? Camcorder lenses - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-31-2014, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
It is a well known fact that small sensor camcorders like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Legria-HF-R506-Definition/dp/B00HPWQ0KU and Sony and Pana models have longer zooms than their models with larger sensors,for most 20x like my HF-G30 is :fine but in my case and the wildlife filming i do a fair bit the more than double 35mm eqivalent that the HF-R506 has over my G30 would be welcome as useing my 1.5x extender only allows the longest 20 or so % of the zoom to be used,what i dont understand realy is why large sensor pro cameras have huge zooms as can be seen by watching wildlife programns on tv.For me its a case of if only.confused.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-31-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 76
That post could be improved with carriage-returns and better punctuation. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I have read that three times and am not certain I understand what you are asking (or, indeed, if you are asking anything at all).

I think this is your question: "i dont understand realy is why large sensor pro cameras have huge zooms as can be seen by watching wildlife programns on tv."

I'm still not sure how to read that, but hopefully one of the following helps.

- Long focal-length lenses are used on wildlife programs to get good pictures of far away objects.

- Large sensors are used because
1) they receive more light per pixel, which allows lower ISO, faster shutter, and better focus,
2) you can get more pixels on them without problem, and
3) It's easier to get wider shots which, while not needed in the wildlife programs, are needed elsewhere in the industry.

- How much total light you can get to a sensor is a function of (in addition to ambient light levels and such)
1) How much light is in the degrees of vision being sampled (focal length)
2) How big a space you must project that onto (sensor size)
3) How much light you can take in per degree.

As your area of vision goes down (rise in focal length (expressed in "mm")), you get less light. To make up for this, you need a larger lens to bring more light in, or a smaller area to concentrate the light in (smaller sensor).

It is, therefore, easier and cheaper to build a zoom for a smaller sensor than a larger one. Those big lenses you see on professional wildlife shows cost many thousands of dollars each.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-31-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by flintyplus View Post

It is a well known fact that small sensor camcorders like http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Legria-HF-R506-Definition/dp/B00HPWQ0KU and Sony and Pana models have longer zooms than their models with larger sensors,for most 20x like my HF-G30 is :fine but in my case and the wildlife filming i do a fair bit the more than double 35mm eqivalent that the HF-R506 has over my G30 would be welcome as useing my 1.5x extender only allows the longest 20 or so % of the zoom to be used,what i dont understand realy is why large sensor pro cameras have huge zooms as can be seen by watching wildlife programns on tv.For me its a case of if only.confused.gif
It's easy to do small physical size, but high power zooms if the sensor is small and if you're not worried about max aperture. If you want long zooms with a fast aperture for a 35mm sensor, it's going to be big and heavy. You get about f/2.8 on zoom lenses under 200mm on a full-frame. Anything higher (200-400) and it's f/4. So you can't compare a 35mm to a Canon G30. F/2.8 on a small sensor zoom is nothing special. You can do it with a cheap, light-weight, tiny lens. If you think about it, it makes sense that a full-frame lens at a minimal aperture would be a wide-open aperture on a tiny sensor.

You can compromise on performance and get a physically smaller lens, like the 28-300, which is a really good lens, but the max aperture is f/3.5-5.6, depending on the zoom position. Also if the lens has an optical stabilizer (Nikon lingo is VR, Canon is IS), it adds bulk and weight too. What's the advantage of stabilization? You can use a slower shutter speed, and therefore use a lower ISO with less noise. To add "bokeh" (reduce your depth of field), you need a larger sensor, longer focal length, and a faster aperture. This adds lens elements, size, weight, and cost.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-31-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 76
200-500mm f2.8 FULL FRAME LENS VS small sensor with 25-600mm F2.8 FF eqiv :
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/551435-REG/Sigma_597101_200_500mm_f_2_8_EX_DG.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/880958-REG/Panasonic_dmc_fz200k_Lumix_FZ200_Digital_Camera.html

An actual 25-600mm F2.8 full frame lens would cost millions.
Chevypower likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-31-2014, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
what i dont understand is why dont companies stick a 1/2.3" cmos from a digital camera into a camcorder with a 2mp count. something like the panasonic v720 but much less pixels
post #6 of 6 Old 02-01-2014, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove View Post

That post could be improved with carriage-returns and better punctuation. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I have read that three times and am not certain I understand what you are asking (or, indeed, if you are asking anything at all).

I think this is your question: "i dont understand realy is why large sensor pro cameras have huge zooms as can be seen by watching wildlife programns on tv."

I'm still not sure how to read that, but hopefully one of the following helps.

- Long focal-length lenses are used on wildlife programs to get good pictures of far away objects.

- Large sensors are used because
1) they receive more light per pixel, which allows lower ISO, faster shutter, and better focus,
2) you can get more pixels on them without problem, and
3) It's easier to get wider shots which, while not needed in the wildlife programs, are needed elsewhere in the industry.

- How much total light you can get to a sensor is a function of (in addition to ambient light levels and such)
1) How much light is in the degrees of vision being sampled (focal length)
2) How big a space you must project that onto (sensor size)
3) How much light you can take in per degree.

As your area of vision goes down (rise in focal length (expressed in "mm")), you get less light. To make up for this, you need a larger lens to bring more light in, or a smaller area to concentrate the light in (smaller sensor).

It is, therefore, easier and cheaper to build a zoom for a smaller sensor than a larger one. Those big lenses you see on professional wildlife shows cost many thousands of dollars each.

You are not the first to complain about me so i what you say must be true,i admit i am no graduate but can only explain to the best of my ability.
In a nutshall and leaving large sensor top of the range pro camcorders out of the equation i wish the better consumer cams_ IE Pana 700 range and Canon HF-G30/XA20s could have the long focal lengths of their cheap models,the same aplies to Sony models.
As i said some of us need all the focal length we can get on a decent camcorder.

jogiba thanks but i have the FZ150 that has the same focal length as the FZ200 but it has almost the same reach as my HF-G30 and the 150 has low resolution video
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page