post #2011 of 2580 Old 06-24-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias Burling View Post
I would guess its possible to shoot 4K 4:2:2 to a SD class U3. I havent done the math but since regular class 10 can handle the high bitrate of the GH4 and the Raw from the bmpcc my guess is that its enough.
4:2:2 in 1080p can be as low as 50mbit so at four times the resolution....
Again, havent done the math just guessing.

We do need to do the math, but it is not correct that the GH4 and the BMPCC RAW can handle "regular" class 10. I have both cameras. They require at a minimum the Sandisk Extreme Pro (write speeds up to 90 MB/s (600X) and read speeds up to 95 MB/s (633X)), which is a very expensive card class 10 card. Nothing else in class 10 works for the BMPCC for RAW. Panasonic in fact recommends SD class U3 for shooting 4K, and that's for 4:2:0 8-bit (at <100 Mbps). But I found that the Extreme Pro works too. It is highly unlikely that 4K at 4:2:2 10-bit can be done with any UHS-1 sd card. The consumer AX100 can use any class 10 card for 4K (4:2:0, 8-bit, 30fps, <60 Mbps), and may not even take advantage of UHS-1 let alone U3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2012 of 2580 Old 06-24-2014, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
We do need to do the math, but it is not correct that the GH4 and the BMPCC RAW can handle "regular" class 10. I have both cameras. They require at a minimum the Sandisk Extreme Pro (write speeds up to 90 MB/s (600X) and read speeds up to 95 MB/s (633X)), which is a very expensive card class 10 card. Nothing else in class 10 works for the BMPCC for RAW. Panasonic in fact recommends SD class U3 for shooting 4K, and that's for 4:2:0 8-bit (at <100 Mbps). But I found that the Extreme Pro works too. It is highly unlikely that 4K at 4:2:2 10-bit can be done with any UHS-1 sd card. The consumer AX100 can use any class 10 card for 4K (4:2:0, 8-bit, 30fps, <60 Mbps), and may not even take advantage of UHS-1 let alone U3.
Sorry if I confused you, when I said Class 10 I ment the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s, its the one I also use in the bmpcc.
By "regular" I meant regular SD slot.

Last edited by Mattias Burling; 06-25-2014 at 01:06 AM.
post #2013 of 2580 Old 06-24-2014, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L View Post
Hi

Possibly not, if you expose for the sky, then the darker areas would become under exposed and very dark or black. This is where dynamic range kicks in, the camera can only capture a limited extreme of dark or bright with the same exposure setting. Something has to go out of range when you have very bright and dark areas in the picture.

Remapping values above 235 gets a bit more dynamic range, but even then that may not always help.

The professional way is to use a graduated ND filter, this filter is shaded at the top and clear towards the bottom (similar to half tinted sunglasses), so the sky is darkened and bringing it into range to allow the whole frame to be captured without blowing the highlights. You often see this on some lower budget TV programs or news reports where they've added a graduated ND filter but then decide they need to pan. The shaded area becomes visible as the picture changes.

Sometimes you need a matte box to make these sorts of graduated filters work well, and they only work on shots where the frame is split cleanly across the horizontal so sky at the top and landscape at the bottom. It has to be a steady or a tripod shot as movement will make the filter become visible as the line between shaded and unshaded will not move with the image.

Other ways are to brighten the subject or the shadows using reflectors and/or lighting.

However these techniques don't lend themselves to our domestic use of camcorders, so it is case of avoiding such scenes, letting the highlights blow out, or dealing with in post.

An ordinary ND filter will not help as the whole frame is affected, the sky becomes less dark, but the shadows become darker so you still have the same difference between light and dark.

Another option that can help with blue sky at certain times of the day is a polarising filter, as this will darken the sky without darkening other parts of the image, helping to stop the sky being blown out.

Regards

Phil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Since we all look at videos with different monitors, many of them totally uncalibrated, it's difficult to see exactly what you're seeing.

With that said, if you scrub to that portion of the video, you can easily see how the sky changes color as he changes exposure. At the beginning of that clip, before he lowered the exposure, there was nothing odd looking about the sky on my monitor. In fact, I might have left the exposure right there. There also appeared to be a slight haze which can alter the color of both sky and objects. That happens in still photography as well. Once he reduced the exposure, the scene looked a bit 'off' in terms of color, not just the sky.

I don't believe this is a limitation of RGB values or superwhites at all. As I said, on my monitor the beginning of that clip looked fine. Only the person shooting can tell us if it was truly 'accurate'

Edit: Didn't see your screengrab, just the video. I thought you were referencing the castle shot.

So for that shot a better compromise could probably have been established with a lesser exposure. Not sure if the sky would have been totally natural given the stark contrast, but it could have been improved, I'd suspect. As with any shot, you have to determine what the subject of the clip is. If the sky is important to the scene, than either expose for that or seek a compromise. In short, you work with the dynamic range that the camera you're using offers.

Phil and Ken,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedbacks to my questions.

Again, my intention was to learn what was causing the sky "discoloration" and how to possibly control it or even better avoid it.
It was not meant to be critical of equipment or video itself.

May I also add, that the reason, I have focused on the sky in that part of the video, is that my own camcorder Panasonic SD600 is driving me sometimes crazy with incorrect color and not necessarily "bondi" blue issues.

I have found out that it helps a lot (with my camcorder) in some situation, like filming a beach scene, to first focus on the beach sand or rocks and then slowly move towards the water (sea/ocean).

Another example of a really challenging situation I noticed recently, while watching FIFA World Cup Soccer games, was when the field/grass was partially in the shade, while the rest of the field was in the sun. Even professional broadcast camera had difficulty with the exposure, as the shaded part of the field was to dark on the television screen.

Thanks again,
Pete
post #2014 of 2580 Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat131 View Post
Phil and Ken, May I also add, that the reason, I have focused on the sky in that part of the video, is that my own camcorder Panasonic SD600 is driving me sometimes crazy with incorrect color and not necessarily "bondi" blue issues. Pete
I am also a bit fussy about sky color and it was one of the reasons I hated my Panasonic TM900 camcorder, my Panasonic LX7 compact and returned my AX100 to Best Buy. I have been pleasantly surprised, however, to find the GH4 handles sky colors and bright clouds very well - I can even get realistic sky colors when shooting the GH4 in Vivid and Scenery picture styles - whereas shooting in Vivid with the AX100 (Cinematone) caused the sky to become purplish-blue.
post #2015 of 2580 Old 06-25-2014, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Phil and Ken,

Again, my intention was to learn what was causing the sky "discoloration" and how to possibly control it or even better avoid it.

May I also add, that the reason, I have focused on the sky in that part of the video, is that my own camcorder Panasonic SD600 is driving me sometimes crazy with incorrect color and not necessarily "bondi" blue issues.

I have found out that it helps a lot (with my camcorder) in some situation, like filming a beach scene, to first focus on the beach sand or rocks and then slowly move towards the water (sea/ocean).

Another example of a really challenging situation I noticed recently, while watching FIFA World Cup Soccer games, was when the field/grass was partially in the shade, while the rest of the field was in the sun. Even professional broadcast camera had difficulty with the exposure, as the shaded part of the field was to dark on the television screen.

Thanks again,
Pete
The sky was quite overcast that day, as it was on many days during this trip. So, other than some overexposure, the camera captured it as it appeared in real life. There was little blue in the sky at that time.
post #2016 of 2580 Old 06-25-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 1148
Quote:
Phil and Ken,

Thanks again,
Pete
Pete, you're absolutely correct that even megabuck broadcast cameras can have exposure difficulties. I had DVR'd the Yankee Old Timers game and was watching the introductions of the players last night.

Many times during the introductions, the camera was positioned low, pointing up at the player as he ran from the dugout. The camera operator, in order to get the correct exposure of the player, was forced to overexpose the sky. These are not relatively cheap 'Handicams', these are expensive broadcast cameras that are capable of superb imagery. Even for these cameras there's not much that can be done in these situations. However, considering the players were the subjects, I doubt many noticed the sky nor did they care if they did.

This is why I am forever amused at people who will criticize a $2,000 4K Handicam (not you), totally missing the fact that very expensive broadcast equipment can suffer from exactly the same issues.

This is the nature of video and merely underscores how amazing our eyes actually are.
post #2017 of 2580 Old 06-25-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD90 View Post
I am also a bit fussy about sky color and it was one of the reasons I hated my Panasonic TM900 camcorder, my Panasonic LX7 compact and returned my AX100 to Best Buy. I have been pleasantly surprised, however, to find the GH4 handles sky colors and bright clouds very well - I can even get realistic sky colors when shooting the GH4 in Vivid and Scenery picture styles - whereas shooting in Vivid with the AX100 (Cinematone) caused the sky to become purplish-blue.
We have posted many videos proving that the AX100 renders sky colors very naturally and with the many nuances that exist in nature. Additionally, I saw no discernible difference between the DR of the GH4 vs the AX100.

However it will not produce the cartoony colors you have proven over and over that you so like.
post #2018 of 2580 Old 06-25-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenderson2 View Post
The sky was quite overcast that day, as it was on many days during this trip. So, other than some overexposure, the camera captured it as it appeared in real life. There was little blue in the sky at that time.
And that was precisely my point. As I said several posts ago, only the person that shot the video can determine if it was truly accurate. Looking at it casually, I saw nothing in your video that made me think it was inaccurate or under or over saturated.

Natural yes, hyped no.
post #2019 of 2580 Old 06-25-2014, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Anyone knows / has tested an external flash with the AX100? I would buy one, especially for my photo needs.
post #2020 of 2580 Old 06-26-2014, 12:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi

Quote:
Phil and Ken,

Thanks again,
Pete
Yes, any sports field where there is sun and shade is a problem even for the professionals. It is the same with our own vision, for example looking at someone's face when they are back lit, our eyes tend to expose for the background so their face will be dark and hard to see.

The best option is to use manual exposure and turn on zebras, that way you can expose for the sky without it being blown out, but if the contrast is too great you end up with some areas too dark. A beach scene will benefit from a polariser as that will darken the sea and the sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD90 View Post
The bondi blue was due to clipping of the blue channel, and the blue often returns by mapping in superwhites into the legal range on those Panasonic cameras. The same thing is probably the cause of odd sky colours on the AX100. The problem is with these cameras is they say to other equipment that use the files that they are 16-235 in range, when in fact they are 16-255.

The GH4 has the benefit of being explicit with what it captures in terms of legal ranges (a nod to it's professional target audience), so you don't get unexpected values above 235 unless you've asked for them. If you've asked for full range RGB then you probably know how to treat it, and usually software packages will recognise this by meta data as well.

Regards

Phil
post #2021 of 2580 Old 06-27-2014, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Guys, any suggestion how to edit quickly without re-encoding the native AX100 4K clips?

By editing I mean just simple stripping of beginning or end of the clip or splitting the clip in two.
post #2022 of 2580 Old 06-27-2014, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Sony 64GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 $29.99 w/FS

Amazon has this card on sale so it might be a great deal for AX100 users.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Class-Mem...64UY%2FTQMN%29
The sale was one day only.

Last edited by jogiba; 06-28-2014 at 09:03 AM.
post #2023 of 2580 Old 06-28-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosh9k View Post
Guys, any suggestion how to edit quickly without re-encoding the native AX100 4K clips?

By editing I mean just simple stripping of beginning or end of the clip or splitting the clip in two.
Have you tried Quicktime?
post #2024 of 2580 Old 06-28-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenderson2 View Post
Have you tried Quicktime?
Unfortunately I do not see XAVC S on the list of the supported native formats.

I do the video editing in Premiere Pro CC, but this includes transcoding into different format and will reduce the quality. My goal is to keep the original footage, but cleanud up a little, before starting the editing
Thanks!
post #2025 of 2580 Old 06-28-2014, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

Sony's PlayMemories Home app will allow you to make simple cuts without re-encoding.
milosh9k likes this.
post #2026 of 2580 Old 06-28-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I do not see XAVC S on the list of the supported native formats.

