post #2611 of 2633 Old 10-14-2014, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by air7walk View Post
Ok, two things:

1. Thank you for responding -- that's exactly what I wanted to see!
2. Darn you for responding -- now I have to drop $2200!!!

It looks like there's some confusion in the comments about which thread size to get for that Raynox.. I THINK, given the data out there, I'd want the 62mm version I believe.
A few relevant links borrowed from a thread on another board.

http://www.raynox.co.jp/english/vide..._FDR_AX100.pdf

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ide_Angle.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2633 Old 10-14-2014, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just want to say thanks to hatchback and AJInstitute -- I made the leap and ordered the camera, the Raynox, and a really fast 64 gig memory card. I CAN'T WAIT TIL THURSDAY!
post #2613 of 2633 Old 10-15-2014, 01:23 PM

Hello AX100 superstars One other question -- I'm going to be editing on a newer iMac using Adobe Premiere Pro CC (I have the Adobe cloud subscription because I also do photo editing with lightroom). Will I be able to use the footage directly from my AX100 with Premiere, or will I need an additional program to convert the files to something Premiere can read?
post #2614 of 2633 Old 10-15-2014, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Congrats on the acquisition!

Premier Pro CC should handle the footage with no problem.
post #2615 of 2633 Old 10-16-2014, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
http://youtu.be/7l1AMvJjDj8?list=UUG...ki9lc3psdlCiJg
Here is some more AX100 video for you to enjoy. I made this on my trip in September and October. I edited it with Final Cut Pro X. You will notice that I employed the "Tripod Mode" extensively. Even using the grid lines, I still can't seem to keep the camera steady.
post #2616 of 2633 Old 10-16-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post
For those who might be interested, here is a 73 second video I shot with the AX100 yesterday.
Something a bit different. And yes I added some filters in post in Sony Vegas.
https://vimeo.com/108855399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post
1. CMOS sensor + handheld + software stabilization = jello
2. PVC dolly?
Good eye Ungermann.

There is a bit of wobble going on in the first couple of shots.

I was having some issues with the PVC dolly track that day. Used Twixtor in the first couple of shots for the super slo-mo, no software stabilization used.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #2617 of 2633 Old 10-17-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenderson2 View Post
http://youtu.be/7l1AMvJjDj8?list=UUG...ki9lc3psdlCiJg
Here is some more AX100 video for you to enjoy. I made this on my trip in September and October. I edited it with Final Cut Pro X. You will notice that I employed the "Tripod Mode" extensively. Even using the grid lines, I still can't seem to keep the camera steady.
Very nicely put together you must have had a blast. Bringing the cows down from the Alm ages ago I helped the farmers do it.

What mode was most of it shot, auto?

Any exposure +/- ?

External mike ?

Tripod or monopod?

How do you play it on your Sony set..I was going to buy a VIZIO P 70" TV but their USB input will only accept 4K 265 HEVC ! Takes about 50 min to convert from 4K 264 to 265 HEVC for 1 minute of video.

So I will wait to see what the 2015 CES has to offer.

Thanks for putting that on.

Eugene
post #2618 of 2633 Old 10-17-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
Very nicely put together you must have had a blast. Bringing the cows down from the Alm ages ago I helped the farmers do it.

What mode was most of it shot, auto? Almost all was shot with -.2 to -.7 EV. Some scenes with moving water and with the 50cps artificial lights over there were shot at a shutter speed of 50. I also sometimes manually set the ND filter.

Any exposure +/- ? Usually a negative value.

External mike ? Only when shooting live bands.

Tripod or monopod? Neither.

How do you play it on your Sony set..I was going to buy a VIZIO P 70" TV but their USB input will only accept 4K 265 HEVC ! Takes about 50 min to convert from 4K 264 to 265 HEVC for 1 minute of video. Two ways. I either hook up the MacBookPro with the HDMI cable, or use the Android based player that I bought from China based on another user's suggestion.

So I will wait to see what the 2015 CES has to offer.

Thanks for putting that on.

Eugene
See my above answers in blue.
post #2619 of 2633 Old 10-17-2014, 07:56 PM

Android based player

Can you elaborate on that please.

Eugene

post #2620 of 2633 Old 10-17-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Android based player

Can you elaborate on that please.

Eugene

See this thread. Playing 4K Videos on 4K Monitors and TV's
This is the player that I purchased second. First I bought one advertised on Amazon and sold in California. It did not work. I don't know for sure whether I had a faulty unit or if all of them do not work. Amazon refunded my money with their A to Z guarantee, since the company was not responding to our communications. The new box, the Probox2 EX (http://probox2.com/probox2-ex/) does work, although still a bit flaky, and accomplishes the purpose.
You see Sony, as well as other companies, have released UHD (4K) TVs that have no way in which to play 4k content, other than via the HDMI input and no Blu-ray players or any other devices at present will actually play 4k video from a SD card or thumb drive. So, enter the Android based players like the Probox2, They use Android (Google) apps, like on Android phones and tablets to play the videos and read the high capacity SD cards. Then the video is played via the HDMI cable to your UHD TV.
post #2621 of 2633 Old 10-18-2014, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The Swedish version of the budget Sony KDL-55X8505 UHD TV plays my 100Mbps UHD MP4 25p files via USB smoother than my new Pc with the new Haswell processor and Asus GTX970 card with HDMI 2.0. It has the WMP and XBOX players installed with Windows 8.1. In spite of the HDMI 2.0 I canĀ“t make the card 50 or 60 Hz, only 25Hz or lower...Sorry if this is off topic.
post #2622 of 2633 Old 10-18-2014, 06:05 PM

Thank you Chenderson

Interesting reading.

I will now wait until the next CES to see what comes up. My plan was to get the 70 P from Vizio but that went up in smoke since it will play only HEVC 4K files.

The CES will most likely have some 4K BD players and it is likely that they also have USB ports to do what Vizio can not.

Gene
post #2623 of 2633 Old 10-19-2014, 08:54 PM

Hey guys! ONE MORE QUESTION: When I bought my Canon 70D DSLR, there was a book on Amazon.com called "The Canon 70D Experience" -- it was basically a more beefed up manual with examples. Does anything like that exist for the AX100? I'm mainly concerned about how to optimize my video settings for 4K (or the setting below at 60 fps), and when to use what mode, etc.. basically looking for a settings guide!!
post #2624 of 2633 Old 10-22-2014, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Did anybody try an Android-based 4K player with clips from this camera? I am thinking about getting such a device but I am afraid I will end up in all kinds of configurations issues / bugs with Android.
post #2625 of 2633 Old 10-22-2014, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by leamas View Post
Did anybody try an Android-based 4K player with clips from this camera? I am thinking about getting such a device but I am afraid I will end up in all kinds of configurations issues / bugs with Android.

Yes, see this: Playing 4K Videos on 4K Monitors and TV's
post #2626 of 2633 Old 10-22-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Mark, in watching the video on the ProBox website, the reviewer mentions a 'few bugs in 4K playback since it's an alpha version'. Do you know what those are and have you encountered any?
post #2627 of 2633 Old 10-22-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Mark, in watching the video on the ProBox website, the reviewer mentions a 'few bugs in 4K playback since it's an alpha version'. Do you know what those are and have you encountered any?

I have experienced no bugs using the PROBOX2 EX . Plays my 100+Mbps XAVC S 4K files fine on my 39" 4K TV and my 4K Dell monitor. Remember, the Samsung Galaxy S5 (same Android operating system) plays those same files easily also, albeit on a small 1080 screen, using the same software video players. The only difference is that the box outputs 4K (at 30p) through HDMI.

Last edited by markr041; 10-22-2014 at 07:16 AM.
post #2628 of 2633 Old 10-22-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1211 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
Thanks Mark. Just ordered one. This actually eliminates the need for me creating two projects (HD & 4K) from my editing program. Since the PROBOX plays 4K and outputs to HD when it sees an HDTV, I'll only need to create 1 4K project and be done with it.

