What do you do with a three year old camcorder. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 11-11-2013, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I took it on a walk yesterday. I forgot how much I enjoyed it when new. It was purchased largely from reading about camcorders on this forum. It has been as far west as Hawaii and as far east as Italy. Now it's on the Oregon coast. I seem to have abandon it in favor of two pocket sized cameras I have.

As an equipment forum, there is not much to say about the camcorder itself. It was all said three years ago.

Here is what it did yesterday: https://vimeo.com/79116798

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-11-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
That was the best video you posted in your channel. The camera is great (is it the V700?), the compositions are awesome and the place is beautiful. And the lighting conditions were great.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-11-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedest View Post

That was the best video you posted in your channel. The camera is great (is it the V700?), the compositions are awesome and the place is beautiful. And the lighting conditions were great.

Thanks for the compliment. The camera is a Panasonic SDT750. When I bought it, it appeared in every way to be a TM900 with a different label and packaged with a 3D lens. It was heavily discounted because nobody wanted a 3D camera. Some bought it and sold the lens.

Frankly, I'm not sure why the lighting came out so well. It was mid day and I had the camera set to automatic and paid no attention to the mechanics.

The place is Newport, OR. The lighthouse is Yaquina Head and is my new neighbor as my wife (and I) bought a lot in an RV park to visit with our motorhome.
post #4 of 16 Old 11-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

I knew it. Thats the reason why I think that camcorders still have their place in the world. Their algorithm is better. Those cameras can compress the DR really well.

As you know, I have a big tongue, so I'll share some thoughts:

1. Camcorders do something similar to what the Blackmagic does. They compress the DR a lot, thats why their image may look flat and dull for some people. I like it, but some people dont. Since you like do edit, you can play with that if you want. Those shots have no real blacks or real whites. Its great to create a nostalgic look, but if you want real life images you just have to play with your lumma curve. You can also add a little bit of saturation.

2. You did too many fades. That makes the video look a bit amateurish. Try to do simple cuts most of the time, and keep the fades for special moments.

If you dont mind, here is my vision. I had to play with it, because the compositions are great!

What did I do?

- Recovered 10% of the highlights
- Created real blacks and real whites
- Pumped up the saturation
- Increased the local contrast A LOT (maybe too much? biggrin.gif)
- Created a 240fps slowmotion (maybe too much? biggrin.gif)

Anyway, I like it! Well done Bill. Your video could sell that camera for me.

* one more thing. Those cameras are great but that codec sucks. Damn! Things could be so much better with a simple software tweak!
post #5 of 16 Old 11-11-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have no issue with your tongue and have enjoyed a couple tangles with it. (grin)

I'm flattered that you took the time to play with my video. I accept and thank you for the suggestions.

In this case I took took the video for me, my wife, three friends that own RV lots here and for my granddaughters. It is a sort of limited documentary aimed at that group because they are not here at the beach and the weather was so nice. Putting it here on this forum was an afterthought when, in another thread, it was suggested more of us should share videos. For the target audience it was important to have the ocean noise.

I'll play with all your suggestions. My experience so far with my low end Premier Elements is that major adjustments and corrections create a lot of grainy noise. Perhaps if I'm gentle it may be better. I've spent a lot of time learning Lightroom with RAW photos this year. I can only dream of that capability in video. It will be fun to repurpose this short video from a "documentary" to an "artwork".

Ultimately, the aim of this video is to be a about 10 minutes long and be a container for video clips I collect here in my new alternate residence location. It will play in a loop on a dedicated TV on my desk like a "picture frame". Over time I'll change out the clips.

What do my mean by your reference to the codec and software tweak? Are you meaning the cameras AVCHD, the software's H.264 or Vimeo's rework?

I would like to find a forum where people share thinking on video creation with consumer tools. Here it really is about hardware. That's great, but I'm thirsty for some creative juice. Perhaps its on Vimeo and I've not looked hard enough. I enjoy what I've learned the last couple years, but there is a lot of room for improvement.
post #6 of 16 Old 11-12-2013, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

I was talking about the AVCHD, its too fragile. A different codec could make a world of differences on those cameras.

And I would also like to find a forum about post processing, but I dont know any. Make sure to share if you find one!
post #7 of 16 Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Footage looks great. I know it was originally captured @ 60fps, but there is a nice cinematic look to it.

