post #61 of 67 Old 11-29-2013, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedest View Post

The 30k editing panel is something essential and should be used by everyone. Your shopping list actually consists of basic stuff that all shooters should have. And it costs less than a good car, so its not that expensive.

When I said that I was just joking Bill.

The editing panel is useless unless you are a pro. Its made to optimize the work of editors because they give you lots of shortcuts.
And I dont think that you should spend that much money on gear, unless you are a pro. And a well paid pro.

I do prefer smaller kits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

About the mammals --- I'll be looking for the ones with a lot of fur. wink.gif

Its hard to find female mammals with fur here. We have an invention called "the brazilian wax". biggrin.gif

The cameras im thinking about buying are:

- Blackmagic Pocket
- Blackmagic 4k
- Blackmagic 2.5k
- A new 5DMK3
- D16

And I agree with marks calculation. The video I posted is awesome, but my objective was not to show the advantages of RAW. I was actually showing beautiful compositions.

With a BMPCC + a 100-300mm lens you will have RAW video and 900mm zoom for 1,5K. The video quality will be the same one as the video I posted.

But I have also seen some nice videos made with the GH3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 11-29-2013, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Mark wrote, "another caculation: $995 bmpcc, resolve lite $0 + the lens you bought= 600mm raw shoot"

the(no first name)dest wrote, "With a BMPCC + a 100-300mm lens you will have RAW video and 900mm zoom for 1,5K. The video quality will be the same one as the video I posted."

The notion that the lens I ordered could serve another purpose did cross my mind when I bought it.

Bill
post #63 of 67 Old 11-29-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I said that I was just joking Bill.
What? That's out of character for you! In the few short weeks we've been exchanging forum posts, it seems you are a very serious person! (Grinning here...)
post #64 of 67 Old 11-29-2013, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The cameras im thinking about buying are:

- Blackmagic Pocket
- Blackmagic 4k
- Blackmagic 2.5k
- A new 5DMK3
- D16

I had to google a bit to figure out the D16. I had not heard or seen that one. Interesting!

Good luck on getting that Christmas present. (grin)

Bill
post #65 of 67 Old 11-29-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

Mark wrote, "another caculation: $995 bmpcc, resolve lite $0 + the lens you bought= 600mm raw shoot"

the(no first name)dest wrote, "With a BMPCC + a 100-300mm lens you will have RAW video and 900mm zoom for 1,5K. The video quality will be the same one as the video I posted."

The notion that the lens I ordered could serve another purpose did cross my mind when I bought it.

Bill

If you enjoy playing with RAW stills, you will like doing the same thing (different software) with RAW video. Folders of RAW frames from the camera are just like clips in any video editor (or just like single RAW stills) in terms of what you do using Resolve. No conversion steps if you do not want to: camera "clips" are "graded" and then are edited (trimmed, merged, add transitions) to make a video. And automatic joining of the audio to the clips.

But you get superior resolution, potentailly better color (4:2:2), no limits due compression loss, and lots of creative potential (and, of course, amazing dynamic range). And the free "Captain Hook" LUT gives you a good staring point for the color (what's with these names? Magic Lantern, Black Magic, Captain Hook).

Carry the BMPCC in your pocket, shoot with your GX7 and then when you want to experiment, switch the lens and shoot RAW (and also get automatically "closer" by 50% with more dof to play with!).
post #66 of 67 Old 11-29-2013, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mark and the(no first name)dest,

There is no doubt I'm interested and fascinated with RAW video. I just spent more money on a camera and lens than ever. We also ordered a new camera for my DW (d*** wife). On top of that, we decided our son needed something better to record or drop dead gorgeous, charming and brilliant granddaughters. Hence, I'm out of money for cameras for awhile. (My wife pre ordered a Panasonic GM1!)

That said, I have an entirely new interest to go along with all the other amazing digital imaging stuff I've learned the last couple years. Please keep it up with theRAW arguments discussions and demos of RAW video. I'm enthralled and will watch it become more "main stream" while the camera equipment budget heals!

Bill
post #67 of 67 Old 11-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

What? That's out of character for you! In the few short weeks we've been exchanging forum posts, it seems you are a very serious person! (Grinning here...)

The internet is a funny place. We talk with people with different cultures and we cant see their faces - sometimes we can imagine wrong things.

And I am a serious person? LOL You have no idea how much I laugh even when im "fighting" here. Cameras are not something serious for me. Its just fun.

Another inspiration with basically the same camera that you have: https://vimeo.com/66960250

I do think that he bought the wrong lenses. They are too expensive. With the same money you can buy 2 fast primes, one normal zoom and one big zoom.

And BTW, im not trying to sell RAW to you. I do like the GH3 and I like the GX7 even more, because its probably one of the sexiest cameras in the market. I wonder if it can be hacked.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page