Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 thread - Page 127 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 144Likes

Old 04-05-2017, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So how much of the filming was done with a GoPro? (I recognized the signature 'curved verticals' on many of the shots.) Which model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2017, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenMiddx View Post
So how much of the filming was done with a GoPro? (I recognized the signature 'curved verticals' on many of the shots.) Which model?
Quite a bit was done with it. Many are of the same scenes interspersed with the AX-100. If you use the "linear" setting, there is no distortion. I have the latest model - the Hero 5. The footage was shot at 2.7 K. Only complaint I had was that the sound on the GoPro is poor and really bad about allowing background audio drown out the primary source.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenderson2 View Post
I have the latest model - the Hero 5.
I'm thinking about getting this model, especially now that it has an accessory 'stabilizing' handle available. I bought, and still have, the original GoPro -- but it had too many limitations to really make much use of it -- but this model seems to be very much better.

The quality of the images was good, although it doesn't seem to handle low light so well.

The Rome/Pompeii trip (along with Herculaneum) is something that I intend taking sometime in the next few years. Did you organize the sight-seeing before you left home, or when you arrived?

Old 04-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The whole tour was a guided tour. I did very little on my own. Since our hotel was just down the block from the Coliseum, I did go there on my own before the whole group went the next day. If you don't go on a organized tour, be sure you go on line before you arrive and arrange for your tickets. Otherwise, there is a long line to purchase them, and I'm not sure that you can get the main floor entrance on site like you can with a prepurchased ticket.
Old Today, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I've had the AX100 now for about a year and a half and have a few questions and observations.

Has anyone had the camera power turn off while recording? I've run into this twice now where the battery failed and have two dead files. I contacted Sony but they weren't much help. They directed me to some restore software but that appeared to be for Sony SD cards as it asked me what the serial number and model of the Sony SD card I had. I'm using Lexar cards so I didn't know what to put in to download the software.

It's my understanding that restore software isn't going to fix this issue as the file has to be completely reparsed.

The other thing I'm trying to understand is the sensor. It's what's referred to as a 1"-type sensor (which of course is no where near 1" diagonally or otherwise, but it follows the same 1/4, 1/2 sensor size relation which those aren't really that big either. It's more like .65" diagonally or 16mm which is all fine. It captures great images and low light is pretty good.)

But what does it use for 4K? Sony states 14.2MP which would indicate a crop of some kind. I tested with a Large photo which is 5968x3352 which is 1.78 or 16x9 (and switching to 4:3 is only 15mp and there is a visual crop for 4:3 so it's indeed a 16x9 sensor) so the full sensor is 16x9 but confusingly that can't be if Sony states the sensor is 13.2x8.8mm which is 1.5 so it must crop for photos some too? In order to be a 16x9 sensor you would need 16mm wide but it's not, so it appears it's a 3:2 sensor really, but it doesn't use that portion for video or photos in this camera, it would be cropped out altogether top and bottom some (maybe it does use full 3:2 in RX cameras, IDK).

For 4K and I've switched between photo and video I don't see a visual crop of any kind in the image so maybe it's cropping with processing, downsampling the image to 14.2MP? Of course it has to downsample the image somehow to record into 8.3mp frame for 4K but it doesn't appear to change the field of view or portion of sensor to do that, which is nice. If it is just downsampling, I'm glad that's the case so the full sensor is still used or at least the 16x9 portion of sensor is used.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement