Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 thread - Page 69 - AVS Forum
First ... 67  68  69 70  71  ... Last
Camcorders > Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 thread
peteypab2133's Avatar peteypab2133 08:09 AM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post
have you try to rerun the firmware upgrade software. the unit stays off as if dead while computer is upgrading th ax100 firmware. the only indication the thing are ok. is by viewing computer monitor for upgrade progress. and one upgrade is complete. the ax100 will automatically turn on.
Yea, when plugged in the computer does not even recognize the unit plugged in. It doesnt run the pre update check anymore to verify the current firmware. I initiated a work order through sony. Will send it out tomorrow if I cant contact tech support first to troubleshoot it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Eugene157's Avatar Eugene157 10:37 AM 06-30-2014
Good morning all!

1) I cannot get the version number either.

2) Those that have done it, is it worth the trouble and risk? Mine was part of the very first batch shipped.

3) My first HD camera was the Sony HC1. We watched some vacation video from 7 years ago and the quality, even at only 1440x1080 is just amazing.Excellent dynamic range and color which proves that resolution is not everything.

Eugene
Eugene157's Avatar Eugene157 11:50 AM 06-30-2014
Well I am breathing again!!

Update was straight forward and took less than 10 min. I can now check the version on the camera, it is V2. My version number before must have been less than 1 since I
could not check it. However all setting were reset.

I did have issues with the focusing and had to revert to MF a number of times. Will find out if that will fix it.

Now to the next firmware update: adjustable sharpening! But I am dreaming again.

The camera will not be needed for a few weeks so I figured to do it now, enough time to have it fixed in case the unthinkable happened.

Eugene
lucasberg's Avatar lucasberg 02:06 PM 06-30-2014
I did mine last week too and it was kind of scary. It seemed off for a good chunk of the update. The zoom seemed a little faster and the AF seemed a little better.
milosh9k's Avatar milosh9k 06:34 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosh9k View Post
My PlayMemoriesHome Home was not able to edit the 4K XAVC S clips, but now that you mentioned it I checked for upgrades - and guess what - update from Thursday June 26 that can cut and merge XAVC S files !!!

Here is the anouncement from Sony's:
26-June-14 ver.3.1.20
- Added reverse editing for the "Create Multi View" feature
- Added output formats for the "Create Multi View" feature
- Speedometer can now be displayed in different units (km/h, mph)
- Added support for cutting and combining XAVC S videos

Thanks Much!!!
Just FORGET about PlayMemoriesHome, I cannot believe what I am seeing! This application is useless and unfortunately no one will provide app for editing XAVC S without reencoding
I do set the out point at 7:22 and the video cuts at 8:00 ?!?! I attempted different edits and somehow the cut is up to half second off the point where you need it but never at the exact frame!
hatchback's Avatar hatchback 11:31 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosh9k View Post
Just FORGET about PlayMemoriesHome, I cannot believe what I am seeing! This application is useless and unfortunately no one will provide app for editing XAVC S without reencoding
I do set the out point at 7:22 and the video cuts at 8:00 ?!?! I attempted different edits and somehow the cut is up to half second off the point where you need it but never at the exact frame!
This is not really the fault of the Sony software. In long-GOP encoding like XAVC S, a group of frames is encoded together in a block. Once they are encoded together, the block can't be taken apart without reencoding the remaining frames in the block. So you can't have exact frame cutting in a long-GOP format without some reencoding. When you trim a clip without reencoding, you are trimming the blocks not the individual frames. (Of course they could reencode only the frames in the last block, but they don't.)
emporer's Avatar emporer 04:37 AM 07-01-2014
Hi folks, i'm possibly looking at this cam for my home use, I have a question or 2 for the guys with them.

The dual rec mode does both 4k and AVCHD mode from what I can gather, I take it the 4k file is an mp4 and the AVCHD is the usual M2TS files?

I currently use Sony PMB to just create basic non edited bluray discs from my SOny GW55 and its fine, I assume I can still do the same with the AVCHD files from the AX100?

