Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
First ... 44  45  46 47  48  ... Last
Camcorders > Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 thread
bsprague's Avatar bsprague 06:12 AM 04-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

.... If you could pull a single frame from that video, the result would have resolution plenty high enough for making 8X10 prints, or even for producing magazine covers.....
I have a favorite 8x10 framed and hung on my office wall of a granddaughter trying her hardest to hit a home run. The softball is about 3" from her bat. It is a single frame from a 1920x1080 60p compressed AVCHD video clip. No, it is not crystal clear from 12". But, from a normal viewing distance, I love it.

Lightroom, a favorite still photographer's tool, makes it very easy and very fast to select those "perfect shots". It has a preview function for video. At any point you can press a single button and it will produce a usable .jpg and place it in the Library view next to the video clip. A couple clicks and you can e-mail the photo to friends and family. In fact, Lightroom makes a better tool for previewing and organizing clips from a shoot than my NLE.

4K will only make it better. Unless the goal is 30"x40" prints, single frames from 4K will be very useful. (It may even justify my purchase of a GH4, or GH5, if it does 60p!)

ON EDIT:

After posting I started wondering what Lightroom does with 4K. I have a short clip from Ken Ross with some ducks in it. Lightroom 5.3 manages it nicely. Enlarged preview is smooth. Pressing the "F" key provides full screen pixel peeping. It provides some basic adjustments for Temperature, Tint, Exposure, Contrast, Whites, Blacks and Vibrance. The frame grab produced a 3500KB .jpg with a lot of detail.

Don't know why, but Lightroom is already prepared for Sony's version of 4K!

RobAC's Avatar RobAC 04:53 AM 04-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chiu View Post

hi rob,
[............]
So I bought the RRS fluid head and after a week plus, it matches well with the AX100. it does not have the rock solid hold as my Sachtler heads, but those are heavier and cost double what the RRS does.

Although the AX100 is small, it is quite heavy and when mated with the XLR-K1M or other attachments, you begin to really want a more solid fluid head.

I have tried many video heads in the past, the Sachtlers have worked really well for my PWM-EX3 XDCAMs and DSLR rigs and maybe overkill for the AX100.
I also have used the Sachtler Ace line tripod+fluid head setups and i would recommend that you look into this as an alternative to the RRS.
They are smoother with pans and tilts than many of the $300 to $1000 setups out there, across many makes.

cheers,

This is one of the Sachtler ACE in my tool kit. I use this with the GH3 mainly.
http://*******/VymUiU

Thanks William, looks really good I'll check it out.

Rob
RobAC's Avatar RobAC 06:19 AM 04-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrauss View Post

If you're looking for a lightweight stabilizer for walking shots with the AX100, I recommend the XCAM Sabre:

http://theawesomer.com/xcam-sabre-video-stabilizer/272845/

This little thing is great for stabilizing shots, and is easy to travel with and set up. Like most stabilizers it takes a bit of practice to balance, but in the end, you'll get much smoother walking shots with this than with any optical image stabilization on the market.

That all said, I have to agree that the OIS on the AX100 is sub-par compared to other prosumer camcorders, but the image quality far outweighs that con.

Very nice- I am definitely looking into getting something like this for travel.
Thanks for the heads up.
peteypab2133's Avatar peteypab2133 02:39 PM 04-18-2014
So after 1400 replys I have to ask. Should I buy this camera or save some money and get the cx900 or G30. The 4k for future proofing sounds nice but there are soo many pwople conplaining about judder and file size and blown out accents with skys etc.

I plan on getting video of my 1 year old son running around the yard and house. Thats about it..

Oh and I already spruced up the old mb pro by adding 16 gigs of ram and a 1 tb SSD so its about as fast as it will get. So 4k work flow wont be bad on my FCPX I am guessing. Just need to add my internal BD drive and I can start burning blurays of memories.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 02:52 PM 04-18-2014
Guys complaining about blown out 'accents'- One. He no longer posts here. Reread those and you'll see it was one guy, a non-owner, who constantly complained about that. I'm not aware of any owners complaining about blown highlights.

