Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 thread - Page 49 - AVS Forum
First ... 47  48  49 50  51  ... Last
Camcorders > Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 thread
TomWheeler's Avatar TomWheeler 12:22 PM 04-22-2014
Ken,

Thanks for responding to my message regarding monitors.

Yes, the Mac Pro will display in 4K if hooked up via Display Port on the monitor to Thunderbolt port on the Mac Pro so the 30 Hz refresh rate over HDMI 1.4 is not something I am concerned about since I'l be using the Display Port to Thunderbolt connection. I appreciate your thought on the improvement that a 4K monitor makes in your viewing/editing experience. In the next update to OS X Apple is including pixel doubling of interface text elements which is what they have done with Retina displays to avoid having text so small as to be virtually unreadable. I am trying to hold out on purchasing a 4K display until that update to the OS comes out in the next few weeks. Otherwise, I shall have to be constantly switching to lower resolutions just to be able to read the interface text on screen and then switch back to 4K for viewing my 4K footage during editing. This would be a hassle, but I am so eager to see my 4K footage at full resolution that I may just go ahead and buy either the Asus or Sharp 4K monitors. Both are IGZO technology which is the finest display technology currently available for 4K monitors and both have an antiglare finish which I very much desire. My hope was that Apple would release a 4K monitor to accompany the new Mac Pro which is clearly targeted at 4K editors, but there is no sign of that being the case. I am presently using a 28 in. Thunderbolt display identical to those you saw on the iMac's in the Apple store and were impressed with. It is a nice monitor, but of course it is not 4K, and I hate the high reflection screen with a passion. On my old Mac Pro which I still use, I have an Apple 32 in. Cinema Display which is terrific, but unfortunately is not 4K either. One downside to the Asus and Sharp 4K monitors is that whereas they do have speakers in the display, they do not include USB ports or extra Thunderbolt ports which my Apple thunderbolt display that I am currently using does have. However, I have six thunderbolt ports and four USB 3 ports on the Mac Pro itself so ports are not a deal breaking issue. I am close to buying one or the other of these displays, but I am sure as soon as I do, a better display will become available, and these 4K displays are not cheap by any means.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Tom

bsprague's Avatar bsprague 12:27 PM 04-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by yalag View Post

Does anyone know what kind of straps will work with the AX100? I can't seem to make it out just from screen shots. It doesn't come with any right?
Camcorder straps tend to be limited. I've put a "D-Ring" or snap hook (not sure what to call it) on my belt to hang the camcorder from the wrist strap if I need two hands.

The other choice is one of the sliding straps or slings attached to the tripod socket. My favorite sling now is from Optech:

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Utility-Strap/dp/B003T0EYVE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398190242&sr=1-1&keywords=optech+camera+strap

Camera attachment might be this one:
http://www.amazon.com/BlackRapid-RFH-3SB-Black-Rapid-FastenR-3/dp/B003LA595M/ref=sr_1_10?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1398190558&sr=1-10&keywords=tripod+socket+connection
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 12:30 PM 04-22-2014
Tom, one thing I'm trying to do is separate the market speak from reality. As an example, the Dell is touted to show virtually all the colors present in the 4K signal. The Samsung is not, yet one review seemed to feel that the colors were almost indistinguishable. Unless you see these things side by side, it's very tough to know for sure.
yalag's Avatar yalag 01:27 PM 04-22-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

Camcorder straps tend to be limited. I've put a "D-Ring" or snap hook (not sure what to call it) on my belt to hang the camcorder from the wrist strap if I need two hands.

The other choice is one of the sliding straps or slings attached to the tripod socket. My favorite sling now is from Optech:

http://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-Utility-Strap/dp/B003T0EYVE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398190242&sr=1-1&keywords=optech+camera+strap

Camera attachment might be this one:
http://www.amazon.com/BlackRapid-RFH-3SB-Black-Rapid-FastenR-3/dp/B003LA595M/ref=sr_1_10?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1398190558&sr=1-10&keywords=tripod+socket+connection

Thank you! But I guess what I wanted to clarify is, what kind of straps will work with AX100? I don't have one in front of me and it's hard to tell from screenshots. Does it have the same tripod mount as a DSLR? And does it have the same side rings on each side of the camera like a DSLR?
TomWheeler's Avatar TomWheeler 01:40 PM 04-22-2014
Ken,

Yes, separating marketing hype from reality is always a concern, and that is one of the reasons why I was curious how you had chosen the Dell as your 4K monitor. Unfortunately, in my area trying to see any of these 4K monitors is close to impossible. BestBuy of course has a selection of 4K TV's, but 4K monitors are not to be seen as far as I know.