The 4k from dual rec mode mp4 file is what i'm interested in mainly, I have an LG 4k tv (UB850v, UK equiv of the UB8500), I would like to see if these files play from a USB HDD connected to the tv, it would give me a great way of backing up and playing the 4k stuff if it works as I believe there are no dedicated 4k media players out there and I don't have a pc connected to the tv.

If anyone has a small test file they could let me try I would appreciate it, just a small sample of the 4k mp4 file directly from the camcorder that I can try on the tv.

Many thanks.
markr041's Avatar markr041 06:58 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by emporer View Post
Hi folks, i'm possibly looking at this cam for my home use, I have a question or 2 for the guys with them.

The dual rec mode does both 4k and AVCHD mode from what I can gather, I take it the 4k file is an mp4 and the AVCHD is the usual M2TS files?

I currently use Sony PMB to just create basic non edited bluray discs from my SOny GW55 and its fine, I assume I can still do the same with the AVCHD files from the AX100?

The 4k from dual rec mode mp4 file is what i'm interested in mainly, I have an LG 4k tv (UB850v, UK equiv of the UB8500), I would like to see if these files play from a USB HDD connected to the tv, it would give me a great way of backing up and playing the 4k stuff if it works as I believe there are no dedicated 4k media players out there and I don't have a pc connected to the tv.

If anyone has a small test file they could let me try I would appreciate it, just a small sample of the 4k mp4 file directly from the camcorder that I can try on the tv.

Many thanks.

It's not very small, but this is a brief 4K video from the AX100 that you can download for free:

https://vimeo.com/98976053
LenMiddx's Avatar LenMiddx 01:09 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusonurbest View Post
Does anyone know if the HXR-NX30U XLR accessory handle/shotgun mic will plug into the AX100 accessory shoe? Looking inside the accessory shoe there is a row of contact points similar to the NX30. I would still need a separate bracket to mount the whole assembly though.
The XLR accessory handle/shotgun mic looks identical to the XLR-K1M accessory for the AX100.

However, whether they are electrically the same is something you'd have to ask Sony, if you can't get to test it.
Attached: pic2x.jpg (119.1 KB) 
emporer's Avatar emporer 01:10 AM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
It's not very small, but this is a brief 4K video from the AX100 that you can download for free:

https://vimeo.com/98976053

Ok that didn't work on the LG 4k tv, I assume that mp4 was not re-encoded in any way and was in the original format directly from the Ax100?
chenderson2's Avatar chenderson2 05:30 AM 07-02-2014
Quote:
Ok that didn't work on the LG 4k tv, I assume that mp4 was not re-encoded in any way and was in the original format directly from the Ax100?
My experience, at least with the Sony TV, is that the TV does not have an app that will play 4K. So, it wouldn't matter in what format the file was, it still won't play.
emporer's Avatar emporer 08:01 AM 07-02-2014
Its a bit hit and miss generally with these built in media players, I never really use them and tend to stick to a proper dedicated unit (Med600x3d is what I use mainly), but the media player built in to these new LG sets is actually very good and will play 4k, certain clips i've tried are fine, others not.

Are there any media players that will play the 4k clips from the Ax100?
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 09:21 AM 07-02-2014
Quote:
If your UHD TV is of a 2013 vintage, it's a pretty good bet it won't play 4K files from its USB inputs.

The 2014 models, from almost all manufacturers, will play these files.
emporer's Avatar emporer 10:07 AM 07-02-2014
My set is a 2014 LG, its the UK equiv of the US UB8500, exactly the same set, it has all the 2014 specs HEVC, HDMI 2.0 etc.
Ken Ross's Avatar Ken Ross 01:24 PM 07-02-2014
Not sure why you'd have this issue since I've played these .mp4 files on 2014 Sonys & Samsungs. As Mark's clip was a standard .mp4, I'm not sure what's different about the LG.
peteypab2133's Avatar peteypab2133 09:18 AM 07-04-2014
Just a follow up, called best buy and they over nighted a new ax100 to me even though I was at day 48 of purchase. Guess it pays to be an elite plus member with them.

Soon as I got it I ran thr firmware update and the zoom is much much better.

chenderson2's Avatar chenderson2 11:08 AM 07-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post
Just a follow up, called best buy and they over nighted a new ax100 to me even though I was at day 48 of purchase. Guess it pays to be an elite plus member with them.

