Forum Jump: 
 48Likes

post #2491 of 2505 Old 08-27-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 913
Another silly Mac vs PC debate that should have its own thread. I use Edius Pro and it doesn't run on Mac nor do I have any interest in a dual-boot environment. My PCs run great, have for years and I have no need to switch.
Eugene157, leamas and socal444 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2492 of 2505 Old 08-27-2014, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Another silly Mac vs PC debate that should have its own thread. I use Edius Pro and it doesn't run on Mac nor do I have any interest in a dual-boot environment. My PCs run great, have for years and I have no need to switch.
Dont fan the flame if you dont like the fire. Better to let it burn out.
post #2493 of 2505 Old 08-27-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by leamas View Post
Ok, you can minimize the noise in your PC as much as possible by getting expensive silent fans all over. But I don't think this is what you want in the end. Your refrigerator makes some noise anyway probably.
"With all this power enclosed in such a small space, you’d think that the new Apple Mac Pro would produce a sound similar to a jet during takeoff, but that assumption would be incorrect. In fact, the new Mac Pro is one of, if not the quietest desktop workstation we have ever used. Using a single, well designed fan, this Mac Pro produces an astounding acoustic level of only 12dB at idle and only slightly higher when under load. Even after several hours of testing, the only time we ever heard the fan in the Mac Pro was if we positioned our ear a few inches above the enclosure, and even then, the moving air made more noise than the fan itself. This is made possible by the unified thermal core that has the CPU and both graphics cards using a single, triangular shaped heat sink, greatly reducing the space and number of fans required for proper heat dissipation."
http://www.videomaker.com/article/17...mac-pro-review
post #2494 of 2505 Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Alot of pros use the Mac:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg butter.jpg (89.6 KB, 16 views)
post #2495 of 2505 Old 08-28-2014, 04:53 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
To return to thread's subject:
Just received my SEK2500 upgrade kit for the Samsung F9000 TV. This enables 60p from PC + better dimming + better frame interpolation. I will test using it the known issues for the AX100 (fast moving scenes, rolling shutter, flickering with excessive sharpness) and come back with the conclusions.
post #2496 of 2505 Old 08-28-2014, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #2497 of 2505 Old 08-28-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD90 View Post
Alot of pros use the Mac:

That is primarily for historical reasons, since in the old days high powered computers operating in a windowed environment was pretty much exclusively a Mac domain, so anyone who did high end graphics work used one. Those days are long gone, but the brand loyalty in the field remained.
post #2498 of 2505 Old 08-28-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
"With all this power enclosed in such a small space, you’d think that the new Apple Mac Pro would produce a sound similar to a jet during takeoff, but that assumption would be incorrect. In fact, the new Mac Pro is one of, if not the quietest desktop workstation we have ever used. Using a single, well designed fan, this Mac Pro produces an astounding acoustic level of only 12dB at idle and only slightly higher when under load. Even after several hours of testing, the only time we ever heard the fan in the Mac Pro was if we positioned our ear a few inches above the enclosure, and even then, the moving air made more noise than the fan itself. This is made possible by the unified thermal core that has the CPU and both graphics cards using a single, triangular shaped heat sink, greatly reducing the space and number of fans required for proper heat dissipation."
http://www.videomaker.com/article/17...mac-pro-review

Cool. The fans on my PC operate at ~13db at idle, and not much more than that at load if I don't overclock the system.
post #2499 of 2505 Old 08-28-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
Cool. The fans on my PC operate at ~13db at idle, and not much more than that at load if I don't overclock the system.

What are the components CPU, graphic card, PSU . memory etc) ? Go post that on Tomshardware.com and see what they say about that.