Tom
spyker1212's Avatar spyker1212 03:42 PM 04-22-2014
Quote:

Does anyone know what kind of straps will work with the AX100? I can't seem to make it out just from screen shots. It doesn't come with any right?

all other strap I bought were big n bulky.... try shoulder strap below. nice n comfy

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BLTHSB-Shoulder-Belt-Camcorders/dp/B000ECB4EK/ref=sr_1_28?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398202822&sr=1-28&keywords=sony+strap
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 05:52 PM 04-22-2014
Here's a 3 1/2 minute video shot at the Bronx Zoo. You'll see butterflies, peacocks, deer, people gaping at the sights and some nice scenery. The original video is downloadable and was not color corrected in any way. I'm uploading a YouTube version which should be sharper for those that don't wish to download this video.

I'd love for everyone to see what it looks like on a 4K display, but such is life. smile.gif

Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 06:51 PM 04-22-2014
Here's the YouTube version. Select 4K.

peteypab2133's Avatar peteypab2133 08:45 PM 04-22-2014
I just hate the fact that streaming this stuff on youtube over heats my mac book pro every time. I cannot upgrade the graphics card but did a 1 TB ssd and 16 gigs ram in prep for the ax100. But it murders my computer with every view.

Also I run 110 mbps download speed so I dunno

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
flintyplus's Avatar flintyplus 12:31 AM 04-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Here's a 3 1/2 minute video shot at the Bronx Zoo. You'll see butterflies, peacocks, deer, people gaping at the sights and some nice scenery. The original video is downloadable and was not color corrected in any way. I'm uploading a YouTube version which should be sharper for those that don't wish to download this video.

I'd love for everyone to see what it looks like on a 4K display, but such is life. smile.gif

Ken all i can watch is the HD .MP4 file (1920x1080 / 120MB) version dowloaded the origional will not play on my new pc or laptop.Even that looks very sharp though.Chris
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 05:44 AM 04-23-2014
Chris, what happens when you play it? Does it stutter or just freeze?

Edit: Chris I'm wondering if your computer utilizes onboard video or a separate video card. I say that because a friend and I were trying to figure out why his new HP, with a faster processor and 7200 rpm drive, was encoding videos 4x slower than my computer using the same editing program! Further confusing the issue, is my Toshiba all-in-one computer not only has a slower processor, but utilizes a 5400 RPM drive vs my friend's 7200 RPM drive.

So why is there such a radical difference? We think we got the answer on a forum connected with the program we both use, Edius 7.

My Toshiba all-in-one computer, even though having a separate NVidea video card, still utilizes the Intel onboard video and its "Quicksynch" feature. This feature is advertised to do faster video encoding. It seems to work well. I don't know if it has any role in video playback. His faster HP, with the separate NVidea card, cannot access the onboard Intel video, even though it is on his processor chip. It seems HP has locked it out.

I'm looking for a new computer, but this aspect of performance (encoding & playback) has me concerned. Apparently it isn't just about faster processors. What's more disturbing, is that even if you know the processor your computer is using has onboard video and the associated Quicksynch, there's no guarantee you can access it. My Toshiba does, HP does not.
jogiba's Avatar jogiba 05:55 AM 04-23-2014
RobAC's Avatar RobAC 08:28 AM 04-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ispymedia View Post

For my AX100, and after much deliberation, I went with the Benro S6 aluminum sticks and fluid head kit ($300), with the sony clip on remote control.  http://store.sony.com/remote-control-with-multi-terminal-cable-zid27-RMVPR1/cat-27-catid-All-Cameras-Alpha-DSLR-Accessories?_t=pfm%3Dsearch  I'm shooting soccer which won't cut it on a wide shot without zooming.  B&H has the remote for about $10 cheaper.  Using the camera zoom toggle on sticks won't cut it.  So far, very pleased with both units.  The S6 tripod is a bit overkill for this light camera, but you can set the counter balance to zero for very fluid pans and tilts with no snap back.  I find now that I could use a nice 7" HD monitor when shooting from a press box roof for 2 hours straight.