File sizes- Again, one or two non-owners. Files sizes are exactly 2X that of a typical HD camcorder. If you're not happy with the prospect of getting 4X the resolution for 2X the file size, stop reading here, you've answered your question.

Judder- 30p will limit the smoothness of rapid motion. Engaging a frame doubler on most modern displays, will come close to eliminating it.

IMO, I would no longer get anything HD. The future is 4K and I don't see the wisdom in further entrenching myself in to HD. But that's me.
William Chiu's Avatar William Chiu 03:18 PM 04-18-2014
Finally, my Sony battery arrived today. Only took 18 days.
Bought it as "Used-like new" from Amazon 3rd party and it was un-opened.

http://*******/cLystf

Loved the fact that it was made in Japan.

The AX100 does eat battery fast and this should give me 3+ hours with continuous flip-out screen use.

Over the next month, I will experiment with the Steadicam Merlin 2 in the theater.

spyker1212's Avatar spyker1212 06:44 PM 04-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post

So after 1400 replys I have to ask. Should I buy this camera or save some money and get the cx900 or G30. The 4k for future proofing sounds nice but there are soo many pwople conplaining about judder and file size and blown out accents with skys etc.

I plan on getting video of my 1 year old son running around the yard and house. Thats about it..

if you are going to get the canon g30, get the sony pj790 instead. it has the best camcorder stabilization.. and you can run with your kid while taking
video no need to buy stabilization gudgets.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909736-REG/sony_hdr_pj790v_b_96gb_hdr_pj790_hd_handycam.html/prm/alsVwDtl
spyker1212's Avatar spyker1212 07:00 PM 04-18-2014
I download the sony ax100 manual.

the manual says memory up to 64g. can I use 128g memory card?

also, I have the sony cx760. and it allows to attach wide angle lens or telephoto conversion lens.

does the sony ax100 have same menu to select when wide angle lens is attached?

has anyone use wide angle lens on sony ax100?

thanks in advance
peteypab2133's Avatar peteypab2133 07:15 PM 04-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

Quote:

if you are going to get the canon g30, get the sony pj790 instead. it has the best camcorder stabilization.. and you can run with your kid while taking
video no need to buy stabilization gudgets.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909736-REG/sony_hdr_pj790v_b_96gb_hdr_pj790_hd_handycam.html/prm/alsVwDtl

Seems like a really nice camera but I can get the ax100 for $20.00 less. (Family member best buy) I dont think he can even get this for me now since islts an older model? The cx900 is like a grand as well as the g30 if not less. But really wanted 4k. Guess I will see how it pans out over a few more weeks of consumer ownership. I bought my nikon D600 the day of launch and still fighting nikon over shutter replacements and pow the d610 arrives lol.

spyker1212's Avatar spyker1212 07:50 PM 04-18-2014
Quote:

But really wanted 4k. Guess I will see how it pans out over a few more weeks of consumer ownership. I bought my nikon D600 the day of launch and still fighting nikon over shutter replacements and pow the d610 arrives lol.

if 4k is what you want then sony ax100 is the way to go. I ask mark the otherday how the stabilization of ax100 is compare with sony gw77. he said
it's about the same.

I am very satistified with my sony gw77. problem when taking video with sony gw77 you need to concentrate. if your kid is doing crazy and funny things
while you are taking their video. you need to concentrate or the video will shake if you laugh while taking video. unlike the sony with boss system.
you can laugh and shake you body while laughing and taking video. video will come out smooth.

as for Nikon dslr. I have Nikon d300s. and ever since I got the sony rx100. the Nikon stays home 99% of the time. only brought the sony cx760, sony gw77
and rx100 to recent trip.

note: I don't have the ax100 yet. but may get either ax100 or sony a7s.
SD90's Avatar SD90 09:27 PM 04-18-2014
Quote:

I can get the ax100 for $20.00 less. (Family member best buy)
Best Buy will also let you return the AX100 for a full refund if you decide it's not the ideal camera for you. That's what I did - I returned it because I'm an outdoor landscape shooter and did not care for the "camera is wearing sunglasses" colors of the AX100's video, its "looking through a little pin hole" viewfinder or the mediocre image stabilization compared to my Olympus OMD E-M5 (which has 5-axis stabilization). But I was impressed with the detail of the AX100's 4K footage so I have my sights now on the Panasonic GH4 - but I will rent one first for about $90 here http://www.borrowlenses.com/category/panasonic-video before deciding whether to purchase.
peteypab2133's Avatar peteypab2133 09:41 PM 04-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD90 View Post

Quote:

I can get the ax100 for $20.00 less. (Family member best buy)
Best Buy will also let you return the AX100 for a full refund if you decide it's not the ideal camera for you. That's what I did - I returned it because I'm an outdoor landscape shooter and did not care for the "camera is wearing sunglasses" colors of the AX100's video, its "looking through a little pin hole" viewfinder or the mediocre image stabilization compared to my Olympus OMD E-M5 (which has 5-axis stabilization). But I was impressed with the detail of the AX100's 4K footage so I have my sights now on the Panasonic GH4 - but I will rent one first for about $90 here http://www.borrowlenses.com/category/panasonic-video before deciding whether to purchase.

Good info thanks. The premise of my wife letting me pull the trigger on this is due to the fact that she refuses to use my dslr for filming right now due to the weight and size. I was hoping for the smaller size and weight of the ax100 to feel more family handy cam than the semi prosumer dslr like feel of the gh4. Not to mention I already have 8-10k in glass for nikon I refuse to start a new collection for another company.

Im thinking mid may if cannon doesnt announce something I will pull the trigger.
ricksastro's Avatar ricksastro 09:49 PM 04-18-2014
Quote:

Good info thanks. The premise of my wife letting me pull the trigger on this is due to the fact that she refuses to use my dslr for filming right now due to the weight and size. I was hoping for the smaller size and weight of the ax100 to feel more family handy cam than the semi prosumer dslr like feel of the gh4. Not to mention I already have 8-10k in glass for nikon I refuse to start a new collection for another company.

Im thinking mid may if cannon doesnt announce something I will pull the trigger.

Just a quick comment...The AX100 does not have a small family handy cam feel...it's a hefty beast in comparison to most camcorders.

The GH4 + 14-140 5.6 would probably be lighter, although would not have power zoom or built-in ND filters.

You can certainly use your Nikon glass on m43, although without stabilization.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 09:59 PM 04-18-2014
Quote:

Best Buy will also let you return the AX100 for a full refund if you decide it's not the ideal camera for you. That's what I did - I returned it because I'm an outdoor landscape shooter and did not care for the "camera is wearing sunglasses" colors of the AX100's video, its "looking through a little pin hole" viewfinder or the mediocre image stabilization compared to my Olympus OMD E-M5 (which has 5-axis stabilization).

Of course this is nonsense, but you keep repeating it. There are tons of AX100 videos out there and none look like they were taken through your orange brown sunglasses. The colors are very accurate. You didn't like it, but it's no reason to keep repeating something that just makes you look silly.

Now the new kick is a 'pin hole' viewfinder? C'mom SD90, isn't this getting a bit absurd? Move into threads of cameras you're interested in, but don't remain here spreading nonsense. All you're doing is lowering the S/N ratio.
SD90's Avatar SD90 11:14 PM 04-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

