XLR Transformers in a Box To a Stereo Mini Jack? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-15-2013, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm talking about inputting live audio stereo signals off a studio mixing console into whatever camcorder I end up with.

To do this, I was recommended to buy a Beachtek DXA-2T for $179.00.

Now; I don't mind having nice gadgets and stuff but can anyone tell me what is inside this gorgeous piece of architecture?

http://www.beachtek.com/products/camcorders/dxa-2t/

The reason I ask is because I have a couple Shure XLR transformers laying around my PA parts box. Is this Beachtek unit just a nice box with inputs pots ending at a mini jack?  If so, I'd rather save the money and create a 'Y' jack to accomplish my needs.  I don't need the input potentiometers because the stereo output master on the board would control input.

Is it as simple as my 'Y' jack idea or is there more to it than that?:confused:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-16-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Since the Beachtech does not seem to be powered, it may well be a simple fancy "Y" and impedance matching device. If it were me, I would call B&H Photo and ask. If the size of their catalog means anything, my guess is they have someone that knows.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi OneDuhh - Yes, the DXA-2T is just a transformer and a couple of pots.

If your Shure XLR transformers are impedance matching Shure A96Fs, and you set levels at the board, a Y cable will work. But the Shures have to be impedance matching transformers, not just adapters.

If you don't have A96Fs, get a couple of $17 Hosa MIT-156s and a Y cable and you should be in business.

Good luck!

Bill B. (the other Bill smile.gif)
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #4 of 7 Old 11-17-2013, 01:31 AM

Bill,

Do you know the schematic of this? Since the XLR is for balanced mono audio content, & the 3.5mm connector shown is for single-ended two-channel (stereo) content, I'm a bit perplexed.

Normally the 3.5mm connector would use the innermost contact as ground, and the tip & center contacts would be the left & right channels respectively.

How is the "unbalanced" high impedance side of the transformer wired to the 3.5mm connector?

Thanks, Alan
post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Please see the schematic on page 2 of the Shure A96F manual here to see how Shure does it.

I haven't read a circuit diagram in a long time, but they're apparently raising the impedance on the mono XLR input with a transformer, then splitting it into two channels and sending it to the 3.5mm jack.

The approaches taken by the Hosa MIT-156 and Pearstone LMT100 XLR to 3.5mm transformer/adapters are probably about the same.

Cheers,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #6 of 7 Old 11-17-2013, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

You guys are AWESOME!  I'll keep yaz posted.

post #7 of 7 Old 11-21-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

OK ... today, I finally bought the Canon Vixia R400 with the 32GB sans disk.  Since I don't need all the instant communication  stuff,  why spend the money on the R40 or R42 ... it's the same camera mechanically.

You guys gave me the joy of saving money by not buying the Beachtek audio adapter SO .. I just want to confirm the details of my needs:

From the mixer/console, my music will be exiting from her Stereo Outs L&R (male XLRs) ... have a nominal impedance of +4db/600ohms.

The inline transformers (XLR3F) are all marked 200 ohms. - 50 ohms (Lo-Z to Hi-Z) and come with a 1'4" mono jack out. I need 2 of these .. one for left channel of mixer and one for right channel of mixer.

Then, is it just a simple Y-Jack of 1/4 + 1/4 to a stereo Mini jack?

Are these inline transformers for my intended use OR am I searching for the nominal impedance ones of 600 ohms?

Part 2;

For 2 live mics direct to the camera without the mixer, is it just 2 standard XLR cables from the mics into a XLR Y-Jack that terminates into the stereo Mini-Jack? Are condenser mics better than high quality dynamics?

Thank you in advance.

Valo

http://bandmix.com/Valo

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page