post #2521 of 2545 Old 09-08-2014, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post
Apples to oranges. I don't buy that. You are comparing systems with maximum cooling running versus one with minimum cooling running, and claiming there is a significant difference.

As I said, a modern non-overclocked PC does not require any of its fans running at maximum speed. I have three desktops. A server which is completely silent, and by completely I mean completely. A second desktop which is a Dell containing a i7 920 processor - the case and cooler fans on that one are dead silent as well, the only thing that makes a noise is the graphics card which is an overclocked 7870 using a reference design, and even then it only makes a noise when the card is under maximum load. My primary computer has a 3770K overclocked processor and a 680 based graphics card with an advanced cooling solution. That computer is pretty much silent except for one of the case fans which has developed some vibration.

The new MacPro has a single fan servicing a triangular heatsink attached to the CPU and 2 graphics chips. There is nothing special about it other than having fewer fans. That means in theory it should be more quiet than a PC, BUT the fan will have run at maximum speed under load to prevent throttling whereas fans in a PC can be run at minimum speed (since they have to effect less cooling to do their job). So, all things being equal (such as overclocking and actual processors/GPUs used) they should be equivalent.

Obviously if you overclock your PC to the max you are going to have to run fans at higher speed to cool the system, but remember that the MacPro is NOT overclocked, so it is in no way under the same thermal stress. Run your PC at stock with good fans and it will be just as silent as the MacPro.
BS, show me a link to a PC with the same power as the new Mac Pro that is silent.

screenshot of malware on my Windows 8.1 PC Never seen crap like that ever on any of my Macs.
Quote:
Blue screen popped up on my computer said that my computer might be infected with a virus said I may have trace damage on my computer need to take to best buy get tech t fix my computer and I need to purchase Real Time Protection Virus from Best Buy all these for about $400-$00 but their tech could do this for less about $299....but they are all busy right now so let me see if they are able to get with you now...I smelled scam...could here several people in the background. name was given Brandon Rogers showed up tech #63

If the blue screen popped up while you were using your browser, google "browser hijack" to find possible ways to fix the problem. And, as alert-o-shill implied, run FULL malware scans.

IF you allowed the scammer to accesss your computer, they probably did one or more of the following:
• Disabled the anti-virus software
• Added nasty malware to the computer
• Copied the Contact List (so they can email your soon-to-be ex-friends)
• Copied any financial data or passwords they could find
• Compromised the ID
• "Zombied" the computer, so it would respond to THEIR commands sent via internet
• Deleted some important files
• Asked for money to repair the damage they caused

What can you do immediately after such an attack?
1. Pull the cables on the computer, so it cannot access the internet.
2. Change ALL passwords stored on the computer
3. Run FULL malware scans on the computer, in "SAFE" mode!
4. Change the passwords again, particularly if the malware scans showed anything
5. Inform your bank and credit card companies
6. Sign up for credit monitoring, and check the status frequently
7. You may have to bring the computer to a local repair shop, and tell them the story.
8. Tell friends what happened, so they can be aware of strange emails from you
9. Plug in the computer only AFTER all the above have been done
10. Change the passwords on all online accounts. Even better - access a "safe", uninfected computer, and chance your online account passwords RIGHT NOW.
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-888-604-1735

Quote:
I had a ball while using my test version and the truly unfortunate thing about it is that once I packed it up to return , I was “stuck” with what I normally use. I use a MacBook Pro and it seemed very fast until I connected that Mac Pro. Stuck is certainly a misnomer, but once you’ve driven a Veyron, I guess even a Corvette seems slower.
PROS: Screaming fast; incredible power for video editing; gorgeous design; super quiet; can support up to 3-4K monitors; lots of room for peripherals.
CONS: It isn’t cheap- but you get what you pay for.
TO SUM IT UP: If you’re in the business of video, or an office environment that requires work with large amounts of data – or even if you have deep pockets and just want the best; then you owe it to yourself to take a look at the new Mac Pro.
It’s amazingly powerful, simply beautiful to look at and the innovative fan designed to distribute the heat from inside out the top so quietly and efficiently that you have to lean over the computer to hear the fan. The design is typical Apple – modern and with a solid construction. This one’s a huge winner!
http://o.canada.com/technology/perso...ietly-stunning

Last edited by jogiba; 09-08-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2545 Old 09-08-2014, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
Speaking for myself,
I am sure getting tired hearing about that stupid Apple computer. I will NEVER buy an Apple computer so I could not care less. My 4 year old (SLOW) i7920 suits me just fine and I much rather have the choice of hundreds of programs for wathever purpose I want. And about half are probably free.

