AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chiu View Post
Bill,

Your granddaughter and her friends put on an interesting show. I watched it to the end. I wished you had a better vantage point as well as the entire program.

I know about the policies and politics of schools, parents groups and theater programs. Like you, I enjoy both watching and filming family and friends acting out their dreams. Over the years, this has been my hobby. It really takes the stress off.

For your next show, try talking with a few parents especially those with kids in the program to allow you to officially film using a tripod and multiple cameras in the back, front and upstairs. Offer them a simple online delivery for free. Maybe they will latch on to your idea and you have freedom to team up with parents to produce a more finished documentary of these special moments.

Whenever I approach a new school, I simply show them links of what I have done with another school. Then I start recruiting eager parents.

Cheers,

William
As you were typing I was thinking I was hijacking the purpose and intent of your post. So, I edited out what I thought was irrelevant. Since you quoted it, it's there anyway. Forum can have confusion. Right?

I want to emphasis that I've not seen video anywhere of school age performances that is done as well as you do.

Thank you for the compliment. The show was extraordinary for a Junior High School performance. As a comedy, there was significant laughter from the crowd and standing ovations at all four performances. Although not allowed to shoot video I put my GX7 on burst and got 1400 examples of constant acting from expressions, eyes and body language. I can only hope the guy with the old SD JVC camcorder captured some of it.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 2706 Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I don't think there have been any underwater examples here of the AX100.

post #2703 of 2706 Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Chiu View Post
Thanks Ken.

The FZ1000 struggled because my partner cannot see with two spotlights operating to her left and right. It also made her not able to dial in the proper EV at that higher vantage point. I think -1.66 would have worked better.

I set both GH4 and FZ1000 at single point AF, fattening that point to pretty much the center portion of the screen. As long as the Panasonic were panned having action within that center zone, the AF of either cameras did not miss. No face or object tracking were set on with the Panasonic.

The AX100 never missed AF. The only times where it did were from total darkness to having some assets popping into a spotlight. As long as there were some pilot light, like a guitar light, the AX100 AF engine was ready.

You could also see that the AX100 has better smoothness tracking the front and back movements in the first portion than the Panasonic for the top and last portions. I do not know why this is. All cameras were operating at 30 FPS, and the Panasonic supposed to have higher bit rates.
Having the LX100 for several days, as much as I like the video quality, it does make you appreciate a camcorder's autofocus. There is nothing like it. While the LX100 is actually the best I've used in terms of AF for a camera of its type, you absolutely need to be far more careful with focusing with these compact cameras/DSLRs we use for video and use the focusing tools they provide.
post #2704 of 2706 Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Wow. I was at a wedding helping out last Saturday. I acquired footage using the LX100 too as Amazon sent it the day before.
I shot at ISO800 -1EV and white balanced with the bride's gown.
Because of the school musical and symphonic works, I will have to edit the LX100 material later.
I did notice that the zooming knob on the LX100 is far better than the one on the FZ1000.

You are 200% right, the AX100 AF is superior to all three of my Panasonics. I even venture to say that the zooming on the AX100 is superior too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Having the LX100 for several days, as much as I like the video quality, it does make you appreciate a camcorder's autofocus. There is nothing like it. While the LX100 is actually the best I've used in terms of AF for a camera of its type, you absolutely need to be far more careful with focusing with these compact cameras/DSLRs we use for video and use the focusing tools they provide.
post #2705 of 2706 Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Billy, I'm really liking the LX100's video and it's the first camera that I might grab over the AX100 where a long zoom isn't necessary. As smooth as the LX100's zoom is, the absence of a parfocal lens makes zooming during a clip, a pretty dicey affair. I'd typically edit out the zoom during the clip, but on occasion I do like starting a clip off fully zoomed and then gradually pulling back for a bit of 'drama'. I find this particularly effective for some scenics.

I'd be curious to hear your reaction to your LX100 video.
post #2706 of 2706 Old Today, 07:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
I don't think there have been any underwater examples here of the AX100.
very nice
Reply Camcorders