Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 thread - Page 101 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81Likes
post #3001 of 3012 Old 02-28-2015, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMG View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking for a compact case for my FDR-AX100, the only extras I need to carry are my spare FV70 batt. and Compact charger. Bag needs to have decent shock protection, and be water resistant. complete water proof is not required.

Has any one looked at this bag http://amzn.com/B005GMVR5O ? I saw on BH photo in the list of accessories for this Cam. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Serv
The camera, with large FV-100 battery and lens hood attached will take 10" in length. I use a Vivitar bag 6x6x10 with a 1 3/4 high x 6 x10 box in the bottom part for batteries, filters and camera LED light etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x6-x6-MED...item3380a3c4db

The dimensions above are inside, some bags are measured outside.

Eugene

Last edited by Eugene157; 02-28-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3002 of 3012 Old Yesterday, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Any thoughts if its eventual replacement will have a longer zoom,is there an i zoom in 4K mode on the AX100,my FZ1000 has but i would far prefer a camcorder.
post #3003 of 3012 Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post
Any thoughts if its eventual replacement will have a longer zoom,is there an i zoom in 4K mode on the AX100,my FZ1000 has but i would far prefer a camcorder.

Unlikely, I think, high PQ and resolution camcorders are typically 10 to 12 X zoom.

This is even more important for 4K to maintain resolution while keeping optical aberrations low over the zoom range. I read someplace that the the lens constitutes 80% of the AX100 weight.

The camera allows the zoom to be extended but at a loss of PQ.

Eugene

Last edited by Eugene157; Yesterday at 08:40 AM.
post #3004 of 3012 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
Unlikely, I think, high PQ and resolution camcorders are typically 10 to 12 X zoom.

This is even more important for 4K to maintain resolution while keeping optical aberrations low over the zoom range. I read someplace that the the lens constitutes 80% of the AX100 weight.

The camera allows the zoom to be extended but at a loss of PQ.

Eugene
For me thats a shame,my FZ1000 will go to 1184mm in i zoom,obviusly the picture does not have the resolution at that range compared to wide angle but it is still better than any 1920X1080P cam i have owned,it would be nice having the same option on a good camcorder,as i said i prefer using cams for video.
post #3005 of 3012 Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post
For me thats a shame,my FZ1000 will go to 1184mm in i zoom,obviusly the picture does not have the resolution at that range compared to wide angle but it is still better than any 1920X1080P cam i have owned,it would be nice having the same option on a good camcorder,as i said i prefer using cams for video.
Not sure what 1184 mm equates to on the AX100 but if 1920x1080 is all you want at that zoom level, I think the AX100 can do it. Obviously you have to use a tripod.

Eugene
post #3006 of 3012 Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Not sure what 1184 mm equates to on the AX100 but if 1920x1080 is all you want at that zoom level, I think the AX100 can do it. Obviously you have to use a tripod.

Eugene
Yes i always use a tripod for wildlife,http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/ha...specifications the AX100s extended zoom equals 522Mmm in 4K a lot less than the FZ1000.
post #3007 of 3012 Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would like some setup advice with the file situation.
What i am finding is that I shoot some footage and then put in on the computer which is say 0001 both on the memory card and the computer. I then delete the footage from the memory card to make room for and shoot some more footage. That also seems to have the SAME No 0001(1). This can be very annoying when I have very many brief shots on various dates and also put things out of sequence when editing unless I am very careful.

Is there not a way that the camera can just keep adding the next file No no matter what the memory card does until I tell it to stop / reset?.
post #3008 of 3012 Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwatt View Post
What i am finding is that I shoot some footage and then put in on the computer which is say 0001 both on the memory card and the computer. I then delete the footage from the memory card to make room for and shoot some more footage. That also seems to have the SAME No 0001(1). This can be very annoying when I have very many brief shots on various dates and also put things out of sequence when editing unless I am very careful.

Is there not a way that the camera can just keep adding the next file No no matter what the memory card does until I tell it to stop / reset?.
If you find one let me know.

I put these in different folders for editing. And different libraries in PD13

Eugene
post #3009 of 3012 Unread Today, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwatt View Post

Under Menu/Setup/File Number you have an option to make it a series and a reset option.

p. 128-129: https://docs.sony.com/release/FDR-AX...0_guide_en.pdf

You can also use the PlayMemories program to manage your memory card imports and it has several organization options.
post #3010 of 3012 Unread Today, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJInstitute View Post
Under Menu/Setup/File Number you have an option to make it a series and a reset option.

p. 128-129: https://docs.sony.com/release/FDR-AX...0_guide_en.pdf

You can also use the PlayMemories program to manage your memory card imports and it has several organization options.
Thanks for the input.

Must be doing something wrong, as usual.

Regardless of the setting , when inserting a new card it will start with 0001 not for example, 0395 (the last file) of the previous card

Eugene
post #3011 of 3012 Unread Today, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Thanks for the input.

Must be doing something wrong, as usual.

Regardless of the setting , when inserting a new card it will start with 0001 not for example, 0395 (the last file) of the previous card

Eugene

Exactly what I have found. It would seem that Sony could not come up with a sequential file No system {until cancelled by the user} no matter what memory card has been put in. I still do not understand the settings for File No "Series" & "Reset" and how they work. Being over 60 must be playing a part in all this lol.
post #3012 of 3012 Unread Today, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Spring chicken!
How about being over 82,

But that file system is a pain. On a typical vacation video I will have 3 or 4 64GB cards app 80% full of video. Before I realized the file number problem, I temporarily lost some video during editing because of the video files having the same file number. Here is what I do.

After a video card is filled, the write protect is turned on and the content is eventually stored on a HDD with individual names for each card.Then I edit the content of that card and when finished combine the typically 20 min segments to as long as 90 min.Since the editing, using PD13, is in 4K this speeds things up as well.

Eugene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page