The colors are very accurate.
Ken, here is a recent, thorough and objective review of the AX100: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5e-GphXgkk The review was shot with a $7,500 Sony FS700 and its colors look accurate including sky colors. But the sky colors in the sample AX100 footage shown in the review are purplish-blue. As a landscape shooter, I could not live with such a deficiency. Non-landscape shooters or those who are not picky about outdoor color may find the AX100 perfectly acceptable, however.
flintyplus's Avatar flintyplus 12:45 AM 04-19-2014
Not with you realy on this SD90 if the review was filmed with a $7,500 Sony FS700 i found that footage colour bland and prefered the AX100.But like i have said Canon SLR colour is my personal taste.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 06:15 AM 04-19-2014
@SD90-There are numerous clips shot with the AX100 that don't show skies with a purplish cast as in their review. I'm away from my computer now, but I'll post a couple of my own later. Proper color is all about proper white balancing and proper exposure. If you looked at their sample footage, there was a red bias throughout, not just the sky (at least as I'm seeing it on an IPad mini). The camera was not properly white balanced. So I would not hold up that review's edited footage as indicative of the color quality of the AX100. As a side note, Panasonic camcorders were often the target of complaints regarding a reddish hue in skies.

However I'm confused, your prior complaint, repeated endlessly, was that the AX100 looked as if it were shooting through tan brown sunglasses. That wouldn't produce purple skies, but now you're complaining about too much red in the sky. This seems to be the infamous 'moving target' to me. wink.gif

Your latest complaint is a tiny VF that the review you held up as 'objective', said was 'rather large'. Interesting. Additionally, nowhere in that review did I hear them complain about color accuracy. Did I miss it?

Look SD90, the camera didn't meet your needs and that's fine, but you seem to have a daily need to keep justifying why you returned it. The reasons you give, which appear to change, just make no sense to people who own the camera and know how to shoot with it. Those folks have not seen the issues you have.

BTW, you don't need to be a landscape photographer to be bothered by inaccurate colors, whether they occur in the rendition of skies or anything else. We've all had instances of color that was off the mark with every camera, including the AX100. However they're largely avoidable and, if they occur, can be edited out in post. No biggie.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 07:55 AM 04-19-2014
Here's just one of many clips on YouTube that show perfectly natural skies without the tint seen in the review. It also happens to be quite indicative of how the AX100 registers sky color. I'm trying to upload one of mine that shows precisely the same thing, but I'm currently having issues with Vimeo. If you're seeing this as purplish, there is unquestionably something wrong with your monitor (as some of us have suspected for quite some time). As a point of information, I just looked at that review again on my calibrated 4K Dell monitor (known for its color accuracy), and their clips were hideous, absolutely hideous. The camera was so obviously improperly white balanced, you'd have to be nearly blind to not see it. The snow is tinted red, subjects are tinted red and the sky is tinted red. This is not indicative of the AX100 performance, not even close. To be honest, it's not the first time I've seen some really poor videos within their reviews.

Here's another point SD90, are you aware that sometimes the sky does have some red in the blue? Skies are not always perfectly blue. In fact, quite often, there can easily be seen somewhat of a reddish cast to the blue of the sky. Just this morning I saw exactly that and yes, I thought about you. Much depends on sky conditions and what part of the sky you are pointing your camera towards.

Philip_L's Avatar Philip_L 08:51 AM 04-19-2014
Hi
Quote:

Ken, here is a recent, thorough and objective review of the AX100: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5e-GphXgkk The review was shot with a $7,500 Sony FS700 and its colors look accurate including sky colors. But the sky colors in the sample AX100 footage shown in the review are purplish-blue. As a landscape shooter, I could not live with such a deficiency. Non-landscape shooters or those who are not picky about outdoor color may find the AX100 perfectly acceptable, however.

It will most likely be because of super whites and by chance how the camera decides to expose the scene. This is very common with lots of camcorders not just the Sony. The Panasonc 3MOS cameras had a similar issue with sky with it being captured as what many referred to as Bondi Blue.

Typically video should only be from RGB 16 to 235, the Sony in line with most cameras will capture black at RGB 16, but will go all the way up to 255, rather than stop at 235. This means the camera can capture a bright blue sky with blue at values above 235, when played back on the majority of TVs and PCs the Blue channel is clipped at 235, which then means the balance is shifted towards red or green, whatever those other values were captured at, causing a color cast.