That's a more elegant solution than creating a separate HD project so that I can play it on my BluRay player.
post #2629 of 2633 Old 10-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by air7walk View Post
I just want to say thanks to hatchback and AJInstitute -- I made the leap and ordered the camera, the Raynox, and a really fast 64 gig memory card. I CAN'T WAIT TIL THURSDAY!
You're very welcome. Please post clips when you get your camera + raynox!
post #2630 of 2633 Old Yesterday, 01:15 AM

Liked: 12
I really need some helpful advice please.

I am very interested in this camcorder and the 4K recording. I currently have the Panasonic HC-x920M and record at 1080/50p and use Pinnacle Studio 16 to edit this footage and put it onto Blu Ray with excellent results.

I am now wanting to ensure that all my recording is done at the highest resolution = 4K, but am not sure of facts to my following questions.

1) Having filmed at 4K does the camcorder or software program that comes with it allow me to downrez to 1080/50p so I can use the Pinnacle Studio to edit it and put it on to Blu Ray. I would still want to keep the original 4K data. because Pinnacle do have a new version Studio 18 which says it can now edit 4K.

2) Will I be able to view the content filmed in glorious 4K on my LG 84LM9600 4K tv in glorious $K. It is nearly a year old. Of course I would plug the HDMI cable from the camera the the HDMI input.

I really do not want to get this camera if I am unable to see my 4K filming so I am hoping for the best here.

Thank you all
post #2631 of 2633 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwatt View Post
I really need some helpful advice please.

I am very interested in this camcorder and the 4K recording. I currently have the Panasonic HC-x920M and record at 1080/50p and use Pinnacle Studio 16 to edit this footage and put it onto Blu Ray with excellent results.

I am now wanting to ensure that all my recording is done at the highest resolution = 4K, but am not sure of facts to my following questions.

1) Having filmed at 4K does the camcorder or software program that comes with it allow me to downrez to 1080/50p so I can use the Pinnacle Studio to edit it and put it on to Blu Ray. I would still want to keep the original 4K data. because Pinnacle do have a new version Studio 18 which says it can now edit 4K.

2) Will I be able to view the content filmed in glorious 4K on my LG 84LM9600 4K tv in glorious $K. It is nearly a year old. Of course I would plug the HDMI cable from the camera the the HDMI input.

I really do not want to get this camera if I am unable to see my 4K filming so I am hoping for the best here.

Thank you all
I have used Pinnacle for over 12 years, deleted the last version from my computer about 2 weeks ago.Stopped using it about 2 years ago.

Using Power Director 13 and love it, very reasonable priced and the use of proxy editing allows the use of slower computers.Also it will use the original video if no titles, transitions, etc are used. In other words no rendering.

Mine is a 4 year old i7920 and 4K editing is very smooth but their "shadow files" must be used. My longest 4K video is 90 min.!!

Forget the Sony software that came with the unit, bare bones only, most owners agree to that.

PD13 does a great job reducing 4K to HD no noticeable artifacts as long as the bit rate is kept to the highest allowed.

All editing is done in 4K, that is a must, then saved on a HDD or USB stick. Or burned to BD but a 4K edited copy must be saved.

PD13 has 265 HEVC encoding available so it is future proof once optical 4K arrives.It is however, due to the extreme compression, very time consuming when using the highest PQ, did a 12 min video last night, took app 12 hours!!.

Any way, my videos are all future proof now, the best quality ever, ( the low light quality much better than the X900) and my Panasonic X900 was sold on EBay a few month ago. Was sorry to see it go, it had the best stabilizer I ever owned.

Hope this helps a bit

Edit: to see it on your 4K TV depends on the decoders available on the USB port, some 2013 models will not handle 4K 264 MP4 3820x2160. Just download some UTUBE 4K onto a USB stick and you will know. Some users on this thread have better experience there. Or use HDMI from your computer. My AX100 at least will NOT play edited video even in the same format.

