Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 04-25-2014, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 View Post

Only lousy digital stabilization, like on cellphones.

Just to correct the end of that post. Should say "Only lousy digital stabilization, like on MOST cellphones" My Nokia PureView camera is offended by that comment!! tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 04-25-2014, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD90 View Post

The video image stabilization of some Olympus models like the E-M5, E-M1 and E-P5 is so outstanding that some Panasonic GX7 and G6 owners are jumping ship to Olympus:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img845/1127/jrd3.jpg

"some" as in "one"?
post #33 of 39 Old 04-25-2014, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L View Post

Hi
Not correct, it can be progressive.

60i holding Progressive Segmented Frame footage means it is progressive and not interlaced. Progressive footage carried as PsF has been used for decades to carry progressive footage over various broadcast systems, as being 60i PsF it guarantees that throughout the broadcast chain it isn't going to cause a problem or inadvertently be degraded.

What we see on our TVs from 30p carried as 60i PsF is definitely progressive footage without any degradation or de-interlacing required. Full details here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_segmented_frame

Regards

Phil

So why not just use straight 30p up front instead of a format pretty much no other consumer camera uses instead, making users jump through hoops for no good reason. And why the low bit rate? It is not as though they are constrained by the AVCHD spec since they are using MOV containers - they could easily have used a higher bit rate to minimize compression artifacts. Older cameras from other manufacturers using MOV containers have much higher bit rates available, so why is it crippled in the Olympus? It s pretty clear that Olympus has the same mentality as Nikon when it comes to video.

It does not change the fact that the camera is clearly intended for shooting stills, with video as an inconsequential afterthought. And for this camera, there is no ML to provide functionality that the manufacturer didn't bother to add.
post #34 of 39 Old 04-25-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post

"some" as in "one"?

Don't you realize SD90 has conducted extensive surveys on this? I can't take yet another of 'these threads'. wink.gif
post #35 of 39 Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugela View Post

So why not just use straight 30p up front instead of a format pretty much no other consumer camera uses instead, making users jump through hoops for no good reason.
Up to very recent times 30p was recorded as 30 PsF by most camcorders to ensure compatibility with most editing systems, DVD players and TV sets.
post #36 of 39 Old 07-30-2014, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker1212 View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by jared717

I am looking to pick up a Camcorder that will record in 1080P. I am very new to the camera world, so I am not very knowledgeable in this area. I would like to keep it under $800, closer to $500 would be great. It will mainly be used to record family get togethers and maybe a few sporting events. Again any help and guidance on this would be appreciated.

get a sony with boss (Balanced Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...0_full_hd.html
I have been doing some research and I am still leaning to purchase this camera. Would you say this is still the best camera in that price range that does 1080p? I plan on purchasing within the next 2 weeks.

Thanks
post #37 of 39 Old 07-30-2014, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The Panasonic HC-V750 with hybrid OIS has proved in a test to outperform the Sony BOSS system, basically because the 750 is a newer camera with an improved lens system and the BOSS has been around a while.
IMO the projector on the Sony is not worth the money, I use a HDMI lead direct into my HD TV for viewing raw footage.
I got my 750 in March of this year and it is proving its worth. I record normally in 1080/50p but I have the choice of 1080/50i or MP4. The camera has a useful 1/2 speed and 1/4 speed slow motion option as well as 5 time lapse settings, a 50x zoom which can be extended and a useful 29.5mm wide angle lens. The audio will record in 5.1 surround sound and the four microphones are protected with a wind shield. Plus there are both external mic and headphone sockets.

IMO worth a look.
post #38 of 39 Old 07-31-2014, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terfyn View Post
The Panasonic HC-V750 with hybrid OIS has proved in a test to outperform the Sony BOSS system, basically because the 750 is a newer camera with an improved lens system and the BOSS has been around a while.
IMO the projector on the Sony is not worth the money, I use a HDMI lead direct into my HD TV for viewing raw footage.
I got my 750 in March of this year and it is proving its worth. I record normally in 1080/50p but I have the choice of 1080/50i or MP4. The camera has a useful 1/2 speed and 1/4 speed slow motion option as well as 5 time lapse settings, a 50x zoom which can be extended and a useful 29.5mm wide angle lens. The audio will record in 5.1 surround sound and the four microphones are protected with a wind shield. Plus there are both external mic and headphone sockets.

IMO worth a look.

I just sent you a PM. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for the recommendation.
post #39 of 39 Old 07-31-2014, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared717 View Post
I just sent you a PM. Please let me know what you think. Thanks for the recommendation.
Just sent one more question to you "Terfyn". Thanks again for the help.
Reply Camcorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page