panasonic hc v750 or x920 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-04-2014, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

hello everyone im new here, i will get a new camcorder next days and my aim is just best video quality so i must decide between v750 and x920, what should i do?

thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-04-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ya basta View Post

hello everyone im new here, i will get a new camcorder next days and my aim is just best video quality so i must decide between v750 and x920, what should i do?
thank you

I have the x920 and bought it based on samples I saw on youtube. Everything I saw shot with the v750 looked bad to me. I feel like the x920 shoots about as good as my AC90. My only complaints coming from the sd800 is size, compared to the SD800, it's much bigger. And battery life is less. Here is some crudely shot run & gun video I took of a fire I happened upon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=080pcv-kIOo , The camera capable of much better with clear skys and a little effort. This is probably the worst video I've made but only one I've posted.
My friend has the v750, seems quit a bit smaller and specs say it has a 20X zoom

Edit: I was thinking you were comparing between the v720 & x920. The v750 didn't exist when I made my choice
post #3 of 25 Old 04-05-2014, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 64
It is hard to say with user posted video, since the stuff posted on YouTube is edited and then re-rendered when it gets posted, resulting in generally poor quality video. The best footage to look at is native footage, but there does not appear to be any as far as I have been able to find.

The best video from the 750/850 series (they are basically all the same camera) is Panasonics promo video, which has been professionally done and therefor proves a more accurate representation of what the native footage really looks like:

IMO the quality is excellent for that level of camcorder.

The raw footage from the X920 that I have seen shows extensive compression artifacts, probably because it has a higher effective resolution than most camcorders from its generation, and consequently really needed a higher bit rate than 28 mbps. The compression issues are the main reason I scratched the X920 from consideration when I was choosing a camcorder last year.

The V750 can record at 50 mbps, which is much better than the 28 mbps that the X920 does. It also has a 20X zoom rather than the 12x in the X920.

The V750 uses 6.03 Mpixels, which means it is oversampling and therefore should be approaching the full 1080 lines of resolution. Effective resolution of the X920 is 3 x 2.83 Mpixels (it uses 3 sensors), so both cameras will have similar effective resolution.

Personally, given the choice between the two, I would take the V750.
post #4 of 25 Old 04-05-2014, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Personally, I would pick the X920 if you need to buy one today. It is the best 3-chip consumer camcorder that Panasonic ever made, with the best image quality in both bright light and low light. User interface is excellent, intelligent auto is mostly fool proof, and the optical image stabilization is unbelievably effective. The V750 is a single chip camcorder that is likely to suffer from decreased resolution like nearly all other single chip consumer camcorders. It's possible that the V750 hits above its weight, but unlikely. We won't know until its been tested.

Better yet would be to wait a month or two if you can. Then we'll know how good the V750 really is, and we'll know whether Panasonic has announced a successor to the X920.
post #5 of 25 Old 04-05-2014, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11

V750 does 120fps in 1080p……in slow mo

post #6 of 25 Old 04-05-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Their are some notable differences to make note on. As some are saying, the V750 can shoot in 1080 120p. That's a huge feature although I'm not sure how it really works. For example is it regular motion or does that give you slow motion footage in 30p shooting? You can also see further. As for the X920, it has a traditional focusing ring around the lens and a viewfinder. Without trying to figure out what will give better video quality, their are other features that could make or break a certain camera . For some people who wants to do slow motion shooting or see much further, the V750 would be perfect for that while for people who wants to sometimes use a viewfinder or easily control the manual features better, the X920 would be perfect for that. A benefit of a viewfinder would be to manually adjust the video quality in broad daylight. It might be harder being accurate using the LCD screen. Now for people who just wants to keep the camera on automatic, the LCD screen is good enough. Still, an LCD screen will most likely take more juice out of the camera. It's also true that we haven't see a successor to the X920 yet which could get released in say 1 to 2 months but on the other hand, you might need a camera now. Also, if it ends up shooting in 4K just like the successor of the AC90 will end up shooting in 4K, the price will surely be much higher.

My Youtube page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Flickr page:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 25 Old 04-07-2014, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15

The wheel on the V750 is not quite like the 920s ring but it works very well. Regarding focussing, when in manual focus mode, a blue "halo" appears when in focus.

The lack of a viewfinder is a bit of a nuisance but having had the V700 for two years, I am quite used to it. I made a screen shield out of black plastic to shade the screen from the sun but, despite a brilliant summer last year, I have never needed to use it.

The V750 has a facility to upgrade the "firmware". At present the version is 1.0 (no surprise there) but newer versions may come out in time.

The video quality is good and sharp with good colour saturation. The microphones (4) have a wind shield over them which works in a light breeze only! They are very sensitive and I am glad the camera is not fitted with a viewfinder as, with my Canon HV20, any heavy breathing is easily picked up with close use.

Not tried the Slo-Mo yet as it needs a Class 10 card. (in the post) The Slo-Mo works in MP4 mode only. The Wi-Fi works OK but needs the latest version of the Image App. I use NFC to connect and get a picture plus zoom and record control.

post #8 of 25 Old 05-03-2014, 06:40 AM

I just got the v750 and am still experimenting with it and will report back soon. One thing that was odd was that it didn't come with a DC cable (unless someone took it out of the box before I bought it). I had no way of using the camera after I bought it because I needed to charge the battery. I called Panasonic and they said it's backordered for 3 weeks. I went to the retailer and they said Panasonic doesn't include a DC cable because they cost $50. What? For that little piece of wire? Turns out he was wrong, they are about $5. I was finally able to coax my retailer to get me the cable.

post #9 of 25 Old 05-03-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcj91106 View Post

I just got the v750 and am still experimenting with it and will report back soon. One thing that was odd was that it didn't come with a DC cable (unless someone took it out of the box before I bought it). I had no way of using the camera after I bought it because I needed to charge the battery. I called Panasonic and they said it's backordered for 3 weeks. I went to the retailer and they said Panasonic doesn't include a DC cable because they cost $50. What? For that little piece of wire? Turns out he was wrong, they are about $5. I was finally able to coax my retailer to get me the cable.

Also a good idea to get a second battery (plus a charger for mains/12V)

The 750 records slow motion at 120fps rendered to 240 fps and does it very well. When set to slow motion, the camera records at normal speed until the slow motion icon is pressed and held. The camera allows three slo-mo actions in one shot.

At playback the slow motion at 1/2 speed can be slowed to 1/4 speed if required ant then re-recorded.

post #10 of 25 Old 05-03-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post

Also a good idea to get a second battery (plus a charger for mains/12V)

The 750 records slow motion at 120fps rendered to 240 fps and does it very well. When set to slow motion, the camera records at normal speed until the slow motion icon is pressed and held. The camera allows three slo-mo actions in one shot.

At playback the slow motion at 1/2 speed can be slowed to 1/4 speed if required ant then re-recorded.

I just found out the hard way that I need a second battery. I've had the camera on for a few hours - just tinkering around reading the manual, etc. and it's already almost drained of power. What is this charger you speak of?

post #11 of 25 Old 05-04-2014, 12:12 AM

If you look on Amazon, they sometimes supply the battery plus charger as a package. The chargers are pretty universal having an attachment for a plate to take your battery and a choice of mains plug on the other side. They also have a 12V lead for car charging.

post #12 of 25 Old 05-04-2014, 06:26 AM

If you are simply shopping better PQ, then the 920 is superior because of the 3 sensors compared to 1 and the higher resolution.  It is only $300 more at B&H ($900/$600).  If you are a professional and need the best picture and within budget, then the 920 is the better choice. I recently purchased a 520 to supplement another video camera.  I needed good PQ, but maximum zoom primarily. The 520 was the best choice for me and I have no complaints about the PQ, although it is not cinematic. 

post #13 of 25 Old 05-04-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickndfl View Post

If you are simply shopping better PQ, then the 920 is superior because of the 3 sensors compared to 1 and the higher resolution.  It is only $300 more at B&H ($900/$600).  If you are a professional and need the best picture and within budget, then the 920 is the better choice. I recently purchased a 520 to supplement another video camera.  I needed good PQ, but maximum zoom primarily. The 520 was the best choice for me and I have no complaints about the PQ, although it is not cinematic. 

Is the PQ really that much more noticeable? Panasonic is also offering an additional $100 off if you buy before May 17 when you buy direct from them.

post #14 of 25 Old 05-04-2014, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 96
As you spend more money, the PQ goes up with better sensors, glass and stability. It used to also include memory, but now we use SD cards. There will be a $300 difference. You may not notice it on YouTube, but you should on your TV.
post #15 of 25 Old 05-05-2014, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post

As you spend more money, the PQ goes up with better sensors, glass and stability. It used to also include memory, but now we use SD cards. There will be a $300 difference. You may not notice it on YouTube, but you should on your TV.

I traded in the v750 for the x920. This is going to be good.

post #16 of 25 Old 05-06-2014, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickndfl View Post

3 sensors is not necessarily better resolution. An oversampled single sensor will perform better, such as the RX10 for example.

The V750 has an effective ~6MP, so it is significantly oversampled. The 920 has three sensors with an effective ~3MP each, but those are registered, so it probably has similar resolution to the V750. The 920 has slightly better low light sensitivity, but the V750 can record at much higher bit rates (50 mbps).

The real test of course would be the native files. The native files from the 920 that I have seen have high resolution, but show extensive compression damage, which means that editing them is probably tricky. So far I have not seen any native footage from the V750, only stuff on YouTube which is edited and heavily compressed (so they show a lot of damage, especially macroblocking - which is typical when H.264 recorded video is subjected to heavy compression on re-rendering).
post #17 of 25 Old 05-06-2014, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcj91106 View Post

I just found out the hard way that I need a second battery. I've had the camera on for a few hours - just tinkering around reading the manual, etc. and it's already almost drained of power. What is this charger you speak of?

90 minutes to 2 hours is fairly typical for stock batteries that come with camcorders. There is nothing unusual about that.
post #18 of 25 Old 05-06-2014, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post

3 sensors is not necessarily better resolution. An oversampled single sensor will perform better, such as the RX10 for example.

The V750 has an effective ~6MP, so it is significantly oversampled. The 920 has three sensors with an effective ~3MP each, but those are registered, so it probably has similar resolution to the V750. The 920 has slightly better low light sensitivity, but the V750 can record at much higher bit rates (50 mbps).

The real test of course would be the native files. The native files from the 920 that I have seen have high resolution, but show extensive compression damage, which means that editing them is probably tricky. So far I have not seen any native footage from the V750, only stuff on YouTube which is edited and heavily compressed (so they show a lot of damage, especially macroblocking - which is typical when H.264 recorded video is subjected to heavy compression on re-rendering).

The quality from the 750 compares well with the 920 (which is last year's technology) but it does use a considerable amount of computing power when editing. 1080/50p will cause juddering when the edited timeline is being played back but the rendered copy is perfect. My money was on the 750 and I have not been disappointed, this year's updates with the new lens system work extremely well. Quality is very subjective and is dependent on the viewing method (and kit) used.

I get around 1.5 hours out of a charged 190 battery. I now carry two batteries plus a charger for a day's shoot. Because the 750 accepts 5V charging voltage and comes supplied with a USB charging cable, others have tried USB charge packs, designed for IPods and phones, with great success. The charging point or the USB socket can both be used.

post #19 of 25 Old 05-06-2014, 03:22 PM

I use a 12V/110V converter plugged in the an accessory port in my vehicle and then plus the camera into it.  I work inside of a vehicle all day.  Comments made above about the resolution were not implied based on the number of sensors, I simply looked at the spec sheets side-by-side.

Panasonic gets a lot of respect on this forum, but you don't see it so much at the box retailers.  Sometimes it is easier to stay with a brand because of familiarity, but in many cases Panasonic offers a specific feature or leads other brands.    

post #20 of 25 Old 07-15-2014, 01:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bump. Which is better in low light? I can't decide between the two because there isn't a video I can compare it against.
post #21 of 25 Old 07-15-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by brncao View Post
Bump. Which is better in low light? I can't decide between the two because there isn't a video I can compare it against.
Welcome to the forum! Can you define low light?

If you are shooting black bears in the woods at night, nothing will work. If you are shooting night street scenes, both will probably be OK. However, if I remember right the 920 has 3 sensors that are larger than the single sensor in the 750. If you look at the camera, or photos of it, the area of the lens itself is larger to match the sensors. Consequently, more of the scarce low light gets in.

On the Panasonic site, they brag about the 920 saying, "The New 3MOS System Pro is comprised of the F1.5 LEICA Dicomar Lens, the 3MOS BSI Sensor, and Crystal Engine Pro II. In addition to excellent color reproduction and high-resolution images that the 3MOS system is known for, the new 3MOS System Pro delivers beautiful enhanced image quality, particularly in images shot in dimly lit situations."

If your "low light" is concerts, performers are always lit with spotlights and it is not as low as it may seem.

I have an older relative of the 920 and it works well for about everything I do with it. The 920 is the overall better camera. The only thing wrong is that the price is higher.
post #22 of 25 Old 07-15-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
It's best to look at the actual video portion of the chip and not the total size. A big portion of the X920's chips aren't used. The video portion of the V750's chip is bigger than each of the 3 chips in the X920. Still, you do have 3 of those chips. In total, you have 8.49 "active" megapixels for the X920 and 6.03 "active" megapixels for the V750. In theory, the X920 should give you slightly more detail but still, the bit rate is higher on the V750 so it's good to physically view videos from both cameras. You also never know if something like the auto white balance could be better on the V750 because it's newer. For low light capabilities, it'll be best to physically compare. Still, as mentioned before, their are a lot of differences between the cameras and those should be looked at as well. You may see that a certain feature of eighter camera is very important for what your doing. Something I didn't mention in an earlier post is one extra advantage of the X920 and that's the ability to shoot in 24p which seams to be lacking on the V750 unless someone can verify otherwise.

My Youtube page:

My Flickr page:

Last edited by Paulo Teixeira; 07-16-2014 at 05:30 PM.
post #23 of 25 Old 07-15-2014, 10:37 PM

For Night shots, have a look at
but set YT up to 1080p HD.

The 750 has "8mm movie" but the manual does not give the frame speed.
post #24 of 25 Old 07-16-2014, 03:17 PM

I ordered X920 for $850. Before anyone asks how, I returned a Sony camcorder that I had bought several weeks ago. Things got really complicated during the return process. In the end, I ended up paying $150 above retail price for the X920. I had no choice. If I had gone with the V750, I would have ended up paying $350 above retail price. PM me if you want the whole story. I'm not going to post it here as it's off-topic.
post #25 of 25 Old 07-30-2014, 09:38 PM

I'm leaning towards the 750 as 50mbps is an acceptable delivery spec for broadcast. Most HD cameras - even high end CineAltas - have major issues in low light so I'm not too worried on that front
Reply Camcorders
Gear in this thread - V750 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page