DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 04-13-2014, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 109
No, I don't have one. I started this thread to "fish" for personal experiences.

At $1300, this is a serious camera/camcorder that happens to fly by remote control. Note that the model with the "+" attached is recently released with a few upgrades over the plain "Vision" version. The two "Vision" versions are complete, integrated assemblies ready for photography and videography. Other, much more expensive, models are available from DJI to carry a variety of heavier cameras and camcorders.

I "helped" with one shoot last January on the Oregon coast that I put on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__uj7pW6YPY

A couple links:

The manufacturer:
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=phantom+2+vision

Vimeo:
https://vimeo.com/search?q=phantom+2

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-15-2014, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There has been no response, but another thread started with some examples of what can be done with creative vision and, of course, 4K:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1527453/drones-being-used-in-high-end-4k-cinematography#post_24608726.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-15-2014, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I had some of the reps talk about some of it's new products including the Phantom 2 Vision Plus. The flight demonstration starts around the 7:50 mark.
post #4 of 19 Old 04-15-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thank you Paulo!
post #5 of 19 Old 04-26-2014, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

With drones such the Phantom 2, you get built in GPS. One of the good features about having a GPS is for people who fly their drone so far and it gets out of range. Something like the Phantom 2 will turn to auto pilot and fly toward the spot that it took off from and land. All automatically. Nice safety feature.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-26-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira View Post

With drones such the Phantom 2, you get built in GPS. One of the good features about having a GPS is for people who fly their drone so far and it gets out of range. Something like the Phantom 2 will turn to auto pilot and fly toward the spot that it took off from and land. All automatically. Nice safety feature.
On my only experience in January, the owner purposely turned off the control unit to simulate total control failure. The Phantom Vision hovered in place for about 20 seconds, then flew to the takeoff spot and landed. Three licensed airplane pilots were duly impressed.

Bill
post #7 of 19 Old 04-27-2014, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's the official announcement video.
post #8 of 19 Old 09-04-2014, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This thread is not getting a lot of action, but I stumbled on a useful video for anyone interested in Remote Aerial Vidography. Jeff Cable, a photographer normally paid to shoot things like the Olympics, did a "special" for B&H. With help from B&H, DJI and Lexar he explains how it all works with plenty of examples. Expect to invest an hour and 20 minutes.

Toward the end, he credits Steve Wozniak with saying the Phantom Vision will do to videography what the Apple II did to personal computing! Strong words.

The guy also has a website, http://www.jeffcable.com/, but it is mostly about photography, not videography.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-04-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 147
How to start

Thanks for this thread. Seeing that video is a good start, but the first step for anyone getting into drone videography is to practice with a cheap, small drone. Crashing is inevitable for beginners.

The most recommended starter drone that actually does HD (720p) video is the $75 Husban X4 H107C:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...black_red.html

It flies indoors and out - and can do everything the big ones do. It can fly very high and go very fast, if needed. Has built-in gyroscopic leveling (auto), but no gps or gyro for stabilizing video. It is crashable in the sense that you can cheaply replace propellers and all parts. Comes with an extra set of propellers and a blade guard.

My family is investing in this; we will see where it leads. If all goes well, the next step is 4K aerial (without using a GoPro), but cheaply.

Last edited by markr041; 09-04-2014 at 02:26 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-04-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My reading and experience following three friends suggests that the automation of the DJI product is needed to prevent crashes. Lesser priced options don't have sufficient automated stabilization, so crashes are inevitable.
post #11 of 19 Old 09-04-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague View Post
My reading and experience following three friends suggests that the automation of the DJI product is needed to prevent crashes. Lesser priced options don't have sufficient automated stabilization, so crashes are inevitable.

This is what I understand. For instance if you let go of the throttle on the big one, it will just safely come back to the controller. Do that on the non-automated one and it will crash. But the big ones can crash, and when they do it is catastrophic. If you can learn to fly the small ones crash-free, then you are easily prepared for the big one. The small ones are built to withstand crashes.