I do however care very much about the AX100, did everybody stop using it?

This is after all supposed to be a 4K CAMERA thread. And it WAS for many month!

In my nearly 10 years on AVS I have never seen a hi-jacking like this.

(I feel better already)

Eugene
Then for the love of god Why did you put in the first paragraph of your post?
To me it seems like your goal is to keep this PC/Mac thing going. Ignoring it is the only way to go and not adding gas to the fire.
post #2523 of 2545 Old 09-08-2014, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I complained to the Forum Master about this hi-jacking.

Eugene
post #2524 of 2545 Old 09-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Ok, guys, I started to roll back this thread, but I went back three pages and still didn't find any posts about the handycam. I feel sorry for a newbie looking for information on the handycam and having to sift through the past 92 posts. So, let's end the PC-vs-Mac debate NOW and focus on the topic. Granted, some discussion of video editing on different platforms is inevitable, but let's stop short of getting into a Mac-vs-PC debate.

Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #2525 of 2545 Old 09-12-2014, 06:18 PM

Motion blur is always a problem with LCD type displays. My Vizio TV has a correction for that, it is just remarkable how well it works.
The website below has a number of test patterns, including 4K to check motion blur. Some test patterns are at 30Hz, the frame rate of the AX100 and most test patterns can be adjusted.
The moving photo test is pretty impressive.
And most important it shows that a lot of motion defects are caused by the display, not the AX100.

Eugene

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates

Last edited by Eugene157; 09-12-2014 at 06:22 PM.
post #2526 of 2545 Old 09-12-2014, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I can't seem to get mine set to record in 5.1 sound mode...only 2 channel. Is it unavailable in 4k mode?
post #2527 of 2545 Old 09-12-2014, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1001 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
^ Yes, 5.1 is only available for HD shooting, not 4K.
post #2528 of 2545 Old 09-12-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Yes, 4k recording in XAVC-S currently has only PCM audio 2 channel only.
post #2529 of 2545 Old 09-13-2014, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Today i watched some of the downloaded AX100 films on my new 55" Samsung,very impressive,the color is slightly lower than the two panasonics but it looks great,so does my FZ1000,ALL 4k is good like moving from mini dv to hdv.
post #2530 of 2545 Old 09-15-2014, 08:52 AM

problem with AX100 footage, please help!

Hi all!
I rented an AX100 this weekend for an outdoor luau and got some nasty white lines in the video that occur spordically throughout the footage for a few seconds or so. Does anyone have any idea of where this came from? Originally I thought it was a malfunctioning camcorder, but another thought I had was that it could be from the camera flash that some were using to take photos with. Has anyone else had this experience? Previously I've been shooting concerts in very controlled lighting situations indoors that was done by professionals with Sony PJ790s. In each of these concerts I've never experienced the lines I'm seeing here. (Yes, people are not supposed to be taking photos w/ or w/o flash at these performances, but they do.) If anyone has some idea of what might be going on with these 4K camcorders I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!
Roxanne
post #2531 of 2545 Old 09-15-2014, 09:09 AM

Was the camera in the auto mode?. What setting were used? Were those lines visible in the viewfinder or LCD? Problem with the memory not writing fast enough? Near an airport or other radar site?

Gene

Last edited by Eugene157; 09-15-2014 at 09:13 AM.
post #2532 of 2545 Old 09-15-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Was the camera in the auto mode?. What setting were used? Were those lines visible in the viewfinder or LCD? Problem with the memory not writing fast enough? Near an airport or other radar site?

Gene
AE Shift: decrease the exposure by -.5 EV
Program Auto Exposure. shutter speed is set to 1/60
Peaking, and put the camcorder in MANUAL focus mode: adjusted focus and Iris with entire stage all in focus; gain on Auto
Nope the lines were not visible on the LCD screen. I don't think it's a memory problem...used a very fast card. I don't think we were near an airport or radar site.
Are you ruling out that it could be caused by flash?
Thanks for your help!
Roxanne
post #2533 of 2545 Old 09-15-2014, 10:13 AM

Not visible on screen, no radar. Radar would most likely been visible on the screen. That leaves the recording process, You tried playing it back on a different computer? Have you copied the files to a hard drive, perhaps PB from HDD might work? If you still have the camera make a sample recording to see if it is the memory?.

Gene
post #2534 of 2545 Old 09-15-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Not visible on screen, no radar. Radar would most likely been visible on the screen. That leaves the recording process, You tried playing it back on a different computer? Have you copied the files to a hard drive, perhaps PB from HDD might work? If you still have the camera make a sample recording to see if it is the memory?.

Gene

Hi Gene!
Had to return the camera today. I took some other footage and it didn't show up so I don't know what is going on. I will try using the card on another computer and try your hard drive suggestion.
Thanks!
Roxanne
post #2535 of 2545 Old 09-15-2014, 11:55 AM

Hi all,
I have this posted on private on youtube and realized I could get a screen capture off of it. It's only a flash so it took me several tries to get it. It is the white line on the top...but they occur all over the place...bottom. middle..it's random.
I appreciate your help.
Roxanne

trying to post a frame capture, but can't figure it out...pasting it in here doesn't work. help.

Last edited by atsuko1967; 09-15-2014 at 11:58 AM. Reason: ugh can't add pic
post #2536 of 2545 Old 09-15-2014, 12:09 PM

You have to post the YouTube address.

It would be nice to put your memory back into the AX100 and check the playback.

Last edited by Eugene157; 09-15-2014 at 12:27 PM.
post #2537 of 2545 Old 09-15-2014, 12:46 PM

sorry, I can't post the Youtube link because our Kumu doesn't want everyone looking at the footage. Maybe I can do a small clip though. Is there no way to just post a jpg?

That is something we did try before returning the unit and in the playback from the camcorder/card we saw the same lines. Guess that means it's in the recording...just trying to figure out why.
post #2538 of 2545 Old 09-15-2014, 01:36 PM

I guess that is it then, if it is there for one frame only, it might be possible to edit out.

I remember that this problem had surfaced before.

Good luck

Eugene
post #2539 of 2545 Old 09-17-2014, 02:19 PM

The long awaited Vizio P series are showing up in stores including Costco.

Gene
post #2540 of 2545 Old 09-17-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteypab2133 View Post
Want to get a new Nikon D810 and this is something I thought I would use more of..

if you love to take photos instead of video, then ax100 is not for you. I have sony rx100, and I use it to take picture n not video.

note: I have the Nikon 300s w lots of lens, sony vg10 and they are all sitting in the shelf.
post #2541 of 2545 Old Yesterday, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosh9k View Post
Yes, I do get this frequently on my 4K videos (I watch them on HD monitor). Not only with trees but also with rich architectural details. I am not sure anything can be done about that, without reducing the sharpness. I attempted to fix this with Adobe Premiere Pro CC Anti-Flicker effect, didn't work

Someone can suggest tip how to resolve this?
Just noticed this (now old ) post.
yes..it's true..it's a sharpness issue related to contrast and exposure settings both on cam or in post,and only when panning/tilting is involved..not a static shot.
I can't solve the thing in the Sony editor which came with the cam at all,overall useless crap.

Here's my way of doing it.
First..I convert the original cam files to avi using cineform codec.
This codec uses meta info and is the way to go for editing files where others stop.
Those avi files I bring in to gopro studio,and bring down sharpness..bring up contrast,and play with exposure settings..the prob is then solved.

After that I export the files in gopro studio for archive and further editing in highest quality.

Then..I bring in those files into the Sony editor and add sound on the timeline.
After all this I make the final file in the Sony editor..picture and sound.
The results are great..smooth panning/tilting..no artifacts..cristal clear 4k footage.
Hope this helps..anyone.

