monocular video recorder, Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi there,
Does anyone knows if there is a such thing as monocular video recorder?
There are so many different monocular optics on the market, but for some reason I can't find monocular video recorder for (day time). There are many Night Vision monocular video recorder, but that is not what I'm looking for.

I need to be able point, and record video from good distance (10x or 20x may be even 30x).

Please let me know if such thing actually exists.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure I understand what you want, but Sony makes some stabilized binoculars with an internal video recorder.

There are also camcorders with an eyepiece to be used instead of the screen. I have one with 20x zoom and an eyepiece that seems to be functionally the same as a monocular.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wait, I vaguely recall reading about a binocular I think that that might include a camera, is that what you mean?

I believe that 'Monocular' and 'Binocular' are terms used for viewing by eye. Not sure what you are after. Monocular? For viewing by eye often magnifications are given, 7X binoculars, or 10X Monocular, etc. The "X" usually means it is that much bigger than when viewed by eye. A person would be 7X taller, etc.

Do you mean a camera with a telephoto lens for a video camera? Or to find a telephoto lens for a camera that you already have.

For cameras, long focal length lenses are usually specified as "35 mm equivalents" -- the approximate horizontal and vertical fields of view of the old 35 mm film cameras in use for so many years. This is too complicated to explain in a forum. I'd suggest that you search "35 mm equivalent" . Then when you get the spec for a video camera lens you will be able to get an idea of the field of view covered. Using 35 mm equivalent specifications is a very poor system so don't feel bad if it is not clear. Using the '35 mm equivalent' specs Telephoto lenses will be listed as having focal lengths such as 200 or 300mm and greater.

This camera lists an especially long focal length of 600mm BUT I believe that it is an electronic feature and not of the lens itself.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-fz200/2

Look at the lens specs that show the focal length range of the zoom lens. Search to see what angle is covered by horizontal and vertical fields of view.

Find Youtube instructional videos like this - Search: 35 mm equivalent Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOe1ascjbJc
post #4 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Tennis View Post

This camera lists an especially long focal length of 600mm BUT I believe that it is an electronic feature and not of the lens itself.

Chas,

That is all optical zoom. There is digital zoom that electronically doubles it to 48x. There is also a Panasonic add on tele lens that goes further.

Bill
post #5 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
WOW!

Do I also understand correctly that it maintains the same lens speed throughout the zoom to 600 mm?
post #6 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First of all let me say thank you for responds.
I'm gonna try to explain what i'm looking for. I'm an investigator and use camcorders with 30x optical zoom. This days no employer wants to use photos. They all looking for a good quality video. The problem with camcorders is that they are big, bulky and LCD gives a lot of light if you are shooting at night. That being said it is compromising my position. What I was thinking if there is a such thing like monocular in size ( up to 14” length) so I can regulate the distance and quality of whatever i'm recording. If I pull out binocular and start recording in the middle of the day, I will also compromise myself. On the other hand, a 14” and not so bulky monocular type will do good.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Tennis View Post

WOW!

Do I also understand correctly that it maintains the same lens speed throughout the zoom to 600 mm?

Yes. That's what they say. Don't forget that the sensor remains fairly small. My wife has the earlier FZ150 version. It has the long optical zoom, but not the constant aperture.

The FZ200 also has some "higher speed" (above 60p) video modes that may have some interest for you Chas.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-17-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoXa View Post

First of all let me say thank you for responds.
I'm gonna try to explain what i'm looking for. I'm an investigator and use camcorders with 30x optical zoom. This days no employer wants to use photos. They all looking for a good quality video. The problem with camcorders is that they are big, bulky and LCD gives a lot of light if you are shooting at night. That being said it is compromising my position. What I was thinking if there is a such thing like monocular in size ( up to 14” length) so I can regulate the distance and quality of whatever i'm recording. If I pull out binocular and start recording in the middle of the day, I will also compromise myself. On the other hand, a 14” and not so bulky monocular type will do good.

Take a look at two cameras. The Panasonic FZ200 and Panasonic ZS30. Both are a lot smaller than a 14" telescope. Both take great video and have long zoom. But, they look like tourist cameras. Could you make yourself look like a tourist instead of spy with a spotting scope?
post #9 of 9 Old 12-18-2013, 03:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi TimoXa

I don't know of any one-piece solutions to your challenge, but one answer might be the combination of a phone and a monocular:

Carson HookUpz iPhone 4/4S/5/5S Adapter with Close Focus 7x18mm Monocular - $18.88

But this monocular is only 7x - and the iPhone screen might be too bright. Another solution might be a small interchangeable lens viewfinder camera body combined with a spotting scope and T Mount adapter, e.g.:

Sony NEX-6 camera body - $598

16" long Celestron Ultima 80 20 to 60x80 Straight Spotting Scope - $160

You would also need an $11 NEX to T mount adapter and a $13 Camera to T adapter.

There are smaller (and less expensive) interchangeable lens options, but none of them have viewfinders - which would necessitate the use of a telltale bright LCD screen.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page