In Sony Vegas you can correct for this, by mapping values above 235 back into the correct video range, this very often brings in cloud detail and blue sky that is otherwise lost, and other bright areas of the scene can have more detail brought into view this way.

Some people may not see the same color shift depending on how they are playing it back and how their software deals with these out of range values, and it is very scene dependent.

It will be too late to try and correct the YouTube footage or the original output if available, because these have now lost the extra color information above RGB values of 235, so it really needs to be done on the time-line in a good editor that lets you do this.

Panasonic on the GH4 have solved these issues by having 3 RGB modes available, so you can select traditional RGB 16-235 (a strict mode so no values above 235 so bright areas shouldn't later get a color cast due to clipping), plus 16-255 (to behave like most camcorders tend to do) or full range RGB 0-255. This full range is exciting as the camera will capture much more picture information allowing more creativity and tweaking in post, but it may not look that good viewed in it's native form as it is really designed for post edit work and grading.

Regards

Phil
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 09:07 AM 04-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L View Post

Hi
It will most likely be because of super whites and by chance how the camera decides to expose the scene. This is very common with lots of camcorders not just the Sony. The Panasonc 3MOS cameras had a similar issue with sky with it being captured as what many referred to as Bondi Blue.

No, it was almost certainly because the camera was very poorly white balanced in addition to being poorly exposed. Anyone can see the pink snow, pink trees and purple skies cry out of a poorly white balanced and exposed setting. Nothing to do with the range of RGB. The video I posted above was very indicative of the typical sky colors recorded by the AX100 and looked absolutely nothing like the review video.

White balance pure & simple.
SD90's Avatar SD90 09:33 AM 04-19-2014
Quote:

If you're seeing this as purplish, there is unquestionably something wrong with your monitor (as some of us have suspected for quite some time). Here's another point SD90, are you aware that sometimes the sky does have some red in the blue? Skies are not always perfectly blue.
Ken, I have the latest retina Macbook Pro and retina iPad Air. Both have excellent color accuracy. For example, this brief clip taken with a Canon Rebel T3i back in 2011 has very good color accuracy: a very white waterfall, the correct hue of rich blue sky, the correct hue of green vegetation and the correct light grey hue of the granite rock: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1Nez_pIlw If I had shot that same scene with an AX100 in standard shooting mode the colors would look duller than real life and there would be a slight, but noticeable orange-brown cast to the whole image. If I then switched to Cinematone mode the foliage would look much more naturally green and the orange-brown problem would vanish, but then the sky would turn that unnatural looking hue of purplish-blue. So I couldn't win either way with the AX100. As Phil mentioned, someone skilled in color correction could likely fix these issues in post, but I want a camera more like the T3i that gets it right or very close to right straight out of the camera.
peteypab2133's Avatar peteypab2133 09:43 AM 04-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksastro View Post

Just a quick comment...The AX100 does not have a small family handy cam feel...it's a hefty beast in comparison to most camcorders.

The GH4 + 14-140 5.6 would probably be lighter, although would not have power zoom or built-in ND filters.

You can certainly use your Nikon glass on m43, although without stabilization.

Never thought of it that way.

Size wise the G30 is only 7 inches long by like 3.5 inches wide.
The pj790 is pretty small really at 5.5 inches long and about 3.5 inches wide.

The AX100 I am having a hard time finding real dimensions. Anyone have lengths and width with and without the lens hood?

I know this seems silly, but my wife has little lady hands and will be important for her to be able to handle the camcorder and zoom with one hand comfortably. Thanks!

And you really suggest the PJ790 over the newer larger sensor CX900 or even the 20x optical G30 ?
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 09:45 AM 04-19-2014
SD90, honestly, truly, there is no orange-brown cast. There just isn't. And it certainly wouldn't create purple skies it there were. Two mutually incompatible theories. Your complaints are all over the place: Purple skies, desaturated colors and a 'noticeable orange-brown cast'. Which is it?. It absolutely amazes me how you discount the fact that no other owner sees it, there is video after video like the one I just posted that absolutely, positively shows that is NOT the case, but yet you go on about it.