Quote:
The above graph illustrates the GeForce GTX 690's position in this variable envelope I'm describing. Stock, it achieves 71.5 FPS using a test system I'll detail on the following page in Unigine Valley 1.0 at the ExtremeHD preset. It generates an audible, but not bothersome 42.5 dB(A). If you're willing to live with a borderline-noisy 45.5 dB(A), you can easily overclock the card and get a stable 81.5 FPS using the same preset.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...yths,3694.html
post #2500 of 2505 Old 08-29-2014, 12:21 AM

Most high end low noise fans in computers run at around 13db at idle. I prefer using Noctua fans, you can check out the specs for their products on their website (www.noctua.at). Apple is not exceptional in this regard (notice they don't tell you the noise specs under load, they only tell you what they are at idle). Of course fan run faster under load if you have set them up that way and will produce more noise, but even so you are talking about 19db, thereabouts. All of my case fans run at their minimum speeds. The only exceptions are those controlled by the motherboard using thermal profiles, but even under load I have never seen the board temperature go high enough to trigger a speed increase. Some of the fans even get switched off by the motherboard because the temperature is so low and they are not making an effective contribution. I have temperature probes monitored by another fan controller to keep track of what is going off the motherboard elsewhere inside the case. My RAID card also keeps track of drive temperatures in the two sets of drive arrays in the case, so I have a pretty good idea of what is going on temperature wise. My CPU (which is a mildly overclocked 3770K running at 4.3GHZ) has never exceeded temperatures of around the low 50s even when all 8 threads are running at maximum load. The cooling system in my case is way overkill.

The only fans which make sort of significant noise are the video card fans, and those only do that when under very heavy load. And that happens pretty rarely. If you are not overclocking you can get by even with fanless cooling solutions for both the CPU and the GPU with a well designed system. And in any case, since the GPU in my system is buried deep inside a case with 1cm thick sound deadening walls, noise it makes is attenuated.

If the MacPro has a single fan and never makes any noise, all that means is that the CPU/GPU are never being stressed (or they are throttling down under stress due to inadequate cooling), since they are the same CPU and GPU used in conventional PCs and will have exactly the same thermal envelopes and cooling requirements. There is nothing special or mystical about heat exchange where Apple knows some super secret formula that people who specialize in cooling (such as Noctua) don't know anything about.
post #2501 of 2505 Old 08-29-2014, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Quote:

If the MacPro has a single fan and never makes any noise, all that means is that the CPU/GPU are never being stressed (or they are throttling down under stress due to inadequate cooling), since they are the same CPU and GPU used in conventional PCs and will have exactly the same thermal envelopes and cooling requirements. There is nothing special or mystical about heat exchange where Apple knows some super secret formula that people who specialize in cooling (such as Noctua) don't know anything about.
Of course. And moreover, we are debating now some decibels instead of debating the most important things: performance per cost, OS robustness + ease of use... Let's put things again in order: when you buy a TV, you should expect maximum picture quality in all aspects, and only then you should think about the adjacent things like media player and so on. If when you buy a computer, the first thing is the noise, it means there is a problem... that computer should perform at best and not only in one application, but in general. And of course then the design, noise, power consumption. I don't say these don't matter, but not as the most important aspect.

Edit: very well mentioned Tugela, the throttling is an aspect most people don't know about... Many devices, especially mobile devices, do this silently and since you don't have a comparison, you don't notice. I don't want to say that the Mac necessarily does this, I just say there are a lot of things to be considered. Some of them technical. If it would be a magician, then this world would be full of Macs...

Last edited by leamas; 08-29-2014 at 02:43 AM.
post #2502 of 2505 Old 08-29-2014, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Most high end low noise fans in computers run at around 13db at idle. I prefer using Noctua fans, you can check out the specs for their products on their website (www.noctua.at). Apple is not exceptional in this regard (notice they don't tell you the noise specs under load, they only tell you what they are at idle). Of course fan run faster under load if you have set them up that way and will produce more noise, but even so you are talking about 19db, thereabouts. All of my case fans run at their minimum speeds. The only exceptions are those controlled by the motherboard using thermal profiles, but even under load I have never seen the board temperature go high enough to trigger a speed increase. Some of the fans even get switched off by the motherboard because the temperature is so low and they are not making an effective contribution. I have temperature probes monitored by another fan controller to keep track of what is going off the motherboard elsewhere inside the case. My RAID card also keeps track of drive temperatures in the two sets of drive arrays in the case, so I have a pretty good idea of what is going on temperature wise. My CPU (which is a mildly overclocked 3770K running at 4.3GHZ) has never exceeded temperatures of around the low 50s even when all 8 threads are running at maximum load. The cooling system in my case is way overkill.

