Need help picking a professional SONY camcorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-20-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi!

My husband and I have a couple of Sony HDR PJ790 that we like, but we need something better that will work at a farther distance 100+ feet and give very clear, clean footage.  We plan on selling our camcorders and putting the monies toward a single professional Sony camcorder.  We like to spend less than $10K.  Can any of you recommend a Sony model to us?  We're shooting choral music.  The kids are on a stage with lighting and overhead/floor mics.  We are hoping to use Power Director to do electronic pans from the long shot from the front.  Currently we have one camera that is static on the entire floor and another camera that we use to pan.

I am woefully ignorant on what to look for.  All I know is that I need a large sensor. 

Thanks for your help!

Roxanne

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-20-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
It would be wrong to recommend any pro camera before the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) convention in Las Vegas in a couple weeks from now. Expect quite a few camera announcements that change the game.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-21-2014, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Chevypower,

We would actually prefer to get a used/new not the latest model so recommendations of what is the best now would actually be more helpful.  If you know the current best that would be great. Ultimately, we'd like to get a camera in the 10K range when brand new at a used price.

Thanks!

Roxanne

post #4 of 5 Old 03-21-2014, 05:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hi Roxanne - the best large sensor Sony camcorder below $10,000 with good low light capability is the $8100 Sony NEX-FS700. Here is what this camera can do in a concert setting:

If you can live with a smaller sensor (still larger than your PJ790's), you might want to consider a camera with built-in "4K" resolution such as the $4500 Sony FDR-AX1. This camera will allow you to electronically "pan" and "zoom" without losing a lot of resolution. Here is what this camera can do in a concert setting:

Hope this is helpful!

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution
post #5 of 5 Old 03-21-2014, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Bill!

Thanks for your suggestions and for the very helpful videos.  Do you happen to know the distances from the camcorders to the stage?  When you say that the FDR-AX1 will allow you to electronically zoom and pan w/o losing resolution do you mean that you do that during the taping or afterwards?  We were trying to do this postprocessing with Power Director from our camera, but lost too much resolution.  It's a nice feature though and if we had better images I'm sure we'd have some usable material.

Both of those cameras look amazing. 

Thanks very much for your help!

Roxanne

More suggestions?

Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page