Look, I have no idea what you did or didn't do with YOUR AX100, but we are not experiencing orange-brown videos and videos have been furnished to you that absolutely prove it. Yet you ignore video after video that shows you're wrong. There are only so many times I can knock my head against the wall with this. You see what you want, ignore the videos that address and disprove your observations and continue to insist what you're seeing is typical. You know the old saying "You can lead a horse to water". We can only go so far. We have proved your case and you simply haven't come close. Showing one horribly shot video to 'prove' your case doesn't do it my friend.

So you are faced with this dilemma, either we're all crazy and can't see the forest for the trees (many of us being very experienced with video and some doing it professionally) or you have either incorrectly used your late AX100 or simply see something that isn't there.

Then you go on about a tiny VF that the very review you value says is 'rather large'. Of course you ignored that too.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 10:02 AM 04-19-2014
Quote:

The AX100 I am having a hard time finding real dimensions. Anyone have lengths and width with and without the lens hood?

Just measured mine:

With the lens hood attached: LxWxH- 8 3/4 x 3 1/8 x 3 1/4

Without the lens hood: LxWxH- 7 5/8 x 3 1/8 x 3 1/4
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 10:05 AM 04-19-2014
For SD90-This was the 3rd clip I ever shot with the AX100. Purple skies? Hardly. But this won't dissuade SD90, you can bet on that. Native 4K clip, no editing, can be downloaded. Colors were as I saw them. Nothing atypical here, just normal AX100 footage:

Eugene157's Avatar Eugene157 10:45 AM 04-19-2014
Ken, I looked at the videos you had posted,Great camera handling. Especially on the gondola starting on the accordion. What camera?

Gene
ricksastro's Avatar ricksastro 11:01 AM 04-19-2014
Quote:

For SD90-This was the 3rd clip I ever shot with the AX100. Purple skies? Hardly. But this won't dissuade SD90, you can bet on that. Native 4K clip, no editing, can be downloaded. Colors were as I saw them. Nothing atypical here, just normal AX100 footage:

I think SD90 enjoys pushing your buttons...for every one of his post, you post 2 or 3 to refute. Heck, you even admit that when you look at a reddish beautiful sky, you think of him smile.gif I can picture you sitting with your partner enjoying a romantic sunset and then all of the sudden you jump up..."I have to make a quick post honey..."

I think at this point, there are plenty of wonderful examples from and review of this camera so that when there is one dissenting opinion it will be discounted by even a newbie coming here.
Eugene157's Avatar Eugene157 11:45 AM 04-19-2014
Well said Rick.Plenty of material around now.
Eugene
peteypab2133's Avatar peteypab2133 11:53 AM 04-19-2014
Quote:

Quote:

Just measured mine:

With the lens hood attached: LxWxH- 8 3/4 x 3 1/8 x 3 1/4

Without the lens hood: LxWxH- 7 5/8 x 3 1/8 x 3 1/4

Thanks! !! Not a smalll pocket sized handy cam but deff not huge in regards to the prosumer sized ones

yalag's Avatar yalag 11:56 AM 04-19-2014
Hey guys, I'll be going on a trip in about a month's time and I'm planning to get the AX100 for this. But I'm totally unprepared! Here are a few things I need help with

1) What batteries should I get? I plan to shoot a lot of footage each day. I should probably have 3-4?
2) What charger should I get? Is there a charger that charges multiple batteries at the same time? If so, is it dual voltage? I'll be in Europe.
3) What memory cards should I get? Again I'm shooting all day, many hours a day. How many cards do I need?
4) Does anyone know of a fast card reader (ideally multi card) so I can unload all the footage at the end of the day to an external drive?
5) Any of accessories I did not think of?

Thank you!!!!
First ... 44  45  46 47  48  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop