Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 90 Old 04-24-2014, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have the hd hero 2 and 3 and I am wondering what a good quadcopter for them would be.
I have already looked at the DJI phantom ( the original one with the gopro mount ) but I am not happy with the vibration that travels through the camera
Any advice would be appreciated smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 Old 04-24-2014, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 44
How high is your budget? DJI probably makes the best drones for cameras in that price range, at least the ones with a gimbal.. Also, they have improved with their newer models. Their are lots of others that are far more expensive.
Not sure if you'll find too many people here who are experts in this field anyway. I don't own any myself although I do plan on it in the future.

This place is more suitable for your question.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Multicopter/
post #3 of 90 Old 04-24-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

My budget can pretty much go to $800 or maybe a bit over (australian dollars that is) I just found an isolation mount by Camzilla that claims to reduce vibration and jello effect so I wonder if it will work. Oh well guess I'll keep poking around, just the low price of the first phantom at the moment Has me caught

post #4 of 90 Old 04-24-2014, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
This is the brand I will purchase, using a 2ndary cam (with viewer at my end) for POV flight operations for long distance

https://store.3drobotics.com
post #5 of 90 Old 01-23-2016, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Never mind the old thread revival. Funnily enough i still havent found a quadcopter i would buy. Just waiting for the technology to mature a little. Im interested to see how the new quad that gopro is teasing will turn out. Although if anything like their cameras the price may be a bit high.
post #6 of 90 Old 02-01-2016, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc26 View Post
Never mind the old thread revival. Funnily enough i still havent found a quadcopter i would buy. Just waiting for the technology to mature a little. Im interested to see how the new quad that gopro is teasing will turn out. Although if anything like their cameras the price may be a bit high.
You really should check out the Phantom 3 Pro. Very mature and polished. It's in a different league than the Phantom 1 or 2 (even though it looks the same.) The sensor is the same one in a GoPro, but with a rectilinear lens, so the image quality is very nice. It has incredible range (thanks to Lightbridge), and it's incredibly stable. I haven't seen anything from GoPro that leads me to believe it will be a Phantom killer.

You can get a good idea of the image quality here:
https://www.skypixel.com/creations?type=popular

I've also seen some great deals on the Advanced model, which is very similar. It still has Lightbridge and the GoPro sensor. The biggest difference is no 4k video, but there are also some other little things, like a smaller charger and lower bitrates for recording and live preview.

Last edited by rcohen; 02-01-2016 at 06:59 AM.
post #7 of 90 Old 02-01-2016, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 234
post #8 of 90 Old 02-01-2016, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Stuff to look at with these:
Image quality
Range
Battery life
Portability
Stability
Ease of use
Price
post #9 of 90 Old 02-01-2016, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

DJI customer service :
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1SV9JQ...94&store=photo

Last edited by jogiba; 02-01-2016 at 08:57 AM.
post #10 of 90 Old 02-01-2016, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I realized I wasn't being explicit about this...

It doesn't make sense to get a drone that can hold your GoPro, even though that seems like it should save money.

You can get better value and features by going with some of the integrated camera options.
post #11 of 90 Old 02-01-2016, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogiba View Post
DJI customer service :
They've actually fixed that, thankfully. It definitely used to be a weak point.
post #12 of 90 Old 02-01-2016, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The OP asked for a unit to use with his GoPro but I agree, get a unit that comes with 4K camera and handheld SteadyGrip for capturing video footage to get the most bang for your buck.
https://www.yuneec.com/products/aerialuav/q500_4k
post #13 of 90 Old 02-01-2016, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to Redskulll
i used to have a dji phantom 2 that i was using with a 3 axes gimbal with a gopro 3. I gave up and use a phantom 3 with its camera. I find it much better
post #14 of 90 Old 02-01-2016, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskulll View Post
i used to have a dji phantom 2 that i was using with a 3 axes gimbal with a gopro 3. I gave up and use a phantom 3 with its camera. I find it much better
Which one did you get?
The range, stability, and image quality on the Pro is just incredible. No way I could go back to a wifi drone.

Jogiba, I don't think you realize how big the difference is.
That included handheld gimbal is pretty cool, though.
I also liked those variable sensitivity wheels in that video.
Looking at the specs, 120fps is also cool.

Only 600m range is a killer, though, compared to 3km. Maybe it doesn't feel as bad with the lower top speed, but that's a massive difference in area.
The image quality is much better on the p3s, based on the samples.
I've also heard about the IQ difference from people who had both.
On those videos you posted, the Yuneec's stability looks worse than the p3pro, despite the larger size.
The p3pro is so stable it can make sharp 8 second exposures at night. It's crazy - like an invisible tripod.
post #15 of 90 Old 02-01-2016, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

600m range is not a killer for me since that is almost 2,000 ft. I also like that it's more quiet.

Last edited by jogiba; 02-01-2016 at 04:16 PM.
post #16 of 90 Old 02-01-2016, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
600m range is not a killer for me since that is almost 2,000 ft. I also like that it's more quiet.
Those videos look cool! It would be fun to fly one, if I ever get the chance.
The Q500's included case is also a really nice benefit, since you have to buy that separately with a Phantom.

I agree that quiet is good. Balancing the props and flying higher helps, but I do get nervous that my neighbors will get crazy ideas with all the sensationalist press.

In case anyone reading this is trying to decide, one positive on the Phantoms is that you can get cases that are in-spec as a carry on. That's really nice if you want to bring it when you travel. With that larger Q500, you would need to bring the batteries on carry on, but check the drone itself. What good is a bulky SLR in the closet, if you never want to take it anywhere?

After going from a P2V+ (800m range Wifi to a 5" phone) to the P3P (3km range Lightbridge with rock solid HD video on an 8-10" tablet), the difference Lightbridge that makes is HUGE! It really changes how you use it when you have such a clear view and 30x more room to fly and explore (comparing 600m to 3km.) You should really experience that!
post #17 of 90 Old 02-01-2016, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input guys, its nice to see the alternatives.

I've considered most options from the p3 pro to buying a black magic micro cinema camera (if they ever get around to releasing it) and mounting it on a larger, more expensive rig.

It is hard to go past the convenience of the phantom 3 pro. I might look into it more. I researched the previous phantoms heavily and issues with firmware, stability and customer service put me off.

I wonder what room there is for grading in the p3's image. I would be trying to match the look of my gh4.

As far as the yuneec quads go, i will do some research. I havent heard a ton about them in the past but then again these things are popping up left and right. Promo video looks good, but then again when do they not.

I might also have a second look at the 3dr solo now that its released. Although if i remember correctly initial impression were that it was disappointing. And i have grown to hate fisheyed footage in most situations

Obviously my original budget is out the window.
post #18 of 90 Old 02-01-2016, 11:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I've considered most options from the p3 pro to buying a black magic micro cinema camera (if they ever get around to releasing it) and mounting it on a larger, more expensive rig.

It is hard to go past the convenience of the phantom 3 pro. I might look into it more. I researched the previous phantoms heavily and issues with firmware, stability and customer service put me off.

I wonder what room there is for grading in the p3's image. I would be trying to match the look of my gh4.

As far as the yuneec quads go, i will do some research. I havent heard a ton about them in the past but then again these things are popping up left and right. Promo video looks good, but then again when do they not.

I might also have a second look at the 3dr solo now that its released. Although if i remember correctly initial impression were that it was disappointing. And i have grown to hate fisheyed footage in most situations

Obviously my original budget is out the window.
With the DJI stuff, you have to keep in mind that there are so many more owners that that you hear a lot more of everything, including problems. I haven't had any trouble, and neither have most people. The service thing was definitely a real concern, but now I mostly hear good stuff. People who do have hardware failures typically get their drones replaced for free, once they see the logs. They also use the logs to do rapid firmware patches when there are problems to fix.

With grading, the RAW stills are no problem, of course, but 8-bit video is like any other 8-bit video. It depends on how aggressive you get with the curves. Aside from that, you can use the built-in tone settings to try to get close before it gets reduced to 8 bits.

If you really want to get close to the GH4 and blow your budget, check out the Inspire X5 or X5R if you like color grading. The Phantom 3P has equivalent video quality to the standard Inspire. In practice, though, the Inspire's articulation and 2-person control would be big benefits for serious use. For hobby use, though, the $ is hard to justify, when the P3Pro gets so close.

Compared to the Yuneec, the key video quality advantages of the P3Pro are:
1) Smaller FOV (much better for nice photos & video)
2) Less barrel distortion
3) More sensitive Sony sensor

That said, the Yaneec's video quality is much better than the older Phantom 2s.

BTW, on the P3Pro, you get the best video quality by using 4k recording (even if you intend to downsample to 1080) and using ND filters to reduce the shutter speed (no iris, until you get up to the X5).

In terms of budget, here are a few more expenses to worry about:
1) A second battery. 2 total is enough for me, but some people get more.
2) A case - ideally one where you can leave the props on for less setup hassle.
3) ND filters
4) If you don't already have one, an iPad Air 2 or iPad Mini 4 - the anti-glare coating makes a HUGE difference.
5) Optional: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Foldable-Cop...wAAOSwnH1WWfYO
post #19 of 90 Old 02-01-2016, 11:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

That's cool...it's awesome to see where things are heading. For that caliber, check out the X5 and Osmo, although you'd have to go up to the X5R to get RAW. $$$$$
post #20 of 90 Old 02-02-2016, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Cant believe i missed all the alternate versions of the inspire that have popped up. Impressive. Thanks for drawing my attention to them.

Im with-holding judgment on the black magic micro cinema camera until i see test footage with the global shutter. As that will be a killer feature that most "drone" mounted cameras will/should have in the future.

But i think 4k just about equals the importance of global shutter, because it wil give me the ability to do a bit of re-framing in post. It would be nice to have both.
post #21 of 90 Old 02-02-2016, 01:40 AM - Thread Starter

Its probably in my best interests to start with a phantom 3 pro, the only other quad ive ever flown is the toy grade hubsan.

The only thing i really dislike about the phantom range is the landing gear. Does it still get in the frame like it did with the older models?
post #22 of 90 Old 02-02-2016, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
Those videos look cool! It would be fun to fly one, if I ever get the chance.
The Q500's included case is also a really nice benefit, since you have to buy that separately with a Phantom.

I agree that quiet is good. Balancing the props and flying higher helps, but I do get nervous that my neighbors will get crazy ideas with all the sensationalist press.

In case anyone reading this is trying to decide, one positive on the Phantoms is that you can get cases that are in-spec as a carry on. That's really nice if you want to bring it when you travel. With that larger Q500, you would need to bring the batteries on carry on, but check the drone itself. What good is a bulky SLR in the closet, if you never want to take it anywhere?

After going from a P2V+ (800m range Wifi to a 5" phone) to the P3P (3km range Lightbridge with rock solid HD video on an 8-10" tablet), the difference Lightbridge that makes is HUGE! It really changes how you use it when you have such a clear view and 30x more room to fly and explore (comparing 600m to 3km.) You should really experience that!
The new Yuneec Typhoon H folds up and comes with a backpack !

Last edited by jogiba; 02-02-2016 at 06:06 AM.
post #23 of 90 Old 02-02-2016, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Cant believe i missed all the alternate versions of the inspire that have popped up. Impressive. Thanks for drawing my attention to them.

Im with-holding judgment on the black magic micro cinema camera until i see test footage with the global shutter. As that will be a killer feature that most "drone" mounted cameras will/should have in the future.

But i think 4k just about equals the importance of global shutter, because it wil give me the ability to do a bit of re-framing in post. It would be nice to have both.
The global shutter is definitely a big deal. I understand that using ND filters can help with shutter artifacts, although I haven't tried that, yet.
post #24 of 90 Old 02-02-2016, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Its probably in my best interests to start with a phantom 3 pro, the only other quad ive ever flown is the toy grade hubsan.

The only thing i really dislike about the phantom range is the landing gear. Does it still get in the frame like it did with the older models?
Sometimes the get goes in the frame when you go full throttle left and/or there are strong winds coming from the left. The camera is a bit off-center to the left, due to the gimbal, which contributes to this. The landing gear is a bit wider than the older models, so this happens less. At least you can easily see when this is happening in the live view, so that helps remind you to go slower or else pan left to right. Panning right to left looks awkward to me, anyway, for some reason. I'm glad they at least offset the camera to the left and not the right.

It's more common for the props to get in the shot when you go full throttle forward. To avoid that, you can slow down, angle the camera down more, or film the shot in reverse (if you're really committed.)

Aside from keeping the props and landing gear out of the shot, I have heard that the dual operator mode on the Inspire makes a huge difference. I also heard having one person focus on flying while another focuses on the camera leads to much smoother, more cinematic results - apparently, the biggest benefit of the Inspire. Of course, taking two people to pull that off could be a problem. With a lot of practice, it should be possible to get similar results with the Phantom, but apparently it's effortless with two people on the Inspire.

Cropping 4k is certainly a nice option. In addition, simply recording at 4k and downsampling to 1080 gives significantly sharper results. I assume that's related to compression. 60fps is only available at 1080, though. Lower frame rates look a lot better with ND filters.

Another feature that's worth checking out is long exposures. With the good sensor and an 8 second exposure, you can do some nice night shooting. It's remarkable that sharp 8 second exposures are possible!

As you said, starting with the P3Pro is probably a good call. Since you plan to use it pretty seriously, I'd recommend considering an iPad Air 2, or perhaps waiting for the rumored Air 3 (March?). The anti-glare coating on the newer iPads makes a huge difference, as well as the bigger screen size relative to iPad Minis (at the cost of some added weight).
post #25 of 90 Old 02-02-2016, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The new Yuneec Typhoon H folds up and comes with a backpack !
That's definitely cool! From the videos, it also looks more stable and more compact than the Q500.

Do you know if they improved the range or image quality (FOV and/or sensor)?
Any word on price?

Last edited by rcohen; 02-02-2016 at 07:39 AM.
post #26 of 90 Old 02-02-2016, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

post #27 of 90 Old 02-02-2016, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

400m range - not good.
115 degree fov.

The fov is different than the Q500, which might mean a new camera setup. I'd rather see a smaller fov, although wider may be helpful with the limited range.

Also, they increased the screen size from 5" to 7", which is definitely an improvement.

Yuneec is definitely getting more compelling, though.
post #28 of 90 Old 02-02-2016, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Some tips for getting started:

1) Make sure you remove the packing foam and plastic guard on the gimbal before turning it on.
2) You can practice in the simulator (included) to get a feel for it.
3) Do a compass calibration, wait for GPS lock, and set the Return To Home height before flying.
4) If you panic, just let go of the sticks. It will hold its position. Get your bearings, and start slow. Don't jerk on the sticks if you're about it crash. You'll probably send it the wrong way.
5) If you lose track of it, you can always select Return To Home or simply turn off the controls. It will fly itself back to you.

It's actually a LOT easier to fly than a Hubsan-style quad. It mostly flies itself.
post #29 of 90 Old 02-02-2016, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I forgot to mention, if you get a new iPad, a cellular model is best using with DJI. It includes GPS, plus the data connection is handy for downloading maps or authorizing in certain locations, if you don't do this stuff in advance.
post #30 of 90 Old 02-02-2016, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm all set Took it out past a mile and a little extra and still had video. I think I will be keeping her in close now, got it out of my system, Now I can just enjoy some in close flyin.

I don't see a distance problem with the Yuneec Q500 4K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Camcorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page