The only fans which make sort of significant noise are the video card fans, and those only do that when under very heavy load. And that happens pretty rarely. If you are not overclocking you can get by even with fanless cooling solutions for both the CPU and the GPU with a well designed system. And in any case, since the GPU in my system is buried deep inside a case with 1cm thick sound deadening walls, noise it makes is attenuated.

Core i7 3770K with Noctua only 13 DBA ? I don't think so.

Quote:
I just got a new Mac Pro. It's a silent black orb that hovers over your desk and just became available after a long wait at the beginning of 2014. It's an entirely new all-electronic way of computing; it is all solid-state memory with no mechanical drives like hard drives and optical drives. It's got more in common with an iPad than an old-style mechanical PC; you can't hurt it by moving it around as it works.
I'll have a lot more to say, but for now, I'm impressed that it's silent and about six times faster than my previous 2010 hex-core 3.33 GHz Mac Pro!

Well, with the new Mac Pro, waiting for things to happen is history. The new Mac Pro is the first pro desktop computer that no longer uses any mechanical memory. DVDs, Blu-Ray, CDs, hard drives, floppies and tape are all mechanical. Even optical discs get dirty, you can't move the computer around while they are working, and they are very mechanical, with servo motor systems working in at least three axes all the time. They make noise and break.

We can order the new Mac Pro with a terabyte of bulletproof memory, no problem. Imagine a PC that you can shake around and move around your desk while it's on and working, and it just doesn't care because the only moving part is one big, barely moving rotary fan.
With nothing but electronic memory for the first time, the new Mac Pro makes no noise. There is a slow fan for cooling that you can't hear more than a few inches away. Do you know why I bought my 2010 Mac Pro? 90% because my 2007 Quad G5 made so much fan noise that it sounded like a helicopter on takeoff!
I value silence. I work in a studio, not in an office. Now the loudest thing in my studio is the clock ticking. Silence is golden: time to get a new clock!

This crazy new Mac Pro is a complete change to how we used to work on a desktop. Imagine the future where computers are silent, files just move around and programs just open. One day our kids are going to laugh when we try to tell them that even as of last week that I had to wait for programs to load, for files to copy, or that computers made noise. Ha! It's not just the fans that used to be in old-style PCs, it's the hard drives. Hard drives are always crunching around, sounding like there's a rat in a can inside your PC. It's astonishing to use a computer and have not a sound, not even a hard drive clicking, as you do your work.

Know why all this impresses me so much? Maybe you're perfect, but I'm always forgetting that one last thing after I turn it off or put it to sleep. Now I can get it back up and do what I have to do, instead of putting it off until tomorrow when I bring the whole system back up again. Doing all this, and doing it silently without even so much as a hard drive crunching, is astonishing.

http://kenrockwell.com/apple/mac-pro-late-2013.htm

Last edited by jogiba; 08-29-2014 at 12:48 PM.
post #2503 of 2505 Old 08-29-2014, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
same here. been using pc for years.

worked for ibm pc compatible computer manufacturer back in the 80s' and back then Maxtor 10mb hard disk was great and 20mb (Seagate st225) was standard.

also worked for energy company back then were the executive in charge of oil exploration have specialized expansion card installed in pc bus. and run the propriatory 'gauss' software. I don't think you can do that in apple macs.

Last edited by spyker1212; 08-30-2014 at 01:14 AM.
post #2504 of 2505 Old 08-30-2014, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

worked for ibm pc compatible computer manufacturer back in the 80s' and back then Maxtor 10mb hard disk was great and 20mb (Seagate st225) was standard.

also worked for energy company back then were the executive in charge of oil exploration have specialized expansion card installed in pc bus. and run the propriatory 'gauss' software. I don't think you can do that in apple macs.
What the ....
post #2505 of 2505 Old 08-30-2014, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post

According to Wikipedia, Gauss is now available for Macs and Linux. Not something many would need, though.

Last edited by chenderson2; 08-30-2014 at 05:02 AM. Reason: wrong word
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page