Please Help - JVC Everio GZ-V500 or Canon Vixia HF R400? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Canon Vixia HF R400 or JVC Everio GZ-V500, Full Specs Included?

I'm thinking of buying the Canon Vixia HF R400 or JVC GZ-V500.

Canon Vixia HF R400 Specs - $199.99
Sensor : 3,280,000 Pixels (1/4.85" CMOS (RGB))
Lens : 32.5mm - 1,723 mm (Advanced Zoom : ON)
Resolution : 1080p/60p @ 35mbps (4.375MB/s) MPEG-4 (*.MP4)
Aperture : f/1.8 - f/4.5
Sound Quality : IDK.
Touch Screen : YES.
Battery : Lithium Ion - 3.6v 1.840 mAh (84 Mins)

JVC Everio GZ-V500 Specs - $249.99
Sensor : 3,320,000 Pixels (1/4.1" BSI CMOS)
Lens : 32.8 mm to 594.5 (Dynamic Zoom : ON)
Resolution : 1080p/60p @ 24mbps (3.000MB/s) AVCHD (*.MTS)
Aperture : f/1.2 - f/5.6
Sound Quality : 48Khz @ 256 kbps
Touch Screen : YES.
Battery : Lithium Ion - 3.7v 1,200 mAh (48 Mins)

So, which one is best? I know about the specs. I understand them.

I plan on buying the Canon from B&H Photo Video : Keyword Search : Canon Vixia HF R400.

I plan on buying the JVC from QVC - Item number : E222277

Official : JVC Everio GZ-V500 Page. I'm not allowed to post links yet.

Official : Canon Vixia HF R400 Page. I'm not allowed to post links yet.

I would like to know if the JVC Everio GZ-V500 Records at 60p (60 FPS) ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
no the jvc only records at 60i. i would avoid the jvc anyhow, i havent really heard any positives about it
Guest3123 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks FishyWishy, appreciate the reply. Much Appreciated.

FishyWishy, does it record at (30p) 30 fps?

If it records at 30p, that should be good enough. But I'd spend the money on the Canon and save money. If I really have to.

The Canon Vixia HF R400 is Best Selling on Amazon, etc.

I know that there's not very many reviews about it, but look at the specs, the specs are better than the Canon, right..?

The Sensor is bigger, the F Stops are bigger. It's got a an F Stop of f/1.2 ! That's really good for low light right?

The one really bad thing about the JVC is the battery, it sucks really bad at 45-48 mins battery life.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-26-2013, 02:31 PM

Liked: 11

I'm not going to tell you which camcorder to get but I think you are overthinking your purchase. I don't think one camcorder is going to have a considerably different picture quality than another at this price range.

If it helps, I'd get the r400 because of the external audio capabilities. You can buy it even cheaper, refurbished on bhphoto for 159 USD. 

Hope this helps.

Guest3123 likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-26-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by notkevin View Post

I'm not going to tell you which camcorder to get but I think you are overthinking your purchase. I don't think one camcorder is going to have a considerably different picture quality than another at this price range.

If it helps, I'd get the r400 because of the external audio capabilities. You can buy it even cheaper, refurbished on bhphoto for 159 USD. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks NotKevin. I keep telling myself that. Your right.

post #6 of 7 Old 11-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What are you going to use the camera for ? If your interested in doing professional work then don't look at any of the camcorders under $1000.00 . If your just wanting to record family events and outings then don't be too picky . My HF M50 does all I require from a camcorder . I don't give a hoot if it's 60i or 60p . Rarely do you see any difference with camcorders under $700.00 . The quality of your movie will depend on how you edit the movie . There are some pros here that can edit any movie and make it look good but if you know nothing about editing then I suggest you take some courses whether online or in school or books . But learn editing . Getting down to all the nuts and bolts about 30FPS or 60i or 60p or 24FPS , really should not be any ones worry unless your turning pro some day . When you go to buy a car do you buy what you want or what everyone else suggest only later to turn out you wish you had bough what you want . Buy what you can afford , your going to need a good editing program which I use Photoshop Premier Elements which is very good and cheaper than buying the pro at $800.00 .
Guest3123 likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-26-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlhodges View Post

