Sony 4K Handycam FDR-AX100 thread - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 115Likes
post #2881 of 3475 Old 01-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post
I shot some 4k clips using my Samsung note 4 phone. How do I play multiple clips in a seemless manner? That is to say there is no break in between clips. Could this be achieved if I transfer to a hardisk and use a pc which I believe should be no problem. Just use media player classic and select all clips at one go to play seemlessly right? How bout using a media player like pro box can it be done in order to play separate clips in a seemless manner? What is the minimum requirement to setup a pc? i5, i7, gtx card, amd r7 etc?

These are free players that will do 4K IF your computer is fast enough

But you need to edit, I use Power Director 13

GOM Player, I like it best
VLC Player
Pot Player
Media Player Classic HC , second best. Download the beta 4K version

Good luck

I just returned the Probox2 EX, not ready for 4K prime time. It only played 4K AX100 files after editing to 4K MP4 264. Original AX100 files played like a slide show.

Eugene

Last edited by Eugene157; 01-11-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 3475 Old 01-11-2015, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Requested help with my previous post, believing there are many knowledgeable folk on this forum. Yet, not a single answer to my exposure question: In Manual mode I have set the shutter speed to 50 (Pal land), the gain to 0db and iris to 5.6 or 8.
I then apply an ND filter to obtain a balanced image. I have the ND switched to Manual, and depending on the scene, switch to ND1 or ND2.
(I thought the ND icon is supposed to flash to tell me if my ND setting is correct, but it does not). Anyway, I am finding that if I adjust so that the clouds are not blown out, then the landscape is under exposed. If I adjust for the landscape, then the sky is blown out.
So I'm thinking I need a graduated filter to darken the sky yet keep the lower landscape at acceptable levels. If this is correct, can someone suggest a good quality filter (maybe with a link). And should this be a grey colour, or green, similar to sunglasses ?
post #2883 of 3475 Old 01-11-2015, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzazen View Post
Requested help with my previous post, believing there are many knowledgeable folk on this forum. Yet, not a single answer to my exposure question: In Manual mode I have set the shutter speed to 50 (Pal land), the gain to 0db and iris to 5.6 or 8.
I then apply an ND filter to obtain a balanced image. I have the ND switched to Manual, and depending on the scene, switch to ND1 or ND2.
(I thought the ND icon is supposed to flash to tell me if my ND setting is correct, but it does not). Anyway, I am finding that if I adjust so that the clouds are not blown out, then the landscape is under exposed. If I adjust for the landscape, then the sky is blown out.
So I'm thinking I need a graduated filter to darken the sky yet keep the lower landscape at acceptable levels. If this is correct, can someone suggest a good quality filter (maybe with a link). And should this be a grey colour, or green, similar to sunglasses ?
It would be ideal to use a graduated filter for some conditions. In general expose for your subject and sometimes let the sky over-expose. Or under-expose slightly on your subject and correct in post-production. I use Sony Movie Studio Platinum. I would love to see a tutorial on implementing a graduated neutral density filter in post production.

Last edited by James Jimmy; 01-11-2015 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Fixing typo
post #2884 of 3475 Old 01-12-2015, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
FYI, the icon flashes when the camcorder thinks you have the ND set improperly.
post #2885 of 3475 Old 01-12-2015, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Red face

Quote:
Hi bazzazen, I am not too sure if an external filter will reduce the 4k image quality. The ND filter work on manual mode and it flashes if the setting is incorrect. I have tried it on really bright white environment,
above the clouds with color temperature above 10k, iris <5.6, ND2/N3, shutter speed 50. Zebra settings at 95 to check for exposure issue. I guess you can increase the shutter speed to 100 if it is still too bright.

Last edited by Will Dylan; 01-12-2015 at 06:01 PM.
post #2886 of 3475 Old 01-13-2015, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Since the camera tends to overexpose a bit outdoors, I gennerally set exposure to -1/3 stop below what the camera defaults to. Using the zebra stripes will let you know if your subject's exposure is on target.
How does the camera overexpose by default, is it not showing 0 EV?
post #2887 of 3475 Old 01-15-2015, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Since my AX100 arrived I have really been unable to get into it due to family problems, as we all have from time to time.
Anyway started back with it now & wow, it really does deliver the goods compared to my Pana 920 1080/50p.

Eugene, I am sure you are the expert here lol as follows -
I see that mention of a firmware update soon so that it will do 100Mbps when recording 4K. Are there any further benefits to this other than "better" resolution?. As now a keen user of PD 13 how will this benefit us when the limitation
of the editing in XAVC S 4K is at 60Mbps, ?

I notice that PD 13 can do the HEVC 4K 4K which sets the edit at a much lower bitrate resulting in less HDD space, but is this a better option for archive i wonder.

I must learn now how to get them dam clouds looking good.
post #2888 of 3475 Old 01-15-2015, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwatt View Post
Since my AX100 arrived I have really been unable to get into it due to family problems, as we all have from time to time.
Anyway started back with it now & wow, it really does deliver the goods compared to my Pana 920 1080/50p.

I see that mention of a firmware update soon so that it will do 100Mbps when recording 4K. Are there any further benefits to this other than "better" resolution?. As now a keen user of PD 13 how will this benefit us when the limitation

I notice that PD 13 can do the HEVC 4K 4K which sets the edit at a much lower bitrate resulting in less HDD space, but is this a better option for archive i wonder.

I've heard nothing about 100MBbps and doubt a firmware update can accomplish that. May I suggest you try using a polarizing filter for the clouds.
post #2889 of 3475 Old 01-15-2015, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenderson2 View Post
Quote:

I've heard nothing about 100MBbps and doubt a firmware update can accomplish that. May I suggest you try using a polarizing filter for the clouds.
Read at the bottom of this press release.

"FDR-AX100 firmware update
The FDR-AX100 will also support XAVC S 4K 100Mbps high-bitrate recording through a firmware update scheduled for March 2015."

http://presscentre.sony.eu/pressrele...m-sony-1103109
post #2890 of 3475 Old 01-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wish!!

The 100Mb update will come in handy, hope that all of my SD cards can handle that, especially after 50% or more filled. Absolute resolution is not affected but motion resolution can improve.

Storage is cheap, HEVC at 4K is so slow as to make it unusable. It took about 4 days to convert a 90 min 4K 264 to 4K 265 HEVC in the HQ mode. However it does look pretty good, no obvious artifacts .But the space saving is 30% at best, using the PD13 or handbrake software. Handbrake does a very good job with 4K HEVC.

I have an array of 4 HDD in a USB3 box and store all my videos there including the original footage.

We may have to use the HEVC format once 4K BR comes around.Hopefully they include some less compressed options.

I still shoot only in auto mode, but now and then I wind up with some slightly overexposed footage.

Eugene

Last edited by Eugene157; 01-15-2015 at 10:30 AM.
post #2891 of 3475 Old 01-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Dylan View Post
Hi bazzazen, I am not too sure if an external filter will reduce the 4k image quality. The ND filter work on manual mode and it flashes if the setting is incorrect. I have tried it on really bright white environment, http://youtu.be/WpAfNmidOmI above the clouds with color temperature above 10k, iris <5.6, ND2/N3, shutter speed 50. Zebra settings at 95 to check for exposure issue. I guess you can increase the shutter speed to 100 if it is still too bright.
I am looking for my jaw that is on the floor somewhere.

Eugene
Will Dylan likes this.

Last edited by Eugene157; 01-15-2015 at 10:42 AM.
post #2892 of 3475 Old 01-15-2015, 06:16 PM

I have some SDXC UHS speed class 1 card but they could be obsolete soon

The Sony press link; XAVC S 4K 100mbs requires min SDXC UHS Speed Class 3 SD card.

