What camcorder should I buy? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-23-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and I'd like to buy a new camcorder. I have the Canon Vixia M52, but there's a lot of grain in the dark, no wide angle, no viewfinder... I've been searching on the web for 1 month now, but it's really hard to find the right one. So I decided to ask directly on this forum :-)

First, one really important thing for me is the video format. Most of today's camcorders record in AVCHD. I DON'T want AVCHD. It's such a complicated format: on the PC, the file properties say "50 FPS", and when I import the video file in most of my editing programs, it says 25 FPS. I previously bought the Sony CX220, and had many aspect ratio problems in programs like After Effects. I don't want to convert videos each time I want to edit them, it's a waste of time, loss of quality, and even format problems remaining on some programs.

I prefer the MP4 (h.264) format, which is perfect.

I plan to film at night, and record stars in the sky. My Canon sees stars really well, but the grain is unbearable, and makes the stars impossible to distinguish on the PC (less grain appears on the Canon's LCD than on the PC screen. You first think video looks good, but when you watch on the PC it's just horrible).

So, here are the specs I'd like my camcorder to have:

- MP4 format

- Large sensor = low grain

- Viewfinder if possible

- Wide angle

- Ability to screw lenses (like fisheye, wide angle, lens hood...)

- Mic input

- 10x optical zoom at least

- Focus ring

- Fast zooming

I know, it's probably not evident to find... :/

My budget is 1000 $ max. I spotted the JVC PX-100, which looks nice. Seems you can't add lenses, am I wrong? I also heard about the Panasonic x920, seems awesome, but can I record in MP4?

Thanks in advance, have a nice day.

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-23-2014, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
AVCHD is not complicated at all. Sounds like you're having an issue with your editor,

and...

Quote:
AVCHD (Wikipedia):

For video compression, AVCHD uses the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 standard, supporting a variety of standard, high definition, and stereoscopic (3D) video resolutions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#Overview

You should consider an interchangeable lens camera, DSLR or mirrorless, which have larger image sensors than a camcorder.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-30-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfws View Post

You should consider an interchangeable lens camera, DSLR or mirrorless, which have larger image sensors than a camcorder.

I almost bought a DSLR two months ago, when I discovered the sensor overheating problem, video limitations (7-15 min.), massive file sizes (250-300 mb for 1 minute) and huge prices for zoom lenses.

I'm now hesitating a lot. Should I buy the Canon G30 or the JVC PX100 ? Maybe I'm gonna start a new topic about that.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-30-2014, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCameraman View Post

I almost bought a DSLR two months ago, when I discovered the sensor overheating problem, video limitations (7-15 min.), massive file sizes (250-300 mb for 1 minute) and huge prices for zoom lenses.

I'm now hesitating a lot. Should I buy the Canon G30 or the JVC PX100 ? Maybe I'm gonna start a new topic about that.

I am only familiar with the Canon camcorders with that image sensor size. They are good "low light" for a camcorder, but will be nowhere near that capability a DSLR or mirrorless/micro-four thirds camera like the Panasonic GH3 (no overheating/can shoot .mov files/time limited by card capacity if NTSC/in U.S.).

Maybe someone else has the JVC can offer some thoughts.
The technology is going to be impressive with either camcorder, perhaps it's a matter of brand preference and/or form factor.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCameraman View Post

I DON'T want AVCHD. It's such a complicated format: on the PC, the file properties say "50 FPS", and when I import the video file in most of my editing programs, it says 25 FPS. I previously bought the Sony CX220, and had many aspect ratio problems in programs like After Effects. I don't want to convert videos each time I want to edit them, it's a waste of time, loss of quality, and even format problems remaining on some programs.
Do not use crappy programs. Know what you deal with, for example traditional interlaced video is 25 frames/s, interlaced, or 50 unique images/s.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2014, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

I don't think after effects is a crappy program. The MP4 format remains the best for my personal use, like motion tracking or even simple video transfer to an iPad (only accepts MP4 h264).

That's why I'd like to know if there are some Canon users or JVC users who could help me. smile.gif

Thanks a lot to everyone !
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page