Here is a good example

Eugene

Last edited by Eugene157; Yesterday at 12:08 PM.
post #2632 of 2633 Old Today, 01:10 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
I have used Pinnacle for over 12 years, deleted the last version from my computer about 2 weeks ago.Stopped using it about 2 years ago.

Using Power Director 13 and love it, very reasonable priced and the use of proxy editing allows the use of slower computers.Also it will use the original video if no titles, transitions, etc are used. In other words no rendering.

Mine is a 4 year old i7920 and 4K editing is very smooth but their "shadow files" must be used. My longest 4K video is 90 min.!!

Forget the Sony software that came with the unit, bare bones only, most owners agree to that.

PD13 does a great job reducing 4K to HD no noticeable artifacts as long as the bit rate is kept to the highest allowed.

All editing is done in 4K, that is a must, then saved on a HDD or USB stick. Or burned to BD but a 4K edited copy must be saved.

PD13 has 265 HEVC encoding available so it is future proof once optical 4K arrives.It is however, due to the extreme compression, very time consuming when using the highest PQ, did a 12 min video last night, took app 12 hours!!.

Any way, my videos are all future proof now, the best quality ever, ( the low light quality much better than the X900) and my Panasonic X900 was sold on EBay a few month ago. Was sorry to see it go, it had the best stabilizer I ever owned.

Hope this helps a bit

Edit: to see it on your 4K TV depends on the decoders available on the USB port, some 2013 models will not handle 4K 264 MP4 3820x2160. Just download some UTUBE 4K onto a USB stick and you will know. Some users on this thread have better experience there. Or use HDMI from your computer. My AX100 at least will NOT play edited video even in the same format.

Here is a good example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz6RxJtS8Kc

Eugene
Thank you for your helpful facts & advice. It is very much appreciated.

I would be keen to try Power Director 13 and I wonder how that compares to the new Pinnacle Studio 18.?
One thing I always did not understand / like is when edited in 1080/50p I had no idea how that edit could be saved properly mmmmm as a file /s like the original.
Does PD 13 do it differently / better.?

When I first got the tv there were a few 4K demos on the internet that played really great through the internet that the tv can access and I definitely thought they were 4K because they sample had to keep loading every few seconds etc. I think at the time they may have been you tube, but now I cannot seem to find the 4K version although it says 4K, it definately is not. I cannot seem to now find ANY definate 4K content to try through loading onto a USB.

Will the 4K content filmed play on the 4K tv through the HDMI I wonder.?

Once again,, thanks for all your help .
post #2633 of 2633 Old Today, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwatt View Post
Thank you for your helpful facts & advice. It is very much appreciated.

I would be keen to try Power Director 13 and I wonder how that compares to the new Pinnacle Studio 18.?
One thing I always did not understand / like is when edited in 1080/50p I had no idea how that edit could be saved properly mmmmm as a file /s like the original.
Does PD 13 do it differently / better.?

When I first got the tv there were a few 4K demos on the internet that played really great through the internet that the tv can access and I definitely thought they were 4K because they sample had to keep loading every few seconds etc. I think at the time they may have been you tube, but now I cannot seem to find the 4K version although it says 4K, it definately is not. I cannot seem to now find ANY definate 4K content to try through loading onto a USB.

Will the 4K content filmed play on the 4K tv through the HDMI I wonder.?

Once again,, thanks for all your help .
Try to get a hold of CHENDERSON, he has been down this road and knows what to do. He has some useful info for you on this page.

As mentioned, my camera at least will not play edited 4K XAVC-S material, so Chendersons solution , using an external player, should do it.

Besides I never use a camcorder for routine play back.

Download a sample version of PD to get some feel for the software, but the sample may not work with 4K. PD13 will burn 60P HD BD from 4K timeline input.

PD11, nearly 2 years old, already provided 4k editing.

Eugene
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page