Thanks ! I am looking to get two fluid head / tripod setups shortly.

The Benro S6 / S8 heads just made my short list for one of the setups.

I am also seriously considering:
1. RRS- Really Right Stuff series 2 & 3 carbon fiber tripods and the quick release TA2 or 3 leveling base as well as the FH-350 fluid head or
2. Sachtler Ace L or FSB 6 fluid heads with an
3. Induro carbon fiber CT014 or CT113 tripod.

(I decided against the Manfrotto setups since after having a critical look they didn't really do it for me.)

Next month in May there is one of the largest Video / Photo shows in my area and all the manufacturers will have some representative / sales person there. So I will wait to do a touch and feel for the expensive equipment before making the final decisions on the combos that will work best with each other. I will try to swing some discount deals for these items at the show. Until then I hope to at least be playing with my X Series Monocam CF Pro (combo monopod / hand held stabilize with feet I just ordered,) and the AX100 and my older PJ710.
spyker1212's Avatar spyker1212 08:31 AM 04-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

Tiger Direct has the 256GB UHS-1 U1 SDXC card for $99.99 AR .

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8967120&srkey=KNY-1023879

can you use a 256gb in ax100. sony manual says max is 64g.

thanks in advance
flintyplus's Avatar flintyplus 09:17 AM 04-23-2014
Quote:

Chris, what happens when you play it? Does it stutter or just freeze?

Edit: Chris I'm wondering if your computer utilizes onboard video or a separate video card. I say that because a friend and I were trying to figure out why his new HP, with a faster processor and 7200 rpm drive, was encoding videos 4x slower than my computer using the same editing program! Further confusing the issue, is my Toshiba all-in-one computer not only has a slower processor, but utilizes a 5400 RPM drive vs my friend's 7200 RPM drive.

So why is there such a radical difference? We think we got the answer on a forum connected with the program we both use, Edius 7.

My Toshiba all-in-one computer, even though having a separate NVidea video card, still utilizes the Intel onboard video and its "Quicksynch" feature. This feature is advertised to do faster video encoding. It seems to work well. I don't know if it has any role in video playback. His faster HP, with the separate NVidea card, cannot access the onboard Intel video, even though it is on his processor chip. It seems HP has locked it out.

I'm looking for a new computer, but this aspect of performance (encoding & playback) has me concerned. Apparently it isn't just about faster processors. What's more disturbing, is that even if you know the processor your computer is using has onboard video and the associated Quicksynch, there's no guarantee you can access it. My Toshiba does, HP does not.

No Ken it just wont play on my new hand made PC or my Toshiba laptop,no 4K origionals will,my PC is pretty fast for HD editing now,rendering burning making fing files etc.
The origional downloads that wont play after taking the full time to download but the download box looks different and if i play there is sound but just the box with a music note in the top left corner confused.gif
markr041's Avatar markr041 09:30 AM 04-23-2014
Quote:

Thank you! But I guess what I wanted to clarify is, what kind of straps will work with AX100? I don't have one in front of me and it's hard to tell from screenshots. Does it have the same tripod mount as a DSLR? And does it have the same side rings on each side of the camera like a DSLR?

1. Same tripod mount as a DSLR.

2. There is one metal loop for a shoulder strap behind the hand strap.
jogiba's Avatar jogiba 10:14 AM 04-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

can you use a 256gb in ax100. sony manual says max is 64g.

thanks in advance
That is hard to believe Sony has a 64GB limit on the 4K AX100. I have a 128GB UHS-1 U3 speed class 3 SDXC card for my 4K GH4 and did not see any 64GB limit in the GH4 manual.
markr041's Avatar markr041 10:24 AM 04-23-2014
I would not recommend any SD card over 64GB *for the AX100* unless someone has tried one, shot video over the whole card and reported back. The AX100 manual limit may just indicate that Sony has only tested 64GB cards, not that they do not work. But there is zero reason to take a chance, and actually 64GB holds a lot of 4K video - 2 hours and 10 minutes (bigger than a feature film).
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 11:07 AM 04-23-2014
I have a 128 gig card and I'll test it later. I'm inclined to believe it will work fine. However, I won't fill it.
SD90's Avatar SD90 11:28 AM 04-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post

no 4K origionals will,my PC
I bet a 4K .MP4 file straight out of an AX100 would play on your computers because they even play well on my 6 year old iMac that still has the old Snow Leopard operating system and only 2GB of RAM.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 11:55 AM 04-23-2014
Quote:

No Ken it just wont play on my new hand made PC or my Toshiba laptop,no 4K origionals will,my PC is pretty fast for HD editing now,rendering burning making fing files etc.
The origional downloads that wont play after taking the full time to download but the download box looks different and if i play there is sound but just the box with a music note in the top left corner confused.gif

Very weird Chris. I just got back from Best Buy, looking at computers. Every single computer, from laptop to their cheapest $399 desktop played my edited 4K video fine. Same with the Macs, no issues. No stutters or failure to recognize the file on any of them.

I can't understand why yours can't. It's a very standard .mp4.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 12:33 PM 04-23-2014
So I can confirm that this 128GB card did indeed work in the AX100. I shot 3 clips with no issues and the card was instantly recognized by the AX100 as it prepared its 'database'.

I certainly didn't attempt to fill the card up, but I'd frankly be surprised if all of a sudden, upon hitting 64GB on the card, the AX100 shut down. I've seen the same thing with other camcorders where at the time of release, higher capacity cards were not tested or listed (as Mark suggested) but yet worked fine.

James Jimmy's Avatar James Jimmy 01:48 PM 04-23-2014
Quote:

You may want to use a program such as 4kdownload.  You simply paste the URL on the program and it will ask you what resolution you want to download and once it is done you will have the a local file that you can try to watch.

http://www.4kdownload.com/

markr041's Avatar markr041 01:53 PM 04-23-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jimmy View Post

You may want to use a program such as 4kdownload.  You simply paste the URL on the program and it will ask you what resolution you want to download and once it is done you will have the a local file that you can try to watch.

http://www.4kdownload.com/

No, no.

From Vimeo you have the choice of resolution, you do not need any special software to choose resolution. Second, he already downloaded and played without incident the 1080p version. The question is why he cannot play the 4K version. That software is irrelevant.
James Jimmy's Avatar James Jimmy 02:20 PM 04-23-2014
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

No, no.

From Vimeo you have the choice of resolution, you do not need any special software to choose resolution. Second, he already downloaded and played without incident the 1080p version. The question is why he cannot play the 4K version. That software is irrelevant.

At least he can see if the 4K material from YouTube will work.  I think it is in MP4 format.

jamescho

Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 03:34 PM 04-23-2014
It's just very bizarre that even the really low end computers, laptop & desktop, sailed through my edited 4K video without a hint of distress. We're talking about I3 processors that didn't break a sweat.

Chris has something screwy in his configuration.
markr041's Avatar markr041 03:37 PM 04-23-2014
Quote:

It's just very bizarre that even the really low end computers, laptop & desktop, sailed through my edited 4K video without a hint of distress. We're talking about I3 processors that didn't break a sweat.

I can report that even a computer with a Celeron processor can play the 4K videos easily (my $259 laptop).
xfws's Avatar xfws 03:55 PM 04-23-2014
Aren't the 4K editing requirements different/higher?

Some forum posts seem to indicate a high-end i7...no?
flintyplus's Avatar flintyplus 04:06 PM 04-23-2014
Quote:

The films always played,smile.gif not the origional downloads,but my brainier son has installed a different codec and the downloads play now.smile.gif
William Chiu's Avatar William Chiu 04:28 PM 04-23-2014
Thumbnails from this afternoon in the park

First ... 47  48  49 50  51  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop