74Likes

post #2071 of 2807 Old 07-06-2014, 06:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post
Its not shooting in raw. Its taking jpegs. 2 and 3 mb is totally normal for a 20mp camera.

My nikon full frame is 24mp and raw files are 8-15mb depending on how they are shot and my jpegs in normal are 2-4mb each.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Maybe in normal mode, but there is also the 'fine' mode, where they are bigger. On Nikon d90 the jpg 's in fine mode were 5 mb. On a handy Sony camera, Xc830 if I am not wrong, the 20 megapixels images are 7 mb. And the pictures are bad there but another story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2807 Old 07-06-2014, 07:39 AM

How did I reach to this conclusion that the compression is too big: I took two portraits. One has bokeh behind, one not so much. The one that has bokeh behind shows a much better face than the other, because it could compress very well the bokeh and the remaining size was bigger for the face. The conclusion: there may be a maximum limit of compression. Maybe I am wrong, waiting for some other opinions. This is better observable on pictures taken using flash.
post #2073 of 2807 Old 07-06-2014, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Its hard to tell from jus a frame grab but when I did some fiddling to get the AX100s colors to be a bit more natural and not so saturated I also got a little more fine detail.
On my screen I see it specially in the ribbon on the ladies hat, on that pillow sitting between them and on some other textures in the car. It seems the finest texture details can be a bit lost in the color but its still there if one would want to get it back.
I have two days of material to go through so this was just an impression after a quick play while I was transcoding.

post #2074 of 2807 Old 07-07-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is it true that you cannot adjust the audio recording levels with an external microphone attached? This could be a deal breaker.

Spok.
post #2075 of 2807 Old 07-07-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spok1701 View Post
Is it true that you cannot adjust the audio recording levels with an external microphone attached? This could be a deal breaker.

Spok.
No -- untrue.

If you have an external mic (such as a Rode VideoMic) plugged into the 3.5mm mic socket then you can select "Menu" / "Camera/Mic" / "Audio Rec Level" ..... and select "Manual". You can then select a position along a slider for more or less volume or use "+" and "-" buttons

However, if you are using mics with XLR connectors through the Sony XLR-K1M Adapter, then you can't control it from the camera -- you control it from the XLR adapter instead.

However, both kind of inputs would seem to involve automatic in-camera limiters.
post #2076 of 2807 Old 07-07-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Also, if using the microphones Sony sells that plug into the multipurpose interface on the top of the camera, to do manual adjustment you will have to plug in the cable provided as well as attach the microphone to the interface. So far it seems the automatic level works fine.
post #2077 of 2807 Old 07-07-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenMiddx View Post
However, both kind of inputs would seem to involve automatic in-camera limiters.
Now thats a delbreaker, cant you turn it of? How about the auto gain?

I ran a Sennheiser MKE600 through the AX100 real quick just to try the preamps but I never checked what controls where offered, and now I wont see the camera for a week or so.

Not being able to adjust the level from the xlr in camera is imo a good thing. Physical nobs is the way to go. But if there is no full manual that would disappoint.
post #2078 of 2807 Old 07-07-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias Burling View Post
Now thats a delbreaker, cant you turn it of?
There's not much information that I could find, except for a single statement in one of the on-line manuals:

"The limiter is always active regardless of the setting value of the recording level." -- no mention of adjusting the threshold.

It would be useful to have some more information, but it works well enough to prevent overload and, hence, clipping of the signal.

The recorded sound seems very clean, although I haven't had the time to do much experimenting with it at the moment.
post #2079 of 2807 Old 07-07-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Panning Frame Grab

post #2080 of 2807 Old 07-07-2014, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

The above post is meant to show the consequences of panning with rs. Any consequences are seen in the defocused background.

Panning was used to follow the dancers. A 1/60th shutter was used to achieve smooth motion (blur!) in the video.
post #2081 of 2807 Old 07-07-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Manual focus is easy, with peaking and 4X magnification. They both were used here, in bright sunlight (frame grab):

post #2082 of 2807 Old 07-07-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Now thats a delbreaker, cant you turn it of? How about the auto gain?

I ran a Sennheiser MKE600 through the AX100 real quick just to try the preamps but I never checked what controls where offered, and now I wont see the camera for a week or so.

Not being able to adjust the level from the xlr in camera is imo a good thing. Physical nobs is the way to go. But if there is no full manual that would disappoint.

If you set the audio levels correctly (manually), the limiter has virtually no effect on the audio quality or dynamics. It is there in case the sounds exceed the maximum and protects against digital overload, which would sound catastrophic. Professional audio recorders have limiters, and while they can be turned off, for field use that is never done. It is not a "dealbreaker." (Let's put a moratorium on this term, please).
LenMiddx likes this.
post #2083 of 2807 Old 07-08-2014, 12:57 AM

Quote:
There's not much information that I could find, except for a single statement in one of the on-line manuals:

"The limiter is always active regardless of the setting value of the recording level." -- no mention of adjusting the threshold.

It would be useful to have some more information, but it works well enough to prevent overload and, hence, clipping of the signal.

The recorded sound seems very clean, although I haven't had the time to do much experimenting with it at the moment.
Ok, thanks. I agree the sound is good

Not being able to turn of the limiter can be a problem specally in interview situations.
If something sudenly turns loud like a sneeze or someone in the background turning over a chair then the sound is muffled until the limiter is turned of which on some devices takes forever.

In that case I rather have the short clip and lower the sound on those two frames in post rather than having a parts of the interview muffled.
Of course you can do retakes but its not always possible due to yours or the other persons time.

Its not as bad as not being able to turn of the the auto gain but still disappointing.

This I will have to test as soon as I get my hands on it again.

Last edited by Mattias Burling; 07-08-2014 at 01:00 AM.
post #2084 of 2807 Old 07-08-2014, 02:53 AM

Thanks for all your answers. I would be interested in any tests of the sound - limiters -auto gain etc. What can and cannot be turned off. Sound is an important component and, at this price, it should be right.

Spok.
post #2085 of 2807 Old 07-08-2014, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all your answers. I would be interested in any tests of the sound - limiters -auto gain etc. What can and cannot be turned off. Sound is an important component and, at this price, it should be right.

Spok.
Agreed
Im on a trip rigt now and cant assist but I can atleast say that the internal preamps are just as good as any DSLR.
I would be more than a little interested if anybody has access to the XLR-interface. Both regarding sound and ergonomics.
/M
post #2086 of 2807 Old 07-08-2014, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Agreed
Im on a trip rigt now and cant assist but I can atleast say that the internal preamps are just as good as any DSLR.
I would be more than a little interested if anybody has access to the XLR-interface. Both regarding sound and ergonomics.
/M
Hi Mattias.

I use a sennheiser me66 kit via a XLR to mini jack adapter. It sounds great and no different to other cameras that have direct XLR inputs. I didn't even know about the limiter being permanently on, which shows how transparent it is when using the correct input gain.

Cheers,
Dave.
post #2087 of 2807 Old 07-08-2014, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harry View Post
Hi Mattias.

I use a sennheiser me66 kit via a XLR to mini jack adapter. It sounds great and no different to other cameras that have direct XLR inputs. I didn't even know about the limiter being permanently on, which shows how transparent it is when using the correct input gain.

Cheers
Dave.
That sounds great Dave, thanks.
The ME66 is very close to my mke600 so it should be the same
post #2088 of 2807 Old 07-08-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Agreed
.......... I can at least say that the internal preamps are just as good as any DSLR.
/M

The pre-amps on all DSLRs (my experience is with Canons) are not that wonderful, and to get the best out of them you really need to use a decent external pre-amp to improve the signal-to-noise ratio.

Most people won't notice the difference, of course.

I find that it's only those situations where the ambient noise is 'silence' that the short-comings in a camera's sound recording capabilities really show up. i.e. A speech, an interview, recording music, and such like. Listen to that occasional 'silence' on headphones and you're going to hear "Hsssssssssssss" to one degree or another.

My initial feelings are that the situation with the AX100 will is similar to that with DSLRs -- you need to get a clean signal to the camera's recording circuitry -- and that means using manual settings in conjunction with an external pre-amp.

As for the XLR interface -- I hope to make a short video on the one that I have, sometime soon. So far, it seems OK, but I shall be using it for some shooting this coming weekend, so I'll see how it behaves "in the field".
post #2089 of 2807 Old 07-08-2014, 06:37 AM

Quote:
The pre-amps on all DSLRs (my experience is with Canons) are not that wonderful, and to get the best out of them you really need to use a decent external pre-amp to improve the signal-to-noise ratio.

Most people won't notice the difference, of course.

My experience is similar to yours. But I do tend to hear the diference since I have worked more with radio than TV and therefore Im a bit picky when it comes to audio. I to of course sometimes go for the "Goo Enough" approach, but when its a project Im excited about audio is more important than picture imo.

Quote:
My initial feelings are that the situation with the AX100 will is similar to that with DSLRs -- you need to get a clean signal to the camera's recording circuitry -- and that means using manual settings in conjunction with an external pre-amp.
Thats why I never recomend shot gun mics such as the Rode NTG-2, its a weak signal. The sennheisers are much stronger.
Same reason to avoid the Zoom H4n and specally together with a ntg-2.
The quick test I did with the MKE600 in the AX100 was as good as would expect from a decent internal preamp.

Quote:
As for the XLR interface -- I hope to make a short video on the one that I have, sometime soon. So far, it seems OK, but I shall be using it for some shooting this coming weekend, so I'll see how it behaves "in the field".

This Im looking forward to see
Do you have a youtube or vimeo where you will post it?
post #2090 of 2807 Old 07-08-2014, 11:39 AM

A question about batteries. I assume the AX100 comes with the NP-FV70. How long does that last? I will want to get a second battery and wondered if another NP-FV70 would be good enough, or should I go for the NP-FV100. From the picture, though, that one looks very large to be hanging off the back of the camera. What are your experiences.

Spok.
post #2091 of 2807 Old 07-08-2014, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am using after market batteries and have done so for many years. A FV-100 is 4.9 AH and will last for a couple of hours in normal use. Two fully compatible batteries plus a charger can be had on ebay for under $50.00. I have 4 of those plus two chargers, note that it can take over 8 hours to charge them. Brand name is Vivitar.. The FV-70 supplied will last about 30 to 40 min.

Eugene.

Last edited by Eugene157; 07-08-2014 at 12:25 PM.
post #2092 of 2807 Old 07-08-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
A question about batteries. I assume the AX100 comes with the NP-FV70. How long does that last? I will want to get a second battery and wondered if another NP-FV70 would be good enough, or should I go for the NP-FV100. From the picture, though, that one looks very large to be hanging off the back of the camera. What are your experiences.

Spok.

I've been using Canon cameras for some years now and my experience has shown that to use non-Canon batteries is false economy.

However, since buying the AX100, I had read a lot of reports that suggest non-Sony batteries can be a bargain.

So, I've decided to experiment and I now have two (much cheaper) non-Sony NP-FV70 equivalents from

(1) Duracell ........... a well-known brand of batteries

(2) Jupio ........... a Dutch-based company with a known track-record for supplying batteries, and with its Orange labeling certainly doesn't try and pretend to be a genuine Sony

I'm still within the first 4 to 5 charge/discharge cycles, so it will be a while before I can tell how they perform in comparison with "genuine" Sonys.

I also have two NP-FV100 equivalents from Wasabi ...... not too well known in the UK, but there seems to be a lot of good reports on them from US sources, so I thought that I'd take a chance.

The cost of an NP-FV100 on Amazon is £90, whereas a pack of 2 x Wasabi batteries (plus charger) costs £40.

The NP-FV100 may look big (it sticks out a further 2cm), but it works OK (ergonomically) with the AX100, and has the benefit of a considerable extra shooting life.
post #2093 of 2807 Old 07-09-2014, 06:57 AM

Thanks for your very helpful answers. I have an 'after market' large battery for my Panasonic SD700 and I have to say it is nowhere near as good as the genuine Panasonic version, which I also have. It does not last as long and it dies quite suddenly while recording, even though the display indicates there is still five minutes of power left. When it dies the file currently recording gets corrupted, although the camera does a great job of fixing it. I have never had this problem with the genuine battery, so I am a little reluctant to go the same way with the Sony.

Spok.
post #2094 of 2807 Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 AM

Cool

I would like to ask all you seasoned AX100 users what you use for lens protection. I was looking at one of those Nano Glass filters, but they seem quite expensive. I will certainly need something, but how far do I need to go.

Sorry about the bombardment of questions but I am now on the verge of purchasing this beast, after waiting months for it to get into stock here in the UK. I am quite excited, especially with the holiday season fast approaching.

Spok.
post #2095 of 2807 Old 07-09-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I would like to ask all you seasoned AX100 users what you use for lens protection. I was looking at one of those Nano Glass filters, but they seem quite expensive. I will certainly need something, but how far do I need to go.

Sorry about the bombardment of questions but I am now on the verge of purchasing this beast, after waiting months for it to get into stock here in the UK. I am quite excited, especially with the holiday season fast approaching.

Spok.

I use this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this for my sony ax100

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
post #2096 of 2807 Old 07-09-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
I am using after market batteries and have done so for many years. A FV-100 is 4.9 AH and will last for a couple of hours in normal use. Two fully compatible batteries plus a charger can be had on ebay for under $50.00. I have 4 of those plus two chargers, note that it can take over 8 hours to charge them. Brand name is Vivitar.. The FV-70 supplied will last about 30 to 40 min.

Eugene.
Eugene, do the after market batteries show the percentage, as the original ones do? Second question, do they charge with the original charger that came with the camera? In other words, do they behave exactly like the original ones?
post #2097 of 2807 Old 07-09-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post
I don't use the filter, but I also use the Optec fast cap...very convenient!
post #2098 of 2807 Old 07-09-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Spok.
I use one of these:

http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photogr...er-p-1947.html

i.e.

A Hoya 62mm Pro-1D Protection Filter

I have these fitted to other lenses.
post #2099 of 2807 Old 07-09-2014, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 76
64GB Samsung UHS-1 SDXC card $31.95 w/FS

Samsung 64GB SDXC Pro UHS-1 Class 10 Memory Card, Upto 80MB/s Read, Upto 40MB/s Write Speed

http://www.adorama.com/ISGMBSGCGBAM....ce=rflaid65093
post #2100 of 2807 Old 07-09-2014, 11:15 AM

A friend of mine used the AX100 on a trip to Lebanon.
Reply Camcorders