I do the video editing in Premiere Pro CC, but this includes transcoding into different format and will reduce the quality. My goal is to keep the original footage, but cleanud up a little, before starting the editing
Thanks!
I believe you are correct. I mistakenly thought that the files were mp4. Strangely, every clip I took on this trip has two versions - one is an mp4, and the other is in a format that none of my applications recognize. I thought that the mp4 version was only made if the camera was set to record in dual mode. Mine is not set to do that, yet I have the two versions. The mp4 version is only 1080.
post #2027 of 2580 Old 06-28-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJInstitute View Post
Sony's PlayMemories Home app will allow you to make simple cuts without re-encoding.
My PlayMemoriesHome Home was not able to edit the 4K XAVC S clips, but now that you mentioned it I checked for upgrades - and guess what - update from Thursday June 26 that can cut and merge XAVC S files !!!

Here is the anouncement from Sony's:
26-June-14 ver.3.1.20
- Added reverse editing for the "Create Multi View" feature
- Added output formats for the "Create Multi View" feature
- Speedometer can now be displayed in different units (km/h, mph)
- Added support for cutting and combining XAVC S videos

Thanks Much!!!
post #2028 of 2580 Old 06-29-2014, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Sooo,

I was in the process of updating my ax100 and the awesome 1 inch tiny usb cable got yanked out of my laptop.

Said failed due to error during update. Now my ax100 is a paper weight it appears. Wont power on, when charger plugged in the orange light doesnt blink etc.

But, all is not lost. I know it has power, when I open up the SD card slot, the red light is solid.

Couple questions....

1) Can this be fixed, or do I have to send my new camera off to sony... Baby birth taking place in two weeks (c section planned), sorta irritated right now.

2) is there a reset function from the outside?

3) the manual is dumb. First off, where is the power slider it talks about, I have a power button (circle that pushes in and out) my display door turns on and off my device in most cases.

4) from my understanding there is some sort of internal battery that even when the external dies, it keep track of certain stuff if this is true any idea how long till it dies?

5) should I smash it?

Thanks for any help.
post #2029 of 2580 Old 06-29-2014, 08:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Are you getting the planned c-section? Or is that someone you know? Seems to me that maybe it is best not having a camcorder for that event unless it is a selfie.

That said, my experience with Sony's repair services in Larado, TX is good. If you pay for fast freight, you will get the camera back in time.
post #2030 of 2580 Old 06-29-2014, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
Are you getting the planned c-section? Or is that someone you know? Seems to me that maybe it is best not having a camcorder for that event unless it is a selfie.

That said, my experience with Sony's repair services in Larado, TX is good. If you pay for fast freight, you will get the camera back in time.
Thanks for the advice. Im a guy fortunately so I do not have to embrace that journey. Much respect to those who do though.

I guess I will call them in the morning to see my options

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
post #2031 of 2580 Old 06-29-2014, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post
.....I guess I will call them in the morning to see my options
I did my repair order initiation (for a different camera) online at Sony support.
peteypab2133 likes this.
post #2032 of 2580 Old 06-29-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Has anyone tried this?

Gene

System Software Update

What Does This Do?
This utility updates the system firmware and provides the following benefits:
  • Adds Direct Copy for XAVC S format support
  • Adds the following auto focus performance improvements:
    • Focusing accuracy for main subject
    • Focus tracking performance on a person
  • Adds the 1/50 shutter speed
  • Improves zoom speed during movie recording

Applicable Products and Operating Systems (see full list...)
Model:
FDR-AX100
Operating System:
Windows® 7 64-bit

IMPORTANT: This file is only for use with the models identified. Not all models are sold in all countries.
Table of Contents
Go to Top of Page
Determine if Your Camera Needs the Update
Go to Table of Contents
This update is only for FDR-AX100 cameras that currently have firmware version 1.00. If your camera firmware version is already Version 2.00, this update is not necessary.