And here we all are debating blurry background cameras when this is pretty much all you need. biggrin.gif
post #8 of 16 Old 11-12-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

Footage looks great. I know it was originally captured @ 60fps, but there is a nice cinematic look to it.

And here we all are debating blurry background cameras when this is pretty much all you need. biggrin.gif
Thank you!

I did shoot at 60fps but processed in Premier Elements with output to Vimeo specs which includes 30fps. Then I uploaded that.

My Sony RX100 is on vacation for 10 days in Laredo, TX having sensor dust spot removed. It was tearful stuffing it in blanket of bubble wrap and a brown UPS box. Since my wife (and I) just bought a very small piece of land on the Oregon Coast, I thought I should shoot some video of some sort. I had not taken my camcorder of the shelf since I bought the temporarily absent RX100. What the heck!

Credit: Google Earth

I was very surprised that my beach clips looked so good! I was even more surprised that I had forgotten how good the camera is.

It is clear that I need to squash my gear addiction syndrome and stop drooling on EOS-Ms, RX10s and GH3s just for longer lenses and blurry backgrounds.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-13-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The sequel!!

The star is my wife's true love. He was kept in a kennel or on a leash for his first couple of years. When we took him to a beach a couple years ago, he didn't know how to run. His feet moved faster, but the body did not gallop. When he figured it out, he acted like it was his own personal new invention.

It is a work in progress. I did leave out transitions. I did not "grade" it. And, I'm sorting out some slow motion issues.

Fuzzball Goes to the Beach from Bill Sprague on Vimeo.

post #10 of 16 Old 11-14-2013, 01:02 PM

Liked: 11

Great video Bill. Picture looks sharp and I think you'll have a nice memory of the trip for years to come with this.

post #11 of 16 Old 11-14-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 127
The TM750 + a good photographer can make a great video (the nice setting helps too), as you demonstrated. But the point of this forum is new equipment, and I do not see how you can resist the very latest model from Canon:

post #12 of 16 Old 11-14-2013, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #13 of 16 Old 11-14-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

The TM750 + a good photographer can make a great video (the nice setting helps too), as you demonstrated. But the point of this forum is new equipment.....
Of course. Would it not be a better forum if it included a little more of what you can actually do with video equipment? If there is a rule restricting posters to only those with brand new gear, there would be few that can participate. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your thorough displays of what your gear can do.

Bill
post #14 of 16 Old 11-14-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Of course. Would it not be a better forum if it included a little more of what you can actually do with video equipment? If there is a rule restricting posters to only those with brand new gear, there would be few that can participate. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your thorough displays of what your gear can do.

Bill

I was just kidding - I think there is too much talk and too little video with commentary. It is clear we are all obsessed with new gear, perhaps a bit too much. Turns out not much has improved upon the TM750 among camcorders. Break out that Brownie, and let's check it out...smile.gif.
post #15 of 16 Old 11-14-2013, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

I was just kidding - I think there is too much talk and too little video with commentary. It is clear we are all obsessed with new gear, perhaps a bit too much. Turns out not much has improved upon the TM750 among camcorders. Break out that Brownie, and let's check it out...smile.gif.
I got the joke. Thinking it might be an EOS-M II I found it in the "Canon Museum".

My camcorder is actually a SDT750, a TM900 marketed in a package, complete with 3D lens.

I do have a nearly 60 year old snapshot of me shooting with what I think is a Brownie!

My "new" gear is a RX100. I would enjoy posting samples of the hundreds of clips I've taken for people to see what it can and can't do. I tried to start a thread for that and it died ever so quickly because slashcam said it was a crappy camera.

I'm going to buy one of three, maybe four, cameras. But, by the time I do, they will be "old" to this forum.

Bill
post #16 of 16 Old 11-15-2013, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Bill, when you created your RX100 topic the only thing that people cared about was "sharpness", artifacts and slashcam test-charts (and I was one of those).

Now, at least I realized that I was actually closing my eyes to more important things. Today I can appreciate those cameras with less preconception. You can see a lot of camcorders performing well in slashcam, but the RX100 videos can create a better look, with more pleasing images than those cameras
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page