What are you going to use the camera for ? If your interested in doing professional work then don't look at any of the camcorders under $1000.00 . If your just wanting to record family events and outings then don't be too picky . My HF M50 does all I require from a camcorder . I don't give a hoot if it's 60i or 60p . Rarely do you see any difference with camcorders under $700.00 . The quality of your movie will depend on how you edit the movie . There are some pros here that can edit any movie and make it look good but if you know nothing about editing then I suggest you take some courses whether online or in school or books . But learn editing . Getting down to all the nuts and bolts about 30FPS or 60i or 60p or 24FPS , really should not be any ones worry unless your turning pro some day . When you go to buy a car do you buy what you want or what everyone else suggest only later to turn out you wish you had bough what you want . Buy what you can afford , your going to need a good editing program which I use Photoshop Premier Elements which is very good and cheaper than buying the pro at $800.00 .

YouTube, Family Holiday Recording. I will be doing lock picking videos, Science & Physics, Product Videos (ImpactGel, CarbonX, Warm Clothing, etc), Just shooting to record memories, and special events. I have a Samsung SL202 that records at 480 x 630 with a 1/2.3" CMOS Sensor. It sucks. I can't see the lock when I'm picking it, and I want to show people like BosnianBill, my family & friends that I can pick alot of different types of locks inlcuding Schlage Deadbolts and stuff.  I really don't care if it's 60i or 60p (yes I do, lol), but I want to make sure I get my moneys worth, and I want to make sure that my absolute first Full HD Camcorder is nice and records crystal clear video. I'm not going to be making any money with the Camcorder, so your right, it's going to be under $300. There's 68 Camcorders that are under $300, and it sure as hell isn't going to be a hello kitty camcorder.  I didn't really have a choice when I set out to find a Full HD Camcorder. There were things like f/1.8 that I didn't understand, or 1/2000 that I didn't understand. or even 1/5.8" or 1/2.3" that I didn't understand, so I went and learned about the specs, and now I know what they mean. I taught myself EVERYTHING. Now it has become like a curse, like Adam & eve eating the forbidden fruit. I'm now conscious about what these specs mean, and I want the best for the money I'm going to spend, so it scares me.. And when I look arround the Internet and find out things like the JVC has been discontinued, or it has hardly any reviews or ratings, but the specs tell me differently.. It makes things very hard on me. Even though I know that's it's supposed to be a good decent Camcorder, above the competition.

As far as buying a Car, Laptop, TV, or anything else, I look at the specs. I learn about them if I don't know what they mean.

If it's a Car, I'll get a VW Passat TDI, because I can travel 600+ miles on a tank of Gasoline. I'll spend like $80 on diesel every 2 weeks to go back and forth to work.

I can go from Pennsylvania to New York, and then back again to Pennysylvania.  When I get back, I'll still have enough gasoline to go to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things, and not have to worry about going to the gas station to re fuel.

I'm not your average consumer. I like to learn, study, and get the upper hand when I'm spending my cash on things that people are trying to sell to me.

As far as editing.. I'm very good with Computers. I can edit video, I can use After Effect, I can burn video files (movies) to DVD-R, I can stream to Justin.tv & over Video chat like OovoO and Skype.  etc. etc. That's almost too easy. So easy in fact that I can program in an Object Oriented Programming language Visual Basic .NET

Isn't there a difference though in Interlaced or Progressive, because I'm sure there is.. I want a REAL Camcorder. But I don't want to spend a million dollars on it. I'm trying to keep it under $300, if not less. I have until Friday, to figure out which one I'm gonna buy. I get my paycheck friday, and I've been waiting over a month to get my YouTube channel to where it was 5 years ago. I used to be pretty big on YouTube, had lots of people commenting on my videos, telling me thanks and etc. That was when VB.NET was really big, and I did clear & Understandable video tutorials. When everyone else, you couldn't even see the code on the screen, even if they were using a Screen recorder, Like me.

This time, it's not going to be VB.NET or Programming.. I have Some videos on there that I stoll from my old account (LONG STORY), but I'm going to do something different this time.

I'll probably just have to man up, and just buy the damn thing. Which I probably will do. I can always return it, and try again.

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page