Hubsan is about to come out with a competitor to the DJI (gyro, gps, etc.) that may be even more fool-proof. Technology advances.
post #12 of 19 Old 09-04-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm watching and helping a friend named Doug. Doug has already lost one and crashed another. Doug invested in a "Rotor Concept Discovery". (http://rotorconcept.com/Discovery.asp). He saved $400 and he has yet to get it fully airborne or attach his GoPro. It is currently in a shop getting a new motor. He has spent more than the price of the Phantom Vision 2 Plus (of about $1300). Doug is very frustrated.

I have two more friends, Don and Jim. Don knew nothing and Jim was a professional photographer. Both have been successful getting good video with their Phantom Vision 2 Pluses. One had to replace a blade.

Mark, I've taken a lot of your advice and used it to pick out a few cameras that I've been pleased with. There is risk in buying any equipment. You didn't ask me for advice, but if you did, it would be that you should buy the "sweet spot" in the market. Today it is the DJI Phantom Vision 2 Plus. It has the stability, control, logic and software to produce video that rank amateurs have been successful with.

But, this "Aerial Photography" thing is moving fast. I think it is advancing faster than the other videography segments. Tomorrow will bring better stuff. Tomorrow may bring regulations that ban all of it. If you are buying today, buy the "sweet spot" while you can.

Good luck and have fun! I wish I was buying one with you so that we could compare results.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-04-2014, 07:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Another forum for reading: fpvlab.com
On my long list of 'to buy' items are the 3drobotics iris using a go pro for the POV pilot cam (remote viewfinder)
post #14 of 19 Old 09-04-2014, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm watching and helping a friend named Doug. Doug has already lost one and crashed another. Doug invested in a "Rotor Concept Discovery". (http://rotorconcept.com/Discovery.asp). He saved $400 and he has yet to get it fully airborne or attach his GoPro. It is currently in a shop getting a new motor. He has spent more than the price of the Phantom Vision 2 Plus (of about $1300). Doug is very frustrated.

I have two more friends, Don and Jim. Don knew nothing and Jim was a professional photographer. Both have been successful getting good video with their Phantom Vision 2 Pluses. One had to replace a blade.

Mark, I've taken a lot of your advice and used it to pick out a few cameras that I've been pleased with. There is risk in buying any equipment. You didn't ask me for advice, but if you did, it would be that you should buy the "sweet spot" in the market. Today it is the DJI Phantom Vision 2 Plus. It has the stability, control, logic and software to produce video that rank amateurs have been successful with.

But, this "Aerial Photography" thing is moving fast. I think it is advancing faster than the other videography segments. Tomorrow will bring better stuff. Tomorrow may bring regulations that ban all of it. If you are buying today, buy the "sweet spot" while you can.

Good luck and have fun! I wish I was buying one with you so that we could compare results.

Thanks. We will go slow, first mastering flying the hard way. From what I have read, your advice is sound. What is holding me back mainly is reluctance to go back to pseudo HD (meaning less-than 1080), now that we have 4K. I want a copter with stabilizer and gimbal and GPS like the DJI that takes the camera I want to use. Maybe the next GoPro will do what I want, and then there are more flying options.
post #15 of 19 Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
.....We will go slow, first mastering flying the hard way. ......
My granddaughters did well with one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Syma-S107-S107...9924259&sr=1-3
post #16 of 19 Old 09-05-2014, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy80 View Post
Another forum for reading: fpvlab.com
On my long list of 'to buy' items are the 3drobotics iris using a go pro for the POV pilot cam (remote viewfinder)
3DR IRIS

Why that one?
post #17 of 19 Old 09-07-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
3DR IRIS

Why that one?
Open source, some top notch hardware (ex: autopilot), seems to be pretty capable (some people flying them >1mi), & pricepoint seems good to me ($1500 all said & done from my list). I found out about it from another person, who's research I trust too.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-13-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

The problem with these good drone options with gimbals is you have to either use their own, built-in camera or a GoPro. Neither is 4K (the GoPro Black 3+ has 4K at 15 fps!). We videographers would prefer to choose our own camera. Video quality is important.
post #19 of 19 Old 09-14-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post
The problem with these good drone options with gimbals is you have to either use their own, built-in camera or a GoPro. Neither is 4K (the GoPro Black 3+ has 4K at 15 fps!). We videographers would prefer to choose our own camera. Video quality is important.
http://www.helipal.com/tarot-3-axis-...vo-driven.html

http://www.dji.com/product/zenmuse-z15
Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page