CION cinema 4K shoulder mount camera - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 75
This looks like a better choice for outdoor shooting than the BMC URSA IMHO.

http://www.aja.com/en/products/cion#features

http://www.aja.com/assets/brochures/CION_Brochure_WEB.pdf

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 1571
There ya go Joe. 4K @60p in a nice, small, portable package. biggrin.gif
Old 04-08-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I think the GH4 is just the right size for me Ken.biggrin.gif

Old 04-08-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just a 'bit' smaller than the CION. wink.gif
Old 04-08-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

4k at 120 fps!
Old 04-08-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'd go up to a 50lb camera for that. biggrin.gif
Old 04-08-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post

I think the GH4 is just the right size for me Ken.biggrin.gif

Quote:

Just a 'bit' smaller than the CION. wink.gif

And also just a "bit" smaller in price.smile.gif

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
Old 04-08-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

Compare it to Marty McFly's JVC, and this is indeed a small package sans lens. A tricked-out DSLR will be no smaller.

4K, 4:2:2, 60p? Absolutely. But AJA Paks are expensive: $400 for the dock, $700 for a 256 GB drive. If only it was compatible with off-the-rack SSD or HD drives - USB or even FireWire - it would be golden, but everyone wants your money: be it P2, SxS or AJA Pak.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^ What would you be adding to, say, a GH4 that would make it as large as the Cion? Please tell me you're joking.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

^ What would you be adding to, say, a GH4 that would make it as large as the Cion? Please tell me you're joking.
I am not. For a pro this is a relatively small and feature-complete cam. For most amateurs even the GH4 is an overkill, most people will be perfectly fine with an iPhone.

It is appalling that (almost?) none people on this forum including myself have shot anything that would warrant anything more than iPhone. All this technological advance is being wasted.

Hence, there are other forums where discussion of a camera like this is more appropriate. We are here like a Russian from that DirecTV commercial who wants mini giraffes just because.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^ I'm not sure what you mean when you say almost nobody here shoots anything that would 'warrant' anything more than an IPhone. That's a huge leap in the assumption of what people like and appreciate! It's also a hugely subjective opinion that what you've seen doesn't 'warrant' anything more than an IPhone. I just think that's an amazingly silly comment. Wasted technology, I think not. For you maybe. You may think that only feature films 'warrant' this high quality acquisition equipment. I surely don't. I want everything and anything I shoot to be in the highest quality possible, shot by equipment in my price range and size.

You'll never get the PQ from an IPhone that you can with a good dedicated HD camcorder. You certainly won't get anything nearly approaching the quality of a 4K AX100 or GH4. Not even remotely close.

Now if you're someone (and I'm sure there are those on AVS) that doesn't appreciate the huge differences, then yes, stick to an IPhone. I for sure am not one of them. I'd rather shoot a stack of books on a good quality 4K camcorder than an IPhone.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

I am not. For a pro this is a relatively small and feature-complete cam. For most amateurs even the GH4 is an overkill, most people will be perfectly fine with an iPhone.

It is appalling that (almost?) none people on this forum including myself have shot anything that would warrant anything more than iPhone. All this technological advance is being wasted.

Hence, there are other forums where discussion of a camera like this is more appropriate. We are here like a Russian from that DirecTV commercial who wants mini giraffes just because.

Most people, and many people here I suspect, use their cameras to shoot family and family events. Are you sayin' my family does not "warrant" being shot by anything higher quality than an iPhone? smile.gif

Many of the posted videos are to demonstrate to others some characteristic of the camera - the subject is not the point, and most are at face value silly (cat videos). The subjects of these demos are besides the point.

Most people do not post the videos they take of family, or vacation spots, whatever is of interest to them. Speaking for myself, I care deeply about picture quality when I take video, and what I shoot is important to me (and sometimes others, but that is also besides the point).

I do agree that you "have [not] shot anything that would warrant anything more than an iPhone." smile.gif And that some people value equipment per se, which is ok too.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann View Post

Footage is shot for an audience, and in the case of personal footage shot by people on this forum, the audience is primarily themselves and secondarily their families. That audience absolutely can tell the difference between an iphone (or any other cell phone) and a proper camera.

People who are keen skiers spend thousands of dollars on equipment, when stuff that costs hundreds would do just as well. Why do they do it when they are not competitive skiers? Because it is their hobby and they want to be the best they can be and feel the best they can for their own personal benefit, even if no one else shares that experience.

Having photography, or videography, as a hobby is no different.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Here's a video that shows Andy Bellamy of AJA going over the 4K Cion camera.

Yes, the audio isn't the greatest.