Oh..and yes..you need the gopro studio to do it.
it's the only one able to correct these issues..no other.
milosh9k likes this.
post #2542 of 2545 Old Yesterday, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by jan dijkgraaff View Post
Just noticed this (now old ) post.
yes..it's true..it's a sharpness issue related to contrast and exposure settings both on cam or in post,and only when panning/tilting is involved..not a static shot.
I can't solve the thing in the Sony editor which came with the cam at all,overall useless crap.

Here's my way of doing it.
First..I convert the original cam files to avi using cineform codec.
This codec uses meta info and is the way to go for editing files where others stop.
Those avi files I bring in to gopro studio,and bring down sharpness..bring up contrast,and play with exposure settings..the prob is then solved.

After that I export the files in gopro studio for archive and further editing in highest quality.

Then..I bring in those files into the Sony editor and add sound on the timeline.
After all this I make the final file in the Sony editor..picture and sound.
The results are great..smooth panning/tilting..no artifacts..cristal clear 4k footage.
Hope this helps..anyone.

Oh..and yes..you need the gopro studio to do it.
it's the only one able to correct these issues..no other.

Thank you for this tip. However, to call Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 (the editor that comes free with the Sony AX100) useless because YOU were unable to "bring down sharpness..bring up contrast,and play with exposure settings" in it but could in GoPro Studio tells us you have expertise in one editor and not the other. Sony HMSP has essentially the same controls as Sony Vegas Pro, which is used by video professionals. And it has sharpness, contrast and exposure settings among many other controls. I am not saying it is better than your favored editor but in no way is it inferior, and it does not need the wasteful (and quality-reducing) additional step to an intermediate codec required by the one you use.

For those who get this camera, I would advise learning SHMS and using it. The tip about making use of the contrast and sharpness controls may be useful if you see artifacts.
spyker1212 likes this.
post #2543 of 2545 Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
Thank you for this tip. However, to call Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 (the editor that comes free with the Sony AX100) useless because YOU were unable to "bring down sharpness..bring up contrast,and play with exposure settings" in it but could in GoPro Studio tells us you have expertise in one editor and not the other. Sony HMSP has essentially the same controls as Sony Vegas Pro, which is used by video professionals. And it has sharpness, contrast and exposure settings among many other controls.
Unfortunately Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 does NOT come free with AX100, or maybe it did for a short time after the release of the cam. When I got AX100 it came with PlayMemories Home, which I think is the software jan dijkgraaff called useless and I agree 100%. It cannot even cut the clip at specified frame, but selects frame that could be a second away from the one you need. I can try jan's tip with Adobe Premiere CC as I do not have GoPro Studio.

markr041, if you know how to get Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 for free (for the AX100 owners) please let us know.
Thanks!
post #2544 of 2545 Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosh9k View Post
Unfortunately Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 does NOT come free with AX100, or maybe it did for a short time after the release of the cam. When I got AX100 it came with PlayMemories Home, which I think is the software jan dijkgraaff called useless and I agree 100%. It cannot even cut the clip at specified frame, but selects frame that could be a second away from the one you need. I can try jan's tip with Adobe Premiere CC as I do not have GoPro Studio.

markr041, if you know how to get Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 for free (for the AX100 owners) please let us know.
Thanks!

There was a coupon in the box for a free download of Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13. This was in the US. I agree that Play Memories Home is useless for the type of editing discussed. But the recommended fix using intermediate codecs is not necessary with SMSP13, which is in any case not very expensive if for some reason someone threw away the offer slip or it was not offered in some countries.
milosh9k likes this.
post #2545 of 2545 Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
There was a coupon in the box for a free download of Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13. This was in the US. I agree that Play Memories Home is useless for the type of editing discussed. But the recommended fix using intermediate codecs is not necessary with SMSP13, which is in any case not very expensive if for some reason someone threw away the offer slip or it was not offered in some countries.
Thank you! I got my AX100 in US 4.5 months ago. Just opened the old box and there, between stack of offers(that I usually ignore) was the code to download for free SMSP13! Downloaded and installed Thanks again!
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page