Which AVCHD camera has the longest continuous recording time? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-08-2013, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm filming wildlife by the use of Canon Legria hf g-25. I place the camcorder in a place of interest (e.g. close to bird nest) and let it film for 11h 45 min, afterwards I process the video to extract video of interest. Is there other brands/models that have higher capacity than this? I was hoping something like 24 or 48 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-09-2013, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo1978 View Post

Hi,

I'm filming wildlife by the use of Canon Legria hf g-25. I place the camcorder in a place of interest (e.g. close to bird nest) and let it film for 11h 45 min, afterwards I process the video to extract video of interest. Is there other brands/models that have higher capacity than this? I was hoping something like 24 or 48 hours.

Cameras like the Canon XA10 had 64GB hard drives that would hold a fair few hours but not the amount you want,anyway that cam is now replaced.The bigger capacity in gb card you purchase the more hours you get,64gb would hold a lot more than the 1hr 45m you get now.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-09-2013, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi Jamo - sadly, according to the Canon Europe site, the HF G25 stops recording after 12 hours, no matter how large your SD card is:
Quote:
A single scene can be recorded continuously for 12 hours; at that point, the camcorder will stop for about 3 seconds before resuming recording.

The 12 hour limit is standard for Canon camcorders.

I would get the £1150 Panasonic AG-AC8 with dual memory card slots and put a couple of £67 Kingston 128GB SDXC cards in it. Each card will last a little over 10 hours at 1080/50p 28mbps and longer at lower bit rates. The camera will automatically switch between cards without interruption and should get you pretty close to 24 hours of continuous recording at 1080/50i 24mbps, as long as you have external power.

If you want to record any longer than that, you'll need an external recorder smile.gif

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #4 of 4 Old 11-09-2013, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for reply. 24 h is closer at least:) But Panasonic AG-AC8 is too expensive, I'm more after small handy camcorders. I have a small 12VDC battery with a small power converter, so it could power the camera for several days. For my research I have mainly used mini DVR (external recorder) but the video quality is not good enough. Is there external recorders that record in HD and which doesn't consume too much power? The good thing with camcorders is that they are very power efficient.
Reply Camcorders

Tags
Canon Xa10 Professional Camcorder With 64gb Internal Flash Memory And Full Manual Control

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page