Grainy Video on HDR-PJ 540 camcorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 02-23-2014, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

~~I bought this camera for a church. Sony Camcorder HDR-PJ540. But when I used it at the church it did a terrible job. I think I figured out why. The church doesn't have good lighting and they wanted it setup at the back and so I had to zoom in to get a picture of the speaker. When I played it back on a large screen tv it looked grainy. I was shocked. I picked it out and got them to spend over $700. I changed the quality setting to the highest level it makes no difference. I tried to change settings but nothing is helping. Also the digital zoom is turned off. If this wasn't a problem it would be a great camcorder. All the other features work great. They were using another camcorder of about $230 price. Now this one was used at a closer range and it has a better picture. The main reason we were upgrading cameras was we needed one that had a microphone port to get rid of back ground noises. I am at a loss I don't know what to do. Anyone that has any ideas please post them, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-23-2014, 01:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 64
More light.

Shooting indoors with poor light is going to be a problem for any camcorder.
post #3 of 3 Old 02-23-2014, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The Sony model you mention has a very small image sensor (1/5") that doesn't perform very well in low light. Also when you zoom to the telephoto end of the optical zoom range the lens opening will narrow down to approximately 1/2 to 1/3 of the opening at the widest, therefore letting in even less light.

Since you can do nothing about the camera's sensor the only way to reduce the noise you see in the footage is to get close to the subject as much as you can so that you can shoot at the wide position, not from far away zooming in. Adding some lights, of course, will help if you can.
Reply Camcorders