Last edited by Will Dylan; 01-15-2015 at 06:30 PM.
post #2893 of 3475 Old 01-15-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:

The Sony press link; XAVC S 4K 100mbs requires min SDXC UHS Speed Class 3 SD card.

Over here in Australia the Sony SDXC UHS Speed Class 3 SD cards are well over $120 each !!! Shock Horror.

So I just ordered 2 from B&H for $39.95 each. I would rather stick to Sony just in case probs arise so Sony cant pass on the blame.

Yep, come to sunny Australia and pay 3 TIMES the price.
post #2894 of 3475 Old 01-16-2015, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

I think we should wait for the firmware update. Press releases and manuals often offer inaccurate information due to the fact that technical changes are not always in sync with written specifications. 100 Mbps is ~12 MBps so I think a theoretic peak of 16 MBps will be the maximum required transfer speed.
post #2895 of 3475 Old 01-16-2015, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Not even sure if I will bother with it, the 60Mb has been more than adequate for me. Perhaps because I almost never pan or zoom.
That includes shots of moving water, like breakers on shore, ships bow wave, all high data scenes, never seen any pixellation or other defects there.
And additional space usage, editor slowdown, player load etc.

Time will tell

Eugene
post #2896 of 3475 Old 01-16-2015, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I don't have the same camera. My Panasonic LX100 says it records at 100Mbps. The first few days I had the camera I didn't have a U3 card and used a Class 10 card I had. The camera worked fine. Now that I have the faster U3 card, I see no change in performance.

My understanding is that cameras first record to memory, or a "buffer", and then transfer to the SD card. My theory is that since I was shooting short clips, the camera had plenty of time to move the clips to the card. I didn't test it, but if I had been trying to record 10 or 20 minute clips, it may be that the SD card would not keep up, the buffer would be filled and recording would stop.

Depending on what your shooting style is, you many not absolutely need the fast cards.

I don't think 64GB cards are necessary either. My book says a 32GB card will hold 40 minutes of 4K at 100Mbps. Unless you're shooting a show, play or lecture, 40 minutes is a lot of short clips. If I came back from a weekend of shooting with 40 minutes of footage for a 5 minute video, I would be overwhelmed. I am an amateur that does this for fun. Editing 40 minutes down to 5 would be a lot like work.

Bill

Last edited by bsprague; 01-16-2015 at 09:55 AM.
post #2897 of 3475 Old 01-16-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene157 View Post
Not even sure if I will bother with it, the 60Mb has been more than adequate for me. Perhaps because I almost never pan or zoom.
That includes shots of moving water, like breakers on shore, ships bow wave, all high data scenes, never seen any pixellation or other defects there.
And additional space usage, editor slowdown, player load etc.

Time will tell

Eugene
Eugene, just a small remark. Bigger bitrate = less compression therefore faster editing. And faster decompression (play). This is in theory. In practice we should check. But I think it is worth to have the choice to use 100 Mbps, at least when really needed.
post #2898 of 3475 Old 01-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by leamas View Post
Eugene, just a small remark. Bigger bitrate = less compression therefore faster editing. And faster decompression (play). This is in theory. In practice we should check. But I think it is worth to have the choice to use 100 Mbps, at least when really needed.
This is not true. The speed of decompression depends almost exclusively on the codec (ie., the instructions on how to interpret the bit stream). the 100Mbps and 60Mbps options will have the same codec so they will have essentially the same decompression speed.
post #2899 of 3475 Old 01-16-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchback View Post
This is not true. The speed of decompression depends almost exclusively on the codec (ie., the instructions on how to interpret the bit stream). the 100Mbps and 60Mbps options will have the same codec so they will have essentially the same decompression speed.
As a some of my filming involves lots of grandchildren playing, panning is a necessary for me so anything that helps with that, like 100Mbps I will want to use so bring it on.

As Eugene quoted above, Storage is cheap so why not use the best to get the best.
post #2900 of 3475 Old 01-16-2015, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the inputs regarding bit rate, classic example to show the usefulness of the forum!

JGWatt, I know what you mean, I have my kids, theirs and now a great grandchild filmed, taped etc.
Starting with 8mm and the last one in UHD !!. You will enjoy it and they will thank you when they show them to their own.

As far as panning, your biggest problem may unfortunately just be the 30FPS.

Still wonder how the BR people get smooth motion at 24FPS.

Thanks

Eugene.
post #2901 of 3475 Old 01-16-2015, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Over here in Australia the Sony SDXC UHS Speed Class 3 SD cards are well over $120 each !!! Shock Horror.

So I just ordered 2 from B&H for $39.95 each. I would rather stick to Sony just in case probs arise so Sony cant pass on the blame.

Yep, come to sunny Australia and pay 3 TIMES the price.
wow $120 each is way overpriced.
post #2902 of 3475 Old 01-16-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Generally the compression and decompression processes are in direct dependency. I cannot know in this case until I do some tests but, some examples: HEVC has smaller bitrate than f264, slower compression, slower decompression. Of course, different algorithm but I talk about same input stream. So, small bitrate -> slow speed. Another one: ZIP. Take a 1 GB file and compress it using different ZIP methods. The "fastest" method produces the biggest output (bit rate analogy) and it is the fastest to decompress. The "smallest" method produces the smallest output but it's the slowest to decompress. Again, this is just theory, not totally relevant and we cannot know for sure for our case until testing, because it's also dependent on other factors, codec algorithm being of course one of them.
post #2903 of 3475 Old 01-17-2015, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Generally the bit rate is independent of the codec because most codecs let you choose a bit rate. You can encode the same video using motion jpeg (very little compression) at a high bit rate or a low bit rate. You can encode the same video using h.265 (very high compression) at a high bit rate or a low bit rate. So your inference is false.
post #2904 of 3475 Old 01-17-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
wow $120 each is way overpriced.
Yep, Australia is definitely the lucky country.

Its strange, The actual camera price is not that much higher.

Thank G for the internet.
post #2905 of 3475 Old 01-17-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Generally the bit rate is independent of the codec because most codecs let you choose a bit rate. You can encode the same video using motion jpeg (very little compression) at a high bit rate or a low bit rate. You can encode the same video using h.265 (very high compression) at a high bit rate or a low bit rate. So your inference is false.
I agree it's not totally similar, I don't have another example. It will be interesting to test such a case with the same input (big and low bit rate) and see the times. I remember Eugene did such tests with the h265 but I don't know if he measured the times. Eugene?
post #2906 of 3475 Old 01-21-2015, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys am looking to possibly sell my ax100.

The Person am looking to sell to is worried it might not output at 4k on his new 4k samsung Tv.

Am I right in thinking it will? As the camcorder acts as the actual player
post #2907 of 3475 Old 01-21-2015, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3267 Post(s)
Liked: 3066
If it's a 2014 model, it should have no issues with the AX100's output. If it's a 2013 model, it likely will not display the camera's output.
post #2908 of 3475 Old 01-21-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 View Post

The Person am looking to sell to is worried it might not output at 4k on his new 4k samsung Tv.

I have an LG February 2013 model and the AX100 plays perfectly through it.
post #2909 of 3475 Old 01-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieuk147 View Post

Since the camera plays through the HDMI, there should be no problem playing the 4k that way. The problems come when attempting to play the edited 4k video. Earlier 4k TVs did not support 4k through the USB, but the newer ones do. I solved the problem by purchasing one of the Android based 4k players currently available. With one of those, you put your sd card or usb drive into the player and the player plugs into your TV's HDMI port and everything works fairly well.
post #2910 of 3475 Old 01-21-2015, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3267 Post(s)
Liked: 3066
Chenderson is correct. I should have qualified my statement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page