post #1 of 11 Old 12-21-2013, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Looks like 2014 will be big for 4K !
Quote:
Sony head Phil Molyneux has dropped some pretty hefty hints that 2014 will be the year of 4K for Sony, with its line-up for CES going big on Ultra HD.

While last year saw plenty of Ultra HD TV sets shown off in Vegas, this year looks more likely to feature 4K camcorders, 4K smartphones and 4K laptops.

"We're [going] after the premium consumer out there," Molyneux told reporters at a briefing. "It's clear people will want to generate their own 4K content."

But he wouldn't be drawn on exactly what kinds of products Sony has up its sleeve, saying that all will be revealed at CES.

The year's biggest tech show kicks off in Las Vegas on January 6 2014, at which point all will become clear.
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/sony-hints-at-a-4k-heavy-ces-2014-1206042
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-21-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I get excited about CES every year! When Sony was said it was the year for 3D, I bought in. I got the TV, glasses and camcorder. I continue to buy 3D Blu-Rays when I think they may be good. I have a collection of about a dozen and bought the Polar Express and The Great Gatsby two weeks ago.

As cool as it is, 4K might not get me like 3D did.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-21-2013, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have two 30" 2560x1600 monitors ( dual-link DVI PC, Displayport Mac) and 4K videos look great on them IMHO.

click here to view 2560x1600 4K screen shot

A 4K UHD 3840x2160 or 1080p 16:9 video would fill the screen more than a 4096x2160 4K video on a 30" 16:10 2560x1600 monitor.

click here to view a 1080p video on it

post #4 of 11 Old 12-21-2013, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Ya, 2014 Is going to be the year of 4K for sure. While the impact in terms of consumer titles might not be that dramatic, the impact on the consumer/prosumer video camera market is going to be substantial in terms of visual quality improvements. Most non-professional cameras currently on the market will be obsolete within a year IMO.

The biggest obstacle for adoption is going to be the bottleneck presented by the speed of reasonably priced storage media however.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-21-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post

Ya, 2014 Is going to be the year of 4K for sure. ..... Most non-professional cameras currently on the market will be obsolete within a year IMO.

With due respect, bet you a dollar the're not!

I went to a Video Only store and studied the 4K TV on display. To run it, they had to have a special flash drive plugged into a USB port. They had it safety wired so nobody would steal it! I got real close and could see it was pretty sharp. But, next to it was a TV selling for a fraction of the price and, from 6 feet back, it looked just as good.

How much money would I need to budget in 2014 to upgrade my 55", 42", 32" and "22 inch HD TVs, replace the three four cameras I have and buy a cable or satellite service that delivers 4K?

Bill
post #6 of 11 Old 12-22-2013, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 64
That is not the point, especially when it comes to cameras. Any 4k camera is going to be visibly better than whatever is on the market today, even on 1080 displays.

You are also forgetting that what is in the stores right now is 2013 early adoption technology. 2014 will see a tsunami of products, ranging from TVs, monitors, camcorders, cameras to cell phones with 4k implemented. It will be mainstream by the end of 2014.

That is exactly what happened when 1080 replaced 720p, and the same arguments you make now were valid back then, but that did not stop 720p from being rapidly replaced in everything other than bargain basement TV sets. It took about a year for 1080 being available in only a few high end products until 720 was only available in a few low end products.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-22-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...... 2014 will see a tsunami of products, ranging from TVs, monitors, camcorders, cameras to cell phones with 4k implemented. It will be mainstream by the end of 2014.
So, you're taking my bet? It should be easy for you to win a dollar. I'll mail it, first class, on January 1, 2015 if most non-professional cameras currently on the market are be obsolete at that time. smile.gif

FWIW, my reason is the same as yours: the speed (and size) of storage media we have available at the non-professional level.

Bill
post #8 of 11 Old 12-24-2013, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Right now, you can get a top range HDMI 2.0 capable 2160 60p TV for a little under $3,000 with the name Sony on it. For something cheaper, you can get a set that can only handle up to 2160 30p such a 55" Seiki for $770 or the 39" model for $500. I'm assuming we could be seeing HDMI 2.0 capable sets from Sony and Samsung for under $2,000 in 2014. A lot of people already have a 4K capable box such as the PS4 to store videos on it. I believe it'll need a future firmware update though.

When it comes to consumer camcorders, Sony, Panasonic, JVC and Canon all have chips that are ready and I do wonder if they'll record up to 30p or go straight to 60p. They'll be other benefits besides just higher resolution such as better colors and the possibility of being 10 bit and 422. One of the things that have plagued some DSLR cameras are that it looks a bit on the soft side. With all DSLR's recording to 4k, they'll all look sharp. We'll just have to hope the bit rates and compression quality are good enough. Their might also be less side effects such as moire and aliasing if done right so they'll be another reason to choose a 4K capable big chip camera. We do have much faster memory cards now that will surely come done in price next year.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-25-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Ya, 2014 Is going to be the year of 4K for sure. While the impact in terms of consumer titles might not be that dramatic, the impact on the consumer/prosumer video camera market is going to be substantial in terms of visual quality improvements. Most non-professional cameras currently on the market will be obsolete within a year IMO.

The biggest obstacle for adoption is going to be the bottleneck presented by the speed of reasonably priced storage media however.

No way HD video recording will be obsolete a year from now.
I agree that pros and video enthusiasts will take advantage of being able to crop or down-res the 4K image down to HD in post, but I think mass adoption is going to take a lot longer than SD to HD was, if at all. Meaning "if at all" in that it's possible, on the larger scale, it may skip from HD past 4K to 8K or whatever the trend after 4K will be, with in the meantime HD video recording still for most people.

SD to HD was a time when camcorders, as a single product with fixed lenses, were the go-to video device. Now many have invested in DSLR or M43 systems with HD video. I doubt they all will suddenly ditch their HD systems. Aren't most of these new 4K devices 'camcorders' and not ILC systems, aren't camcorders out of vogue now?

Also, 4K as a delivery medium is not possible at this point/at least in the U.S. with slow internet speeds and broadcast systems only HD.
(Maybe somewhere like Japan.) 4K TV's may become affordable, but there isn't any content available.

Desktop sales have dropped dramatically. The average consumer is using a tablet or cell phone to consume video. Not only would they have to get a 4K device, but also buy a new desktop or upgrade hardware, if they still have one. Are the people who use cell phones for internet and as their main computing device going to shoot and upload 4K to view it on their tiny cell phone screen?

Also take into account the distance/visibility of 4K vs. HD with TV's - it may be a tough sell.
There are many factors/it will take quite some time. HD is not going obsolete anytime soon.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-26-2013, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There are still millions of 240p videos on youtube so 1080p will around for many more years. I watch many 4K youtube videos on my 30" 1600p monitors and they look better than 1080p.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-03-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

but I think mass adoption is going to take a lot longer than SD to HD was, if at all. Meaning "if at all" in that it's possible, on the larger scale, it may skip from HD past 4K to 8K or whatever the trend after 4K will be...
For example...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2533463/The-contact-lenses-away-TV-screens-System-projects-images-eyeball-unveiled-week.html

The future may not necessarily be in a neat order such as 4K>8K>16K TV's...
It may be common in the next decade to wear something that will project a virtual screen into our field of view..or there may be some other ideas...or still be TV's and newer concepts together. We don't know yet.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page