Check the version of your camera firmware:

1. Power on the camera.
  2. On the camera, select "MENU", "General Settings", and then "Version".
  3. If the version number is Ver. 2.00, the camera does not need this update.
Important Notes
Go to Table of Contents
  • This utility is only for use with the Sony® FDR-AX100 cameras. Do not install this utility with any other model.
  • WARNING!!: This firmware update and any changes incurred by it are permanent. It is not possible to return to a previous firmware version after updating this firmware. By continuing this update process and downloading and updating this firmware, you acknowledge that you are aware and

Last edited by Eugene157; 06-29-2014 at 11:04 PM.
post #2033 of 2580 Old 06-30-2014, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
Has anyone tried this?

Gene

System Software Update

What Does This Do?

Model:
FDR-AX100
Operating System:
Windows® 7 64-bit

IMPORTANT: This file is only for use with the models identified. Not all models are sold in all countries.
Table of Contents
Go to Top of Page
Go to Table of Contents
This update is only for FDR-AX100 cameras that currently have firmware version 1.00. If your camera firmware version is already Version 2.00, this update is not necessary.

1. Power on the camera.
Important Notes
Go to Table of Contents
  • This utility is only for use with the Sony® FDR-AX100 cameras. Do not install this utility with any other model.
  • WARNING!!: This firmware update and any changes incurred by it are permanent. It is not possible to return to a previous firmware version after updating this firmware. By continuing this update process and downloading and updating this firmware, you acknowledge that you are aware and
Two people in this thread already reported doing this. And also there are videos of post upgrade focusing performance in the thread.
post #2034 of 2580 Old 06-30-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Two people in this thread already reported doing this. And also there are videos of post upgrade focusing performance in the thread.
I did the upgrade with no problem. Of course you lose any presets you had, even the time setting.
Mattias Burling likes this.
post #2035 of 2580 Old 06-30-2014, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Has anyone tried this?

Gene

System Software Update

What Does This Do?

Model:
FDR-AX100
Operating System:
Windows® 7 64-bit

Table of Contents
Go to Top of Page
Go to Table of Contents

1. Power on the camera.
Important Notes
Go to Table of Contents
I upgraded my camera. In my camera there was no "Version" to check my firmware in my menu. After I downloaded the file and launching it, it will check your cameras firmware version. I had no problems upgrading the firmware. After the firmware the "Version" selection was added to my menu and showed 2.0. Zoom is faster and tracking accuracy is better.
milosh9k likes this.
post #2036 of 2580 Old 06-30-2014, 05:37 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Has anyone tried this?

1. Power on the camera.
my sony ax100 does not show version option. I go to menu and general setting. but not option to choose version.

anyone have same problem? tia
post #2037 of 2580 Old 06-30-2014, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know if the HXR-NX30U XLR accessory handle/shotgun mic will plug into the AX100 accessory shoe? Looking inside the accessory shoe there is a row of contact points similar to the NX30. I would still need a separate bracket to mount the whole assembly though.
post #2038 of 2580 Old 06-30-2014, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post
my sony ax100 does not show version option. I go to menu and general setting. but not option to choose version.

anyone have same problem? tia

Forget checking. Just do the upgrade. As part of the upgrade process, it will check what version you have and if you need to upgrade (you will).
post #2039 of 2580 Old 06-30-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Forget checking. Just do the upgrade. As part of the upgrade process, it will check what version you have and if you need to upgrade (you will).

done with upgrade to firmware v2. now the if I go to menu, general settings. version option is there.

thanks

note: the unit automatically turn off and stay off (no light indicator) when doing firmware upgrade. I thought unit when dead....
post #2040 of 2580 Old 06-30-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post
Sooo,

I was in the process of updating my ax100 and the awesome 1 inch tiny usb cable got yanked out of my laptop.

Said failed due to error during update. Now my ax100 is a paper weight it appears. Wont power on, when charger plugged in the orange light doesnt blink etc.

But, all is not lost. I know it has power, when I open up the SD card slot, the red light is solid.

Thanks for any help.

have you try to rerun the firmware upgrade software. the unit stays off as if dead while computer is upgrading th ax100 firmware. the only indication the thing are ok. is by viewing computer monitor for upgrade progress. and one upgrade is complete. the ax100 will automatically turn on.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page