Soon as I got it I ran thr firmware update and the zoom is much much better.

That must be nice. Best Buy is treating me like crap. I bought my 4K Samsung monitor from them in May and when I got back from my trip to Germany I edited the videos. I noticed that the monitor would get little horizontal lines in it, so I took it back to Best Buy on June 19. It is still there, and who knows when they will ever return it.
peteypab2133's Avatar peteypab2133 11:45 AM 07-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenderson2 View Post
That must be nice. Best Buy is treating me like crap. I bought my 4K Samsung monitor from them in May and when I got back from my trip to Germany I edited the videos. I noticed that the monitor would get little horizontal lines in it, so I took it back to Best Buy on June 19. It is still there, and who knows when they will ever return it.
Ugg that stinks. My sister bought a 46" sony lcd in 2011 and bought the geeksquad. In 2013 it had vertical lines called and they picked it up from her house and gave her 1700 credit. Got a new samsung led at no cost. Was super happy

Mattias Burling's Avatar Mattias Burling 04:57 PM 07-04-2014
Day one with the AX100 today, its nice in daylight, but its verry nice in low light.
markr041's Avatar markr041 05:19 PM 07-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias Burling View Post
Day one with the AX100 today, its nice in daylight, but its verry nice in low light.

Indeed. We have lots of videos posted here showing that. I think the low-light performance was somewhat surprising to many.
Glashub's Avatar Glashub 05:28 PM 07-04-2014
Here's my situation -- I am the personification of an amatuer. I still have a Sony HDR XR500 from 2010. I needed to take some pictures for a new website and the XR500 never took very good pictures even to my untrained eye. So I went out and bought an RX10 -- what a beautiful camera. Truly great images imo. But however -- I returned it. Why? I need it's video capabilities as much as for stills. The Sony app is the most rudimentary and laughable app I've seen in a long time -- it doesn't control any video -- only stills. I could see what the camera sees for stills but the app only allowed one to zoom in and out and snap picture. A kid programming before bedtime could probably have come up with something superior. As a result I couldn't use the camera to tape myself. There is no way to for me to see what the camera see while sitting in front of it when I wanted to shoot video.

Which brings me to this thread. The CX900 seems to be an RX19 basically -- in a camcorder. The AX100 seems to be a CX900 with 4K. I want to put the best video presentations I can in my site. But my basic skills are shoot it -- upload it. Laughably I have Vegas Pro and Adobe Lightroom on both lappies. Laughable because they are lost on me. Do you think the AX100 deliver higher quality images than the CX900? I hate to overspend given my limited skill set and lack of real passion to learn all there is to know about this art/craft/hobby you all enjoy BUT I don't want to short my business by buying less than the best and most efficient equipment for the job I have to do. Your feedback and the feedback of anyone who reads this would be appreciated.
Mattias Burling's Avatar Mattias Burling 05:59 PM 07-04-2014
Quote:
Indeed. We have lots of videos posted here showing that. I think the low-light performance was somewhat surprising to many.
Havent seen them, have seen mostly flowers in daylight.
markr041's Avatar markr041 03:00 AM 07-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias Burling View Post
Havent seen them, have seen mostly flowers in daylight.

This thread has gone on quite a while before you entered, with plenty of posted videos demonstrating the performance of the AX100 in many circumstances. So that you can better add something new, I humbly suggest you might read through the thread to see what we have already learned. The camera has been out for a while now.

To help you, here are some examples of posted videos that were discussed as we learned about the camera.

For really low light there is this that was posted, and commented on:
https://vimeo.com/97288660 (no flowers)

And there was testing the AX100 for sports action:
https://vimeo.com/91928654 (no flowers)

This, for use at a beach:
https://vimeo.com/97630331 (warning: some flowers)

And this, for encountering a real scene with people:
https://vimeo.com/91245862 (warning: some incidental flowers)

And Ken Ross' wonderful Baltimore Harbor video:
https://vimeo.com/96725093 (I don't think there are flowers)

There were others, but these are just the ones I recall.

I am sure you can contribute too on AX100 capabilities.
Mattias Burling's Avatar Mattias Burling 03:26 AM 07-05-2014
Quote:
This thread has gone on quite a while before you entered, with plenty of posted videos demonstrating the performance of the AX100 in many circumstances. So that you can better add something new, I humbly suggest you might read through the thread to see what we have already learned. The camera has been out for a while now.

To help you, here are some examples of posted videos that were discussed as we learned about the camera.

For really low light there is this that was posted, and commented on:
https://vimeo.com/97288660 (no flowers)

And there was testing the AX100 for sports action:
https://vimeo.com/91928654 (no flowers)

This, for use at a beach:
https://vimeo.com/97630331 (warning: some flowers)

And this, for encountering a real scene with people:
https://vimeo.com/91245862 (warning: some incidental flowers)

And Ken Ross' wonderful Baltimore Harbor video:
https://vimeo.com/96725093 (I don't think there are flowers)

There were others, but these are just the ones I recall.

I am sure you can contribute too on AX100 capabilities.
Ive seen all those videos, I started reading this thread from the first post, but thanks for taking your time with the links
chenderson2's Avatar chenderson2 07:10 AM 07-05-2014
And, might I add, the reason there are so many flowers is that flowers have been notoriously difficult to film without burn out, blown highlights and detail, and so forth. The AX100 seems to do an excellent job with them.
ricksastro's Avatar ricksastro 08:52 AM 07-05-2014
Here's a quick clip I put together in Movie Studio Platinum yesterday. Strictly consumer-ish, but I really enjoy using this camera

https://vimeo.com/99983896
Mattias Burling's Avatar Mattias Burling 01:08 PM 07-05-2014
The Ax100 getting ready to go on the steady cam

Yorkshire AX100 08:20 PM 07-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by leamas View Post
Anyone knows / has tested an external flash with the AX100? I would buy one, especially for my photo needs.
I have bought the Sony HVL-F43M.

It has the attach fully compatible with my AX-100E, without any conversion attach.

It work very, very well and allows (for me important) the red eyes reduction.

No more red/eyes with my new AX-100E ! Photos and movies FANTASTIC!

This is the main reason I sold the Panasonic HC-X920. No possibility to use an external flash.

Hope this help.
leamas's Avatar leamas 11:41 PM 07-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkshire AX100 View Post
I have bought the Sony HVL-F43M.

It has the attach fully compatible with my AX-100E, without any conversion attach.

It work very, very well and allows (for me important) the red eyes reduction.

No more red/eyes with my new AX-100E ! Photos and movies FANTASTIC!

This is the main reason I sold the Panasonic HC-X920. No possibility to use an external flash.

Hope this help.
I bought the HVL-F20M in the meantime (I have no need for video light). Everything looks very fine but I only have one problem. Which is not really related to the flash. The AX100 is compressing the pictures too much and the result can be visible. By example, a 20 MP picture has 2-3 MB which is too little. I don't know why the camera has this limitation. I use the 15 MP mode, there pictures seem to be a bit better. When using the flash, in certain situations, I can see the people's face "washy" due to too much compression. I wrote to Sony technical support and wait for their answer. I think the camera can be much better if some limitations will be removed via a firmware.
peteypab2133's Avatar peteypab2133 06:34 AM 07-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by leamas View Post
I bought the HVL-F20M in the meantime (I have no need for video light). Everything looks very fine but I only have one problem. Which is not really related to the flash. The AX100 is compressing the pictures too much and the result can be visible. By example, a 20 MP picture has 2-3 MB which is too little. I don't know why the camera has this limitation. I use the 15 MP mode, there pictures seem to be a bit better. When using the flash, in certain situations, I can see the people's face "washy" due to too much compression. I wrote to Sony technical support and wait for their answer. I think the camera can be much better if some limitations will be removed via a firmware.
Its not shooting in raw. Its taking jpegs. 2 and 3 mb is totally normal for a 20mp camera.

My nikon full frame is 24mp and raw files are 8-15mb depending on how they are shot and my jpegs in normal are 2-4mb each.

First ... 67  68  69 70  71  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop