Help sought with camera shake worse with optically stabalized cams - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

So have an unusual one here, on optically stabilized cams i can observe a tremor ( looks like pulse rate frequency )

Its really quite distracting to watch !

And yet on cams with digital IS its not noticeable.

So i'm guessing i have a stronger than average hand shake at pulse rate which is tricky for the OIS to sort but in fact the DIS systems may find this easier to filter out.

Googling it, we all have some natural hand tremor but i haven't seen any particular reference to the optical stabalizer issue i am seeing.

I have tried various bracing positions / holding the cam loose / always two hands but yet its still there.

Apart from going to the Doctors ! :eek:  has anyone had this or know anything about it ?

Thanks in advance.

If its of relevance, the two cams i am trying back to back at the moment are the sony TG5/7 ( DIS ) > GW55/77 (OIS)

A few years back i had a panasonic gs500? with OIS, at the time blamed it on the camera - but now seeing it again ....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Most of my cameras have OIS and I also have four Canon IS binoculars (8x25 IS, 10x42L IS , 12x36 IS II , 15x50 IS) and when I press the IS button on my Canon binoculars it's almost like having them mounted on a tripod. The Sony Balanced Optical SteadyShot image stabilization w/ Active Mode moves the whole lens assembly so I think that would work for you.

post #3 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I've written this before, so the regulars here are probably sick of it.

I'm old enough to shake. My experience with my camcorders is that anything that allows me to hold on the the camera with both hands while my hands are separated by a foot or two, will give the O.I.S. a much better opportunity to work well. Most call them camcorder rigs or stabilizers and are more complicated than a monopod. A simple stick with a bolt in it to match the tripod socket will work.

In other words, any type of handle you can screw to the tripod socket helps. My favorite is a ball head equipped monopod that I rarely extend.

An extreme adaptation of my technique can be (humorously) watched here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzelLm4STCk#t=506.

Bill
post #4 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for replies,

jogiba - yes the new Sony system looks pretty impressive, and interesting to note how the OIS models you have worked well for you. Just wondering if the OIS system on binoculars have an easier job than a camera since they are held with two hands and then in contact with your head too ?

bill, so have you built your own 'eventpod' ? Looks like a good idea with a catchy name too !  I will be trying a number of rigs just for curiosity, see what settles the vibrations down - but most of my shooting tends to be done without extra equipment so its not a long term solution.

I should just post an example of these vibrations would be clearer than explaining, but i'm just intrigued how i'm managing to get poor results from a camera with reportedly good image stabilization (Sony GW77) and at the tender age of 40...  with no discern-able shakes in 'regular' life, and following regular guidelines for a stable body position. ??

post #5 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstream2000 View Post

bill, so have you built your own 'eventpod' ? Looks like a good idea with a catchy name too !  I will be trying a number of rigs just for curiosity, see what settles the vibrations down - but most of my shooting tends to be done without extra equipment so its not a long term solution.

No, I have not built one. I don't want to attract extra attention with all the geeky attachments!

I did buy a $35 Opteka carbon fiber monopod and put a cheap Giotto mini ball head on it. It is my most used camera/camcorder accessory.

I don't see people use a ball head on a monopod. And, they always plant the monopod foot on the ground.

I rarely extend it to full length. I have three basic positions that connect the camera to my body. My sense is that my body shake little while my hands shake noticibly. The three positions are: 1.) The ball head is bent at 90 degrees and I use it like handle bars. 2.) The ball head is bent about 30 degrees and the monopod is tucked between my upper arm and ribs. 3.) The ball head is bent a little and the foot is tucked behind my belt or in my front pocket.

My theory is that a lot more shake comes from my hands than from my 200 pound body. Any connection to my body through the monopod eliminates my hand shake.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....but i'm just intrigued how i'm managing to get poor results from a camera with reportedly good image stabilization (Sony GW77) and at the tender age of 40...  with no discern-able shakes in 'regular' life, and following regular guidelines for a stable body position. ??
My guess is you are expecting to much. O.I.S. works really well at short tele settings but magnifies hand movements as you zoom to longer settings. The simple answer to steady video is to get closer and use wider shooting.

I ran into an entertaining example of what a pro will do to demonstrate steady shooting. The videographer wants to have a rock stable shot of a surfer walking down a cliff to the beach. It helps that the surfer is pretty and wearing a small bikini. The video has upwards of 14,000 plays! He does not depend on or expect his O.I.S. to do the job. He uses a lot more complex gadget than the "eventpod". It costs more too!

Behind the scenes and the equipment: https://vimeo.com/84636668

The polished final video: https://vimeo.com/84082718
post #7 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

My guess is you are expecting to much. O.I.S. works really well at short tele settings but magnifies hand movements as you zoom to longer settings. The simple answer to steady video is to get closer and use wider shooting.

I ran into an entertaining example of what a pro will do to demonstrate steady shooting. The videographer wants to have a rock stable shot of a surfer walking down a cliff to the beach. It helps that the surfer is pretty and wearing a small bikini. The video has upwards of 14,000 plays! He does not depend on or expect his O.I.S. to do the job. He uses a lot more complex gadget than the "eventpod". It costs more too!

Behind the scenes and the equipment: https://vimeo.com/84636668

The polished final video: https://vimeo.com/84082718

your probably right, and good tips to get closer and shoot wider - will have another go with this in mind.

interesting video too, and does show what a complex rig is required to shoot a really steady shot on the move.

the final video is a nice sentiment too ! but i dont know what your guys morning ritual is, but most mornings mine is a strong coffee - but a quick surf at bondi looks a pretty good way to start the day !

post #8 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 05:43 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

your probably right, and good tips to get closer and shoot wider - will have another go with this in mind.

interesting video too, and does show what a complex rig is required to shoot a really steady shot on the move.

the final video is a nice sentiment too ! but i dont know what your guys morning ritual is, but most mornings mine is a strong coffee - but a quick surf at bondi looks a pretty good way to start the day !

That is an example of the power of having a center of attention in your video - you don't notice any flaws in the background. A pretty girl in a skimpy bikini certainly has that effect, so much so that no one apparently noticed that the waves she was going to "surf" on were tiny. smile.gif
post #9 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post

That is an example of the power of having a center of attention in your video - you don't notice any flaws in the background. A pretty girl in a skimpy bikini certainly has that effect, so much so that no one apparently noticed that the waves she was going to "surf" on were tiny. smile.gif
I tried hard to suggest that the video was about demonstrating a new stabilization rig. Waves had nothing to do with it and were of little interest to me. rolleyes.gif
post #10 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

......... i dont know what your guys morning ritual is, but most mornings mine is a strong coffee - but a quick surf at bondi looks a pretty good way to start the day !
It takes about three good cups for me and I don't know where bondi is!
post #11 of 12 Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
man im jealous. the last time i followed a bikini babe around with a camera i got thrown in county jail mad.gif
post #12 of 12 Old 02-03-2014, 04:44 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Wow. I really want to build that eventpod! That looks like it could be useful!
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page