is actually working perfectly, but I'm just having that itch to try something new, with a new 4-year warranty. biggrin.gif

Funny story... My AV receiver went out on me after about 20 years... I am not quite the "money is no object" audiophile, but I was also not the person looking for a $99.00 receiver either...

I started to search for a replacement... In 1990, I spent about $1,000.00 for the receiver... So naturally, I decided that this was my price point, and I started looking for AV receivers that cost around $1,000.

Later, someone asked me why I wanted to spend so much on a receiver... I told him that AV was important to me...that I knew whatever I bought would last probably 10+ years, and that I didn't want to skimp...

He laughed and told me that what I described is like saying you want to spend $2,500 on a computer today because your spent $2,500 on a computer 10 years ago... Fact is, you can get a more powerful, more capable receiver for less money... And I did... I ended up spending about $600 for a nice Yamaha AV receiver that's still serving me well now...
Old 10-29-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I used to have an HF11 years back but now have a more recent Canon HF M50.

The main advantage to the M50 is the touchscreen and larger image sensor...but the HF11 image is sharper and cleaner:

Both models are HD and both shoot @ max of 24mbps bitrate. And besides the 60 frames per second, the R40 is actually going to be worse than the M50, as it has a small sensor.

So, you're really not gaining too much with more recent camcorders and losing some sharpness. (Although I'm not addressing other brands of camcorders, such as Sony.)

If you're itching to try something new, consider an interchangeable lens camera such as the Panasonic G6..takes video and stills:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-G6KK-Compact-Digital-14-42mm/dp/B00CFCTDD6/ref=sr_1_1/186-8511289-2358635?ie=UTF8&qid=1381793940&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+g6

There are many other choice/brands of these types of cameras - including Canon.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

I used to have an HF11 years back but now have a more recent Canon HF M50.

The main advantage to the M50 is the touchscreen and larger image sensor...but the HF11 image is sharper and cleaner:

Both models are HD and both shoot @ max of 24mbps bitrate. And besides the 60 frames per second, the R40 is actually going to be worse than the M50, as it has a small sensor.

So, you're really not gaining too much with more recent camcorders and losing some sharpness. (Although I'm not addressing other brands of camcorders, such as Sony.)

If you're itching to try something new, consider an interchangeable lens camera such as the Panasonic G6..takes video and stills:
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-G6KK-Compact-Digital-14-42mm/dp/B00CFCTDD6/ref=sr_1_1/186-8511289-2358635?ie=UTF8&qid=1381793940&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+g6

There are many other choice/brands of these types of cameras - including Canon.

Are you saying that the R40/R42/R400's picture quality is worse than the HF11?

I wonder why Canon no longer has camcorders in the $600 to $1000 range?

I played with a couple of the current Sony camcorders in the under $700 range.... they all produced horrible indoor video, compared to my old HF11.... I plan to try one of the Panasonic ones later this week. smile.gif
Old 10-30-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Are you saying that the R40/R42/R400's picture quality is worse than the HF11?

I wonder why Canon no longer has camcorders in the $600 to $1000 range?

I played with a couple of the current Sony camcorders in the under $700 range.... they all produced horrible indoor video, compared to my old HF11.... I plan to try one of the Panasonic ones later this week. smile.gif

The HF11 was released as a mid-range camcorder, the R.. camcorders are entry-level.

Even though they're years apart, the R camcorders will have a noisier image from the small image sensor.
Put the different models into YouTube and see for yourself.

I suppose a newer Panasonic camcorder might have some better features, better stabilization... but these are all HD camcorders and perhaps you start focusing on things such as the content and/or improved video techniques.

As I said, if you want to try an interchangeable lens camera system, a mirrorless or DSLR, this would be altogether different than the camcorders as you have the option to change lenses and you are dealing with much larger image sensors which will provide an opportunity for more cinematic footage and be better for low light than the small-sensor camcorders. You would also be able to take much better still pics.

Not saying camcorders are "bad"..just saying you may want to consider putting the money into something different being you already have a functioning HD camcorder.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

The HF11 was released as a mid-range camcorder, the R.. camcorders are entry-level.

Even though they're years apart, the R camcorders will have a noisier image from the small image sensor.
Put the different models into YouTube and see for yourself.

I suppose a newer Panasonic camcorder might have some better features, better stabilization... but these are all HD camcorders and perhaps you start focusing on things such as the content and/or improved video techniques.

As I said, if you want to try an interchangeable lens camera system, a mirrorless or DSLR, this would be altogether different than the camcorders as you have the option to change lenses and you are dealing with much larger image sensors which will provide an opportunity for more cinematic footage and be better for low light than the small-sensor camcorders. You would also be able to take much better still pics.

Not saying camcorders are "bad"..just saying you may want to consider putting the money into something different being you already have a functioning HD camcorder.

Thanks! Will look into those. smile.gif
Old 08-11-2014, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
How would a Pan HC-V550 and a 750 compare to the HF100? Looking to upgrade and like the small size of my HF100. The 750 is nice but it's huge. Not sure how much better if any the 550 will be over my HF100.
Old 08-11-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Has your HF100 stopped working? If not why you are looking for upgrade?
Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
Has your HF100 stopped working? If not why you are looking for upgrade?
It still works fine. I want better video quality. More zoom and a better stabilizer.

Do you feel the upgrade to a 750 would be warranted?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flnsx View Post
It still works fine. I want better video quality. More zoom and a better stabilizer.

Do you feel the upgrade to a 750 would be warranted?
It won't get much better unless you spring to 4K. The HF100 is a very good camera, I used to have one. If it works I would keep using it. Its only downside is lack of 60p. You don't need 60p for watching videos on TV, and modern computer players like Splash play interlaced video correctly. If you really want a 60p file then you can easily get 60p by deinterlacing 1080i. In all other respects it is a very capable camera. I don't think upgrading to the 750 is warranted.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
It won't get much better unless you spring to 4K. The HF100 is a very good camera, I used to have one. If it works I would keep using it. Its only downside is lack of 60p. You don't need 60p for watching videos on TV, and modern computer players like Splash play interlaced video correctly. If you really want a 60p file then you can easily get 60p by deinterlacing 1080i. In all other respects it is a very capable camera. I don't think upgrading to the 750 is warranted.
Ungermann, thank you for taking the time to